How far will the Fish Go?

dr marlin

As far as pitching and defense takes them. Pitching should be better for 2009 with a whole season of JJ and Anibal hopefully the starters eat some some innings so the pen doesn't fall apart in August. With a defensive upgrade at 1b with the eventual loss of Jake and having Maybin in CF all year the play in the field will get better. Its too early in the offseason totell which free agents end up where, but I see the Marlins finishing with a winning record.

I think the keys to success for the Marlins next year is the following: if Uggla is traded, how will Coghlan replace him, and will Andrew Miller be a consistent pitcher next year if he replaces Olsen, which he most likely will. If Coghlan and Miller play great if they are a part of the team next year, then I think we would be frontrunners to take the division.

I think the keys to success for the Marlins next year is the following: if Uggla is traded, how will Coghlan replace him, and will Andrew Miller be a consistent pitcher next year if he replaces Olsen, which he most likely will. If Coghlan and Miller play great if they are a part of the team next year, then I think we would be frontrunners to take the division.

Also...will we have some luck with the pen, as the Phillies & Rays have had this year?

Also think about McPhearson and Gaby panning out, If Maybin can Continue success and Can the Bullpen hold leads and shutdown offenses in the Late Innings

To me a Real big thing Next Season will be Jeremy Hermida.

Erick, if Ryan Tucker or Matt Lindstrom can become a solid closer, and maybe if we retain another lefty reliever in free agency (or just resign Rhodes) then I think that we will have a solid bullpen. After all, a bullpen basically needs a good closer to be an established bullpen. Look at the Mutts, ever sense they lost Wagner, their bullpen exploded. And the Brewers had no closer, period, making the entire bullpen change, thus making one of their strengths a weakness. So if Tucker or Lindstrom can become a good closer (and they have what it takes, they just need to put it together) then our bullpen should be a strong one.

Erick, if Ryan Tucker or Matt Lindstrom can become a solid closer, and maybe if we retain another lefty reliever in free agency (or just resign Rhodes) then I think that we will have a solid bullpen. After all, a bullpen basically needs a good closer to be an established bullpen. Look at the Mutts, ever sense they lost Wagner, their bullpen exploded. And the Brewers had no closer, period, making the entire bullpen change, thus making one of their strengths a weakness. So if Tucker or Lindstrom can become a good closer (and they have what it takes, they just need to put it together) then our bullpen should be a strong one.

But thats 2 out of maybe 6 or 7

we need more then That

If Joe No Resigns (which he shoud for 800k) then thats 3

then Tankersly is questionable but he's gonna be back.

Then who else Maybe the 1 or 2 guts we get in the Olsen Jacobs or Uggla treade but its really up to the FO to get the job done

The Mets bullpen sucked with/without Wagner.

You need solid middle relief, as well.

The thing with relievers is that you never know. They rise and fall every year. Just look at the Rays.

I believe in the guys we have...however, as you said, it's still an "if" which = question mark, to open the season.

The thing with relievers is that you never know. They rise and fall every year. Just look at the Rays.

I believe in the guys we have...however, as you said, it's still an "if" which = question mark, to open the season.

We got pretty lucky with relief this year too.

Joe Nelson? Doug Waechter? Even Mark Hendrickson. That certainly helped us have the 5th best relievers' ERA in the NL.

I think Coghlan will have to have a spectacular spring to be our starting second baseman next season. This team wants to improve its speed and defense, and Robert Andino fits that mold to a tee. Throw Andino out there, let Coghlan get a little more time in the minors, and it can only be good. If Andino has any offensive success (which I believe he just might), it builds his future trade value for when Coghlan IS ready. And who knows, that could be as soon as the deadline, when we can trade Andino out for a nice bullpen arm and bring up Coghlan to take over.

Joe Nelson? Doug Waechter? Even Mark Hendrickson. That certainly helped us have the 5th best relievers' ERA in the NL.

But those 3 could be gone.

What I'm saying is...we're going to need to have performances like that from unprovens, regardless of who signs and who doesn't. And if Nelson does come back...he's going to have to prove that he wasn't a one year wonder.

As I said...relievers rise & fall each and every year.

I think Coghlan will have to have a spectacular spring to be our starting second baseman next season. This team wants to improve its speed and defense, and Robert Andino fits that mold to a tee. Throw Andino out there, let Coghlan get a little more time in the minors, and it can only be good. If Andino has any offensive success (which I believe he just might), it builds his future trade value for when Coghlan IS ready. And who knows, that could be as soon as the deadline, when we can trade Andino out for a nice bullpen arm and bring up Coghlan to take over.

I don't think the organization sees anything in Andino, especially considering how little he showed worth seeing in his time in the bigs. Add that to the fact that they keep in in AAA, with the rest of the less desirable players in the system, and I don't think Andino has much of a shot at all at being our starting 2B.

That would leave Coghlan as our starter which would improve our "speed" but not our defense.

But those 3 could be gone.

What I'm saying is...we're going to need to have performances like that from unprovens, regardless of who signs and who doesn't. And if Nelson does come back...he's going to have to prove that he wasn't a one year wonder.

As I said...relievers rise & fall each and every year.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.

I don't think the organization sees anything in Andino, especially considering how little he showed worth seeing in his time in the bigs. Add that to the fact that they keep in in AAA, with the rest of the less desirable players in the system, and I don't think Andino has much of a shot at all at being our starting 2B.

That would leave Coghlan as our starter which would improve our "speed" but not our defense.

I completely disagree. Andino could probably start for a number of major league teams next season, and I'm sure there has been slight interest in him. Speed isn't the main focus of improvement, either. DEFENSE is key this off-season, and Andino definitely brings that to the table. And Andino is kept in triple-A, because who is the double-A second baseman? And you have to consider the amount of time Andino has been in our system. How long can you keep someone in double-A before they need to advance?

If the front-office deems Coghlan ready to hit at the next level, he'll be there. BUT, I don't believe that will be the case.

I completely disagree. Andino could probably start for a number of major league teams next season, and I'm sure there has been slight interest in him. Speed isn't the main focus of improvement, either. DEFENSE is key this off-season, and Andino definitely brings that to the table. And Andino is kept in triple-A, because who is the double-A second baseman? And you have to consider the amount of time Andino has been in our system. How long can you keep someone in double-A before they need to advance?

If the front-office deems Coghlan ready to hit at the next level, he'll be there. BUT, I don't believe that will be the case.

The Marlins leave their better prospects in AA. Hence the reason why Coghlan was in AA...and Andino was in AAA.