Hanley in the lineup!

Hanley is Clutch

Ideally I'd like to see something like

1: Maybin

2: Baker

3: Hanley

But I'm not sure it will start the season that way. Hanley has improved with RISP this year, but we'll see what the team does with him. I doubt he'll bat anywhere outside of the top 3 spots in the order anytime soon. Hopefully Hanley will feel ready to bat #3 in the order this year.

I think Hanley goes to 3 hole. Maybin, Baker, hanley, the 4 spot could be interesting depending on whos here. Its gota be either Uggla or Cantu. Both are pretty good with guys on. I think uggla was th best on the team with guys on, putting the ball in play and gettin walks.

well its kinda early and we dont kno who we might get in trades but as of now i think i like

1.Maybin

2.Hanley

3.Cantu

what you guys think about randy winn in Rf 4 us next year just speculating

nah...dont like like it.

1.Maybin

2.open

3.Ramirez

4.Cantu

5.open

6.Uggla

7.Ross

8.open

9.pitcher

didnt throw baker in the mix b/c i heard the marlins will sign pudge (i hope so...nice 1, 2 combo behind the plate).

well its kinda early and we dont kno who we might get in trades but as of now i think i like

1.Maybin

2.Hanley

3.Cantu

what you guys think about randy winn in Rf 4 us next year just speculating

nah...dont like like it.

1.Maybin

2.open

3.Ramirez

4.Cantu

5.open

6.Uggla

7.Ross

8.open

9.pitcher

didnt throw baker in the mix b/c i heard the marlins will sign pudge (i hope so...nice 1, 2 combo behind the plate).

Where did you hear that? And why, when they have an up and coming young catcher, would they want a guy who's in the decline of his career?

The only thing Rodriguez does better than Baker offensively is hit lefties. Maybe if Pudge was ready to be a platoon player, I could see it but he'll still be demanding a starter's salary next year.

I would love to speculate on this, but it has so many variables. In limited action this year, Maybin was ridiculous. But, what if he has a lackluster ST and the club decides he needs more seasoning? Where will the Marlins go with trades?

If Maybin has a bad ST, I think the end result will just be him batting 7th or 8th and Hanley staying leadoff. Unless he gets hurt, Maybin will be starting next year in CF. The OF will be changing enough as it is.

If Hanley-Cantu-Uggla is our 3-4-5 I think we could see three 100 RBI guys in this lineup.

That will as much depend on Maybin and Baker hitting ahead of them. But that said, I agree that it does improve the odds of them putting up those bigger numbers.

Pudge is not coming. If he didn't want to stay for 2004 he's not gonna be anymore on the same page with the FO as far as salary and terms now. Unless he suddenly decides to ask for a lot less money and is happy being a backup catcher, it ain't happening.

Ideally I'd like to see something like

1: Maybin

2: Baker

3: Hanley

But I'm not sure it will start the season that way. Hanley has improved with RISP this year, but we'll see what the team does with him. I doubt he'll bat anywhere outside of the top 3 spots in the order anytime soon. Hopefully Hanley will feel ready to bat #3 in the order this year.

that's what i would want our 1-3 hitters to be.

1. Raynor

2. Baker

3. Hanley

4. Cantu

5. Sanchez

6. Maybin

7. Ross

8. Coghlan

9. Pitcher

Seriously. This sh*t needs to stop. He isn't a corner OF at the MLB level.

---

The team needs to create lineup stability, while being able to alternative players in and out based on splits. And I'm just talking about C, 1B, and 3B with that.

RHP

CF Maybin R (.273/.351/.443, 16/4 S, AA level. Not bad for a 21 year old); Short stint MLB 13/24, 2 BB, 4/0 SB)

SS Hanley R (.313/.403/.580, 25/9 SB, 2008)

C Baker L (.327/.417/.487 2008; .297/.381/.514 AAA)

1B G. Sanchez/Cantu R (Cantu .272/.318/.472 MLB; G. Sanchez .287/.381/.438 AA)

RF Hermida L (Ugly 2008, Career .271/.347/.449, 2007 .889 OPS)

2B Uggla R (.283/.377/.578 2008)

LF Cody R (.249/.304/.451 2008)

3B McPherson L (.288/.397/.644 AAA)

You hope Maybin comes out gangbusters like Hanley did as a rookie and produces some sort of positive OBP in the spot, and the rest should fall into place. There is a combination of OBP potential and mild slugging at the top, which gives an inference to small ball and "run production" (terms I hate, but are nontheless relevant in discussing what they should do), and 6-7-8 is just flat out bombs away. Take the .250/.300/.500 to the bank and don't bat that guy cleanup like we did this year.

