Wes Helms Signs 2 Year Deal

Schnellders

MLB.com:

When Wes Helms rejoined the Marlins in early April, the veteran infielder made it clear he had a comfort level in Florida.

Helms reaffirmed his desire to stay with the team on Friday when he agreed to terms on a two-year, $1.9 million contract. The 32-year-old, who batted .243 with five home runs and 31 RBIs in 132 games this past year, will make $950,000 in both 2009 and '10.

The Marlins acquired Helms from the Phillies on April 5, and he had a club option of $3.75 million for 2009, plus a $750,000 buyout.

Rather than test the free agent market, Helms opted to remain with the Marlins, where he projects to provide veteran leadership while being a spot player at either third base or first base.

In the final game of the season, Helms belted a solo home run in the eighth inning that snapped a game that was tied at two. The Marlins ended up beating the Mets, 4-2, in the final game at Shea Stadium.

In '08, Helms was in his second stint with the Marlins. In '06, he played in 140 games for Florida. The next year, he signed with the Phillies, with whom he gained playoff experience after Philadelphia won the National League East. Helms is one of two Marlins under multi-year contracts. He joins All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez, who is signed for six years at $70 million.

lol?

Could that signal the end for Cantu?

Or maybe Gaby?

I mean, both of those guys have more trade value than Dallas so I'd assume they would be the ones moves (And Gaby was on the list that we gave Pitt of available guys during the Manny trade).

At that point then you have Dallas/Helms platoon at third and then Cantu or Gaby at first, depending on which stays.

Hey, a multi-year contract! Didn't think Helms would be the first one after Hanley to get one. And I don't see this as meaning Helms will be starting (or even platooning). If that happens, we have a problem. I'd prefer Cantu at third and Gaby at first with Wes backing both of them up.

Agree, not sure why everyone is clawing for Dallas to be a starter next year. Let him show he's healthy and productive for more than a season.

He needs to show me that he can actually hit a fastball right down the middle. We have all seen in his VERY few at bats in the majors that he couldn't hit a fastball down the middle to save his life

lol?

Could that signal the end for Cantu?

Or maybe Gaby?

I mean, both of those guys have more trade value than Dallas so I'd assume they would be the ones moves (And Gaby was on the list that we gave Pitt of available guys during the Manny trade).

At that point then you have Dallas/Helms platoon at third and then Cantu or Gaby at first, depending on which stays.

Doubt it very much. I think signing Cantu is a priority for the team. Wes was signed as a bench player that is a veteran club house leader.

What surprised me is that he agreed to so little. Beinfest read that one the right way and jumped at the opportunity. Very nice job.

Really? This splits to a .600 OPS vs RHP, .775 OPS vs LHP the last 2 years. So he can start at 3B vs LHP with McPherson vs RHP. But like, what do they do with G. Sanchez now? AAA? Does he come up and start, or does Cantu become the predominant 1B.

I want to know if they are paying the buyout or not. Is this deal really $1.9, or is it $1.15. I will sleep better at night with $1.15

I will hold judgment until I see what they do with Cantu, G. Sanchez, and McPherson, but this is a very skeptical signing.

Really? This splits to a .600 OPS vs RHP, .775 OPS vs LHP the last 2 years. So he can start at 3B vs LHP with McPherson vs RHP. But like, what do they do with G. Sanchez now? AAA? Does he come up and start, or does Cantu become the predominant 1B.

I want to know if they are paying the buyout or not. Is this deal really $1.9, or is it $1.15. I will sleep better at night with $1.15

I will hold judgment until I see what they do with Cantu, G. Sanchez, and McPherson, but this is a very skeptical signing.

They signed him to come off the bench, Lou.

Wes is good at his job, being a bench guy used for pinch hitting and used as a defensive replacement.

This year as a PH, he hit .317/.378/.537 and hit .308/.383/.446 with RISP.

Plus, he's taking chump change to stay here.

Why does everyone presume McPherson will be involved in the infield next year?

Presuming Jacobs goes which looks extremely likely I think the majority of games will see Sanchez at 1B and Cantu at 3B. However with the news of re-signing Helms today, I think he will see a few more starts in 09 than 08 and in which case will see him at 3B and Cantu at 1B.

Wes is good at his job, being a bench guy used for pinch hitting and used as a defensive replacement.

This year as a PH, he hit .317/.378/.537 and hit .308/.383/.446 with RISP.

Plus, he's taking chump change to stay here.

He's basically useless except against LHP. That's a pretty big luxury for the Marlins to have on the bench.

They don't have this kind of money (if the report is true that $30-35 is the estimated payroll) to be spending on the bench unless they trade five major arbitration cases. Gregg, Olsen, Jacobs, and Willingham you can easily see as going. This signing is basically putting the wheels in motion to axe Uggla, Cantu, Cody, or Hermida. I'd rather keep those guys, then keep 3 and have a little sexier bench. That is why I am annoyed.