What the Hammer and Olsen trade could mean?

fastball83

We know that our FO is able to put our budget to 35-40 millions, but with this move we down our salary............but we buy complement players......so perhaps we are speaking with a big name of MLB (ala bonds, teixera or other).

that could explain this move because Admin is one of the best....and he have made this deal with an idea.

Opinions ?

this trade does save us money. in spite of the alarmist posts last night calling for the head of Beinfest and suggesting that this is part of "another fire-sale", this trade is probably a good thing for the fish in the long run. It saves money that could be better spent elsewhere by trimming off what was essentially dead weight. Addition by subtraction - remember how we all bought into that concept after the Jacobs deal? Well addition by subtraction means we dont get anything in return and its still a good deal. Some of that thinking applies here.

Yes, we have more money to spend elsewhere after this deal, but I seriously doubt that the Marlins splurge heavily after saving what will probably be around 4-5 million. But that kind of money, plus another 4 million from Gregg and maybe someone else, can get us a decent FA pick up, or two. Dont expect that this move means we are thinking of pursuing Manny Ramirez or Texiera, though. Not likely, as mentioned above, not our style. Arthur Rhodes would be a more realistic guess, but rumor has it he is holding out for a long term deal, which I don't think the Marlins wanna give him.

Also, for those hating on the FO after this deal, keep in mind what the economy is doing right now. Do any of you really know how much money 5 million dollars is? The economy has done significantly worse since it was announced that the payroll would be expanded. Might have something to do with the player trade market right now. Many teams will be moving towards a Marlin-like approach when money is geting tight. Makes it harder to move arbitration eligible sooon-to-be-overpaid players.

Marlins will be signing Pudge Rodriguez for 7 million, and 3 years, MARK MY WORDS.

They aren't signing Pudge, it would make no sense, he'll want way more money than he's worth, and he wouldn't even get the bulk of the starts if they did sign him. Anyone giving him 3 years seems pretty ridic really (although the Yankees like to make terrible signings like that).

Would be nice to see a big name player signed but I dont think its gonna happen

It aint our style

Normally, Id agree with you here, except if they really do plan on increasing payroll and they just dumped some arbitration eligible players we would have to be adding a fat stack of money to the play roll. Im confident that they will.

That being said, this trade could be the trigger to an Uggla trade, having Coughlan being backed up by Bonifacio at 2nd. Who knows? (I hope not)

It aint our style

I mean it make sense we just got rid of Olsen, Hammer and Jacobs and we barely got anything in return but salary space. Our salary is also supposed to rise and how is that possible if we're freeing up salary space?? Either Free Agency or signing players to bigger contacts that's how.

It aint our style

I mean it make sense we just got rid of Olsen, Hammer and Jacobs and we barely got anything in return but salary space. Our salary is also supposed to rise and how is that possible if we're freeing up salary space?? Either Free Agency or signing players to bigger contacts that's how.

Yeah something has got to happen, but the biggest being Uggla. This could mean they were making room for an Uggla extension, or it could mean they were producing depth backing up Coughlan when Uggla is traded. Hopefully its option one, and then perhaps getting rid of Gregg and signing relievers.

Marlins payroll was $21.8 in 2008.

If we entered the season tomorrow, payroll is basically DOUBLED even jettisoning Jacobs, Olsen, and Willingham.

C John Baker $405,000

1B Gaby Sanchez $400,000

2B Dan Uggla $4,400,000

3B Jorge Cantu $4,500,000

SS Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000

LF Jeremy Hermida $2,500,000

CF Cameron Maybin $400,000

RF Cody Ross $3,000,000

B Dallas McPherson $550,000

B Wes Helms $950,000

B Alfredo Amezaga $1,750,000

B Emilio Bonifacio $410,000

B Rabelo $400,000

SP Josh Johnson $1,750,000

SP Ricky Nolasco $3,000,000

SP Chris Volstad $405,000

SP Andrew Miller $1,350,000

SP Anibal Sanchez $420,000

RP Kevin Gregg $5,000,000

RP Matt Lindstrom $420,000

RP Joe Nelson $800,000

RP Leo Nunez $420,000

RP Reynel Pinto $420,000

RP Logan Kensing $550,000

RP Eulogio De La Cruz $400,000

$40,100,000

The basic arbitration comps should average each other out from my over and under estimations, so this is a solid roundball idea.

I expect 2-4 more arbitration cases shed. In order of likelihood Gregg, Amezaga, Kensing, Cantu, Uggla. That still reflects a $10 million increase from 2008, without signing free agents.