LHP

CF Maybin R (.287/.435/.495, 5/3 SB, AA level; Short stint MLB 3/8, 1 BB)

SS Hanley R (.258/.389/.402, 10/3 SB, 2008)

3B Cantu R (.293/.355/.510 MLB)

1B G. Sanchez R (.375/.456/.680 AA)

LF Cody R (.285/.342/.569 2008)

2B Uggla R (Ugly 2008, Career .251/.333/.430, 2007 .829 OPS)

RF Hermida L (Ugly 2008, Career .253/.332/.397, 2007 .813 OPS)

C "need a right handed catcher who hits lefties" R (Baker did drill LHP in AAA, but his 2008 MLB line .213/.316/.319 will probably be the norm)

The Marlins 1-5 will absolutely drill lefties, and if Uggla and Hermida get back their career, let alone 2007 rates, we will murder lefties.

What this does is create relative lineup stability. 1, 2, and 6 are always the same, Baker is always at the top, it allows Cantu to always bat 3-4 where they seem to like him, Sanchez always 4th as the purest contact hitter we have, Hermida and Cody switch 5/7 depending on the pitching, McPherson to always bash at the bottom, and whatever about the 8th spot vs LHP at the catcher position.

It creates protection, as the most important player in this lineup that we need to promote growth with is Maybin and he has the best hitter on the team behind him. Likewise, this is also helping Hermida by him having the second best hitter on team behind him most of the time, and probable more runners on base with the 5th slot to hopefully have him see better pitches. It helps G. Sanchez because he will have an excellent spot with the top OBP threats in the lineup before him and hopefully a revitalized Hermida behind him to provide him with protection. This also protects Gaby vs RHP by not making him the outright starter and forcing him to platoon with Cantu.

It creates production, by putting your speed at the top (I don't necessarily believe this one, but this is how they are going to do it on the field so that has to be accounted for), a real hitter in front of Hanley to better take advantage of his slugging, Baker behind the speed who will see billions of pitches even if he isn't the traditional # 3 style hitter and will produce a very positive OBP, your next best contact hitters behind them to have your best chance of consistent run production versus the all other nothing sluggers who you can leave 6-7-8 and they will do the same as if they were anywhere in the lineup. This maximizes your offensive output.

And, it splits up your lefties vs RHP adequately enough.

I'm not opposed to other lineup orientations, like making Hanley 3rd, because any lineup without Hanley batting # 1 is a better lineup, but this is the best idea I can come up with. And I know someone is going to complain that I am setting the lineup in stone by being overly detailed about this, but of course there will be days off, player hot streaks, etc, that will dictate current performance rather than a base lineup to work off of.

I also haven't thought of alternatives with Coghlan yet. I'm still hopeful they keep Uggla at least another year. 4-5 young hitters (Maybin, Baker, Sanchez, McPherson, and maybe another catcher) is already pushing it. Especially with Hermida having a lot to prove, and Cantu and Cody being very average hitters where even a slight regression could be felt a lot. Taking out an overall .850 OPSing 2B for Coghlan, is really pushing it with everything else we have going on with the club. They should keep Uggla at least for next year.

1. Raynor

2. Baker

3. Hanley

4. Cantu

5. Sanchez

6. Maybin

7. Ross

8. Coghlan

9. Pitcher

Could you finally give me a reason as to why Raynor is not a corner outfielder? He has played in either left or right field in 260 of his 280 career games. The only other position he has ever played is center, where he only played 20 games and had an abysmal fielding %.

1. Raynor

2. Baker

3. Hanley

4. Cantu

5. Sanchez

6. Maybin

7. Ross

8. Coghlan

9. Pitcher

Could you finally give me a reason as to why Raynor is not a corner outfielder? He has played in either left or right field in 260 of his 280 career games. The only other position he has ever played is center, where he only played 20 games and had an abysmal fielding %.

Raybor will not start in the OF next season he gives up to much power for a corner Of he'l def back up Maybin in CF or come in as a Defensive replacement or Pinch Runner but Hermida is more likly to start in RF anyway if not then Cody

As For Hanley.

Anything can really happen with his bat he can bat 1st 2nd or 3rd it all depends who's starting around him and who the Maneger is

1. Raynor

2. Baker

3. Hanley

4. Cantu

5. Sanchez

6. Maybin

7. Ross

8. Coghlan

9. Pitcher

Raybor will not start in the OF next season he gives up to much power for a corner Of he'l def back up Maybin in CF or come in as a Defensive replacement or Pinch Runner but Hermida is more likly to start in RF anyway if not then Cody

As For Hanley.

Anything can really happen with his bat he can bat 1st 2nd or 3rd it all depends who's starting around him and who the Maneger is

He won't be in the majors at all next year. He's not ready.

1. Raynor

2. Baker

3. Hanley

4. Cantu

5. Sanchez

6. Maybin

7. Ross

8. Coghlan

9. Pitcher

As For Hanley.

He won't be in the majors at all next year. He's not ready.

Umm, thats arguable but i dont think he'll start in the majors either but eventually he'll get his shot i:e Injury or total meltdown of a position player and he's most likely getting the call but he;ll definatly be up In September

Umm, thats arguable but i dont think he'll start in the majors either but eventually he'll get his shot i:e Injury or total meltdown of a position player and he's most likely getting the call but he;ll definatly be up In September

With Maybin starting and Amezaga backing him up (if and when we go to arbi with him), he'll be nowhere around this team for a while.

As For Hanley.

