Trade Talk

gomarlins9703

The Marlins have decided to raise their payroll to the $30-$35 million range and have been in serious talks to trade Mike Jacobs, officials in contact with the team's front office said. They're also expected to deal Scott Olsen (to make room for Andrew Miller in the rotation) and Kevin Gregg. But there is internal support for keeping Dan Uggla.

The Marlins, who had a $22 million payroll in 2008, wanted to deal Jacobs to Kansas City, but the deal died last week because of a medical issue involving the minor-league pitcher that Florida would have received. The Marlins also spoke to Toronto and San Francisco about Jacobs.

''Jacobs and Gregg are the most available,'' one rival general manager said. ''They haven't put Uggla out there'' -- though several teams inquired. The Marlins have decided they value Uggla's power and run production and it ''will take an insanely high offer'' to move him, one official said.

The Marlins believe prospect Gaby Sanchez will capably replace Jacobs. But they could shift Jorge Cantu -- whom they want to keep -- to first base if Sanchez flops. Marlins executive Admin Beinfest, who declined to discuss the fate of the Marlins' 16 arbitration-eligible players, said Sanchez and third baseman Dallas McPherson are ''ready'' for big-league jobs.

One official said the Marlins are still mulling whether to trade or keep Jeremy Hermida and/or Josh Willingham (both arbitration-eligible), but Beinfest wouldn't discuss that. ''There is still a lot of upside to Hermida,'' Beinfest said. ''Willingham, hopefully his back will be healthy.'' Several teams inquired about Hermida. Beinfest -- speaking in general -- said there has been ``a lot of interest in our players.''

Though Cameron Maybin is the front-runner, Beinfest said center field ''will be a competition'' and that he's also ''pleased with'' Cody Ross and Alfredo Amezaga (both arbitration-eligible).

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/baseball/story/741667.html

none of this surprising, although never would've thought KC would've made a move like that. I personally think he is going to the Giants, most likely for a minor league prospect with the value much like Gaby Hernandez's was. I would like to keep Olsen for security reasons in case Miller flops, but that may cause friction within the clubhouse

i really don't understand why KC would need Jake

they have Butler, Shealy, Gordon and Tehen who can all play 1B with Ross Gloud on the bench

I would trade Jake to a West Coast Team like San Fran or Seatle maybe even the Angels could try to pick him up as they are in need of a 1st Baseman

As much as we dog on Jake, he has done much more in the majors than any of these guys.

Damn are we good here or what? since the season has ended we have speculated on these issues, for the most part we have been right on the money. Jake would fit well with KC...Hmm I wonder who was that minor league pitcher that was being offered by KC? Well Jake is outta here anyway.

It has been no secret that Jake was on the block. Just like Gregg, Scotty, Hermida, Hammer, etc... So now if just one or two guys gets traded out of all those names we are going to sit back and say we are so good around here for saying he/they would??? Whatever.

This is still just rumor. But I would be hesitant to think we would trade Jake to anyone for JUST a minor league pitching prospect. With the guys we have on the cusp of being called up, that one pitching prospect must be a real toe curler to Beinfest. And if he is that good then other teams that need pitching alot more than we do are going to be offering alot more than Jake for him. I really doubt someone of that evident caliber is being kept a secret just between KC and us.

i really dont want to trade mike....if he just cuts the strikouts down a little bit he is a great lefty threat which he already is

That isn't my only beef with Mike. His glove is a drawback as well. At times he really flashes it. Most times it is below average, IMO. If he could show some consistency with it then I wouldn't have a real big problem keeping him at least another year either. Laziness or does he take that laid back California surfer boy attitude a bit too far?

i really dont want to trade mike....if he just cuts the strikouts down a little bit he is a great lefty threat which he already is

I think this is more a function of your lying eyes... yes, he has good power, but his .299 OBP??? That's the lowest on the team for a position player. Compare him with our other high K players, and he is a bigger drain than a boon. He's really not worth it to our team for the raise he's going to get, considering we can put McPhearson out there and get comparable production for probably 400k instead of 3-4 million. Whoever they put at first (probably Cantu) will be an upgrade defensively. I have no problem trading Jake if it means keeping other pieces.

I think this is more a function of your lying eyes... yes, he has good power, but his .299 OBP??? That's the lowest on the team for a position player. Compare him with our other high K players, and he is a bigger drain than a boon. He's really not worth it to our team for the raise he's going to get, considering we can put McPhearson out there and get comparable production for probably 400k instead of 3-4 million. Whoever they put at first (probably Cantu) will be an upgrade defensively. I have no problem trading Jake if it means keeping other pieces.

While I don't like Jacobs I would much rather trade Hammer and maybe Hermida before him. Those power numbers are very impressive and we've all seen what he can do when he looks the other way. But I wouldn't be upset if he is gone.

i really don't understand why KC would need Jake

they have Butler, Shealy, Gordon and Tehen who can all play 1B with Ross Gloud on the bench

I would trade Jake to a West Coast Team like San Fran or Seatle maybe even the Angels could try to pick him up as they are in need of a 1st Baseman

As much as we dog on Jake, he has done much more in the majors than any of these guys.

And yet every GM in baseball would take Butler and Gordon over Jacobs (and with good reason)