Yeah something has got to happen, but the biggest being Uggla. This could mean they were making room for an Uggla extension, or it could mean they were producing depth backing up Coughlan when Uggla is traded. Hopefully its option one, and then perhaps getting rid of Gregg and signing relievers.

Why would we sign Uggla longterm? We have his rights for 3 years, and by then he probably ceases being a useful player from his skill set. We also have B, C+, and C level prospects with Coghlan, Bonifacio, and Andino who can cover 2B. Not a priority. Those guys aren't Uggla's slugging, but they are worth transitioning to and selling Uggla in a year or so. Got to get rid of a guy a year early before a year to late.

We have to many relievers already, without Gregg.

MLB pen - Lindstrom, Nunez, Nelson, Pinto, Kensing, Cruz, Meyer (DFA J. Delgado)

Minors Pen 1 - Tankeresly, Tucker, Mobley, Doolittle, (Owens if back healthy) and SP converts Vanden Hurk, Badenhop, Trahern

Minors Pen 2 - Wood, Leroux, C. Martinez, Marceaux, H. Garcia, and SP converts Thompson, Sinkbiel, West, Winters, G. Taylor

Plus minor league free agents we've been money on lately - Gardner, J. Miller, Waecther, etc

This mess needs to be sorted out through attrition. I will always welcome more arms, but the pen isn't an area where we are struggling for talent. The team should be able to 7 guys from this behind our obvious 5 SP. We're in good shape. Signing someone, just so we can DFA someone else, is a bad idea. We need to go into camp with this core, and in June if everyone sucks and we're contending, we can go out and get a reliever.

Priorities are a bench 1B/OF for 2009, a young catcher, and additional SP depth as all the guys listed above. Only West is premium, Thompson is ok, and Vanden Hurk, Sinkbiel, etc are probably going to start being groomed for the pen. Need depth in the upper minors to supplant the MLB squad in case of injury.

Why would we sign Uggla longterm? We have his rights for 3 years, and by then he probably ceases being a useful player from his skill set. We also have B, C+, and C level prospects with Coghlan, Bonifacio, and Andino who can cover 2B. Not a priority. Those guys aren't Uggla's slugging, but they are worth transitioning to and selling Uggla in a year or so. Got to get rid of a guy a year early before a year to late.

Because it would probably save the team money for each of those three years if they signed him now for that long? That and the fact that none of those backup 2B can hold Uggla's jock.

Because it would probably save the team money for each of those three years if they signed him now for that long? That and the fact that none of those backup 2B can hold Uggla's jock.

Bingo, and not to sound annoying but who said an extension is supposed to be long term? Is that some kind of misconception that has developed from being a Marlins fan? Anything other than being 1 or 2 year contracts is "long-term"? An extension is just adding years on to a contract. It does not need to be long term.

Marlins payroll was $21.8 in 2008.

If we entered the season tomorrow, payroll is basically DOUBLED even jettisoning Jacobs, Olsen, and Willingham.

C John Baker $405,000

1B Gaby Sanchez $400,000

2B Dan Uggla $4,400,000

3B Jorge Cantu $4,500,000

SS Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000

LF Jeremy Hermida $2,500,000

CF Cameron Maybin $400,000

RF Cody Ross $3,000,000

B Dallas McPherson $550,000

B Wes Helms $950,000

B Alfredo Amezaga $1,750,000

B Emilio Bonifacio $410,000

B Rabelo $400,000

SP Josh Johnson $1,750,000

SP Ricky Nolasco $3,000,000

SP Chris Volstad $405,000

SP Andrew Miller $1,350,000

SP Anibal Sanchez $420,000

RP Kevin Gregg $5,000,000

RP Matt Lindstrom $420,000

RP Joe Nelson $800,000

RP Leo Nunez $420,000

RP Reynel Pinto $420,000

RP Logan Kensing $550,000

RP Eulogio De La Cruz $400,000

$40,100,000

The basic arbitration comps should average each other out from my over and under estimations, so this is a solid roundball idea.

I expect 2-4 more arbitration cases shed. In order of likelihood Gregg, Amezaga, Kensing, Cantu, Uggla. That still reflects a $10 million increase from 2008, without signing free agents.

Bingo, and not to sound annoying but who said an extension is supposed to be long term? Is that some kind of misconception that has developed from being a Marlins fan? Anything other than being 1 or 2 year contracts is "long-term"? An extension is just adding years on to a contract. It does not need to be long term.

There is -0- point in buying out 3 years of Dan then taking him year to year. If we sign him, it's for a minimum 4 years and a club option. You really aren't saving any money for how far progressed he is as a player. This needed to happen after year 1 or 2 for realistic cost-savings.

And I think Coghlan is going to be a pretty good hitter.