If Hermida ends up playing left field, we wouldn't have a powerful left fielder anyway.

1. Raynor

2. Baker

3. Hanley

4. Cantu

5. Sanchez

6. Maybin

7. Ross

8. Coghlan

9. Pitcher

Raynor, defensively, can play all outfield positions but should be a center fielder as he has a good arm and tons of range with his ridiculous speed. The only problem is that he's always been blocked at CF in our minor leagues, last year by Greg Burns and this year by Maybin.

Despite only playing a couple games at CF while in the organization, he played CF all 4 years playing college ball for UNC-Wilmington.

Raynor is a CF who is stuck at the corners.

finally?

I've been saying forever on this board every time I see someone do this, why this is not a good idea. Everyone pretty much covered this already, but he doesn't have the power for a corner spot. Yes, his slugging has been cool the last two years of the minors, but he doesn't have the body type or swing (universal among scouts) to hit for a lot of power in the bigs. What this is going to do is, better pitchers at higher levels are going to challenge him more because there is no fear of him blasting a mistake (You can make this same argument for Coghlan, but two things stand out with him. First, he is a middle infielder where it is acceptable not to hit as much as a corner OF slot, and second, Coghlan has about half the K rate which will make him a better transition because he should make consistent contact). This is overall, going to hurt a player like Raynor a lot, who won't be able to keep up the average with more strikes thrown and that K rate I alluded to. When he does hit, it will not be for power, which would be the only other way he could make an offensive contribution. He does BB a bit which is very useful, but his OBP potential is simply not going to be high enough for him to live in a corner. Likewise for defense, where a corner OF slot isn't going to great a massive defensive production swing like a place like SS or CF would.

Now if we didn't have Maybin, I wouldn't mind flirting with Raynor in CF and see if he can maybe become a poor man's Victorino and hit something like .270/.340/.400 with the excellent SB totals and defense. That is a solid starting calibre CF. Nothing special, but nothing embarrassing either. But with Maybin in town, Raynor has no business playing in center now and forever, and absolutely no business in a corner sparing a rash of injuries. Ideally, I would like to see Raynor turn into our 5th outfielder and hit that low 700 OPS line above. That would be an incredibly useful baseball to have around because that is solid offensive production, speed, and good defense. As for 2009, he should live in New Orleans (AAA affiliate) and then show up on the MLB roster in September and fight for a bench job Spring 2010.

finally?

I've been saying forever on this board every time I see someone do this, why this is not a good idea. Everyone pretty much covered this already, but he doesn't have the power for a corner spot. Yes, his slugging has been cool the last two years of the minors, but he doesn't have the body type or swing (universal among scouts) to hit for a lot of power in the bigs. What this is going to do is, better pitchers at higher levels are going to challenge him more because there is no fear of him blasting a mistake (You can make this same argument for Coghlan, but two things stand out with him. First, he is a middle infielder where it is acceptable not to hit as much as a corner OF slot, and second, Coghlan has about half the K rate which will make him a better transition because he should make consistent contact). This is overall, going to hurt a player like Raynor a lot, who won't be able to keep up the average with more strikes thrown and that K rate I alluded to. When he does hit, it will not be for power, which would be the only other way he could make an offensive contribution. He does BB a bit which is very useful, but his OBP potential is simply not going to be high enough for him to live in a corner. Likewise for defense, where a corner OF slot isn't going to great a massive defensive production swing like a place like SS or CF would.

Now if we didn't have Maybin, I wouldn't mind flirting with Raynor in CF and see if he can maybe become a poor man's Victorino and hit something like .270/.340/.400 with the excellent SB totals and defense. That is a solid starting calibre CF. Nothing special, but nothing embarrassing either. But with Maybin in town, Raynor has no business playing in center now and forever, and absolutely no business in a corner sparing a rash of injuries. Ideally, I would like to see Raynor turn into our 5th outfielder and hit that low 700 OPS line above. That would be an incredibly useful baseball to have around because that is solid offensive production, speed, and good defense. As for 2009, he should live in New Orleans (AAA affiliate) and then show up on the MLB roster in September and fight for a bench job Spring 2010.

If you're trying to compare Raynor to Coghlan, Coghlan trails Raynor basically in every category except stikeouts. I know it is more acceptable for a second baseman to have less power, and not be as good of a hitter as a left fielder should be, but I think you're underestimating what Raynor could do straight out of the minors.

One person I like to compare him to is Carl Crawford. A speedy left fielder, who is a decent fielder and does not hit for power. Crawford only hit 5 home runs in his first full season in the MLB, but batted .281 and stole 55 bases. He was a great contributor in his first full season, just like Raynor could be. Not to mention Raynor walked more than triple the amount of times Crawford walked in his final rookie season, and Raynor had an outstanding .402 OBP. Not all left fielders must hit for power, and power isn't the only way you can contribute to a team.

Dont forget, since Maybin is almost a lock to be next year's center fielder, currently, the only other available options for corner outfielders would be Ross and Hermida. Cody would be good in right, but Hermida barely has more power than Raynor, and I dont think he would put up that much better stats than John would.