March 30, 200917 yr I figured now's the time to buy, right? Just put an offer on a small house up here in Tally, but fully renovated. I only have to put down $500 on the house and my monthly payments, including insurance and taxes, is $540 a month. Not to mention the $8,000 stimulus check I get for buying the house. Guys, if you're a first time buyer and you have the credit, jump on this market. Now is the time.
March 30, 200917 yr Congrats man, and you're right, now is the time to buy. I only wish I were a few years further along.
March 30, 200917 yr Awesome. Very nice house. Is that street by Moe's? I drive by there everyday to go to class.
March 30, 200917 yr I figured now's the time to buy, right? Just put an offer on a small house up here in Tally, but fully renovated: . I only have to put down $500 on the house and my monthly payments, including insurance and taxes, is $540 a month. Not to mention the $8,000 stimulus check I get for buying the house. Guys, if you're a first time buyer and you have the credit, jump on this market. Now is the time. I am in the process of buying a new house as well. The closing is scheduled for April 9th. A few things to keep in mind. You get $8,000 or 10% of the sale price of the house, whichever is smaller. I believe you will only get $7500. Also, its a tax credit so you have to pay taxes in order to get some of it back. If you only paid $4,000 in taxes this year you can file amended 2008 taxes and get that now. You would then have to get the remaining $3500 next year. I am pretty sure that's how it works. $540 all in is SICK!. It would be foolish to pass that up since you cannot even find rents that low. Also, dont forget you need about $3000 for closing costs and you have to pay an insurance premium up front. For a house of that value, it should be more than $300 for the year.
March 30, 200917 yr Wow, that is cheap. I wonder when houses down here will get to that price. Although a friend of mine found a house in PSN for 110k. Nice house! Goodluck with the bid!
March 30, 200917 yr Author I figured now's the time to buy, right? Just put an offer on a small house up here in Tally, but fully renovated: . I only have to put down $500 on the house and my monthly payments, including insurance and taxes, is $540 a month. Not to mention the $8,000 stimulus check I get for buying the house. Guys, if you're a first time buyer and you have the credit, jump on this market. Now is the time. I am in the process of buying a new house as well. The closing is scheduled for April 9th. A few things to keep in mind. You get $8,000 or 10% of the sale price of the house, whichever is smaller. I believe you will only get $7500. Also, its a tax credit so you have to pay taxes in order to get some of it back. If you only paid $4,000 in taxes this year you can file amended 2008 taxes and get that now. You would then have to get the remaining $3500 next year. I am pretty sure that's how it works. $540 all in is SICK!. It would be foolish to pass that up since you cannot even find rents that low. Also, dont forget you need about $3000 for closing costs and you have to pay an insurance premium up front. For a house of that value, it should be more than $300 for the year. Well, the seller is paying $3,000 towards closing costs. The real estate agent told me I they can add anything that I can't come up with upfront to the loan when the financing is secured, so all I have to come up with is the $500 downpayment and the appraisal/inspection because I qualify for downpayment assistance. I actually still haven't filed my taxes this year, and have to do so in the next two days. So if I file and I owe the gov. like $1,000 in taxes (I'm not on a W-2, I'm commish based) I can ammend my taxes for this year so I end up getting a return instead of having to pay? Awesome. Very nice house. Is that street by Moe's? I drive by there everyday to go to class. Yes. It's on Stadium, which becomes Basin once you go accross Tennessee St.
March 30, 200917 yr nice. have they accepted your offer yet? hopefully you close by april 30 to get that t.v. my brother is actually closing on a house in miramar on april 30. he got it for around $249,000 I believe. It's a pretty big house.
March 30, 200917 yr Author nice. have they accepted your offer yet? hopefully you close by april 30 to get that t.v. my brother is actually closing on a house in miramar on april 30. he got it for around $249,000 I believe. It's a pretty big house. I find out later today if they accept, which I doubt they will. The offer was for $67,000, which I expect them to counter. The closing date is set for April 30th as well.
March 30, 200917 yr Also, its a tax credit so you have to pay taxes in order to get some of it back. Usually tax credits can be used even if you don't owe any taxes so you would get a refund even if you didn't owe any taxes. I don't know the particulars about this credit other than what you wrote but I doubt it would be treated differently from other credits.
March 30, 200917 yr nice. have they accepted your offer yet? hopefully you close by april 30 to get that t.v. my brother is actually closing on a house in miramar on april 30. he got it for around $249,000 I believe. It's a pretty big house. What are you talking about a tv? My brother just made an offer on some house here in kendall for $250. Whats up with that stimilus $8k? I didn't know about that. How does that work.
March 30, 200917 yr nice. have they accepted your offer yet? hopefully you close by april 30 to get that t.v. my brother is actually closing on a house in miramar on april 30. he got it for around $249,000 I believe. It's a pretty big house. What are you talking about a tv? My brother just made an offer on some house here in kendall for $250. Whats up with that stimilus $8k? I didn't know about that. How does that work. the website that wildcard posted said that whoever closes on that house by april 30 will get a 42 inch t.v. that's only for that house, not every house.
March 30, 200917 yr Author nice. have they accepted your offer yet? hopefully you close by april 30 to get that t.v. my brother is actually closing on a house in miramar on april 30. he got it for around $249,000 I believe. It's a pretty big house. What are you talking about a tv? My brother just made an offer on some house here in kendall for $250. Whats up with that stimilus $8k? I didn't know about that. How does that work. the website that wildcard posted said that whoever closes on that house by april 30 will get a 42 inch t.v. that's only for that house, not every house. Haha, yea. And I JUST bought a 42" Phillips flat screen two weeks ago, so I guess I'll have two?
March 30, 200917 yr I figured now's the time to buy, right? Just put an offer on a small house up here in Tally, but fully renovated: . I only have to put down $500 on the house and my monthly payments, including insurance and taxes, is $540 a month. Not to mention the $8,000 stimulus check I get for buying the house. Guys, if you're a first time buyer and you have the credit, jump on this market. Now is the time. I am in the process of buying a new house as well. The closing is scheduled for April 9th. A few things to keep in mind. You get $8,000 or 10% of the sale price of the house, whichever is smaller. I believe you will only get $7500. Also, its a tax credit so you have to pay taxes in order to get some of it back. If you only paid $4,000 in taxes this year you can file amended 2008 taxes and get that now. You would then have to get the remaining $3500 next year. I am pretty sure that's how it works. $540 all in is SICK!. It would be foolish to pass that up since you cannot even find rents that low. Also, dont forget you need about $3000 for closing costs and you have to pay an insurance premium up front. For a house of that value, it should be more than $300 for the year. Well, the seller is paying $3,000 towards closing costs. The real estate agent told me I they can add anything that I can't come up with upfront to the loan when the financing is secured, so all I have to come up with is the $500 downpayment and the appraisal/inspection because I qualify for downpayment assistance. I actually still haven't filed my taxes this year, and have to do so in the next two days. So if I file and I owe the gov. like $1,000 in taxes (I'm not on a W-2, I'm commish based) I can ammend my taxes for this year so I end up getting a return instead of having to pay? BTW great news for me and you. Looks like I was wrong! I read that the tax credit is "refundable." What does that mean? The fact that the credit is refundable means that the home buyer credit can be claimed even if the taxpayer has little or no federal income tax liability to offset. Typically this involves the government sending the taxpayer a check for a portion or even all of the amount of the refundable tax credit. For example, if a qualified home buyer expected, notwithstanding the tax credit, federal income tax liability of $5,000 and had tax withholding of $4,000 for the year, then without the tax credit the taxpayer would owe the IRS $1,000 on April 15th. Suppose now that the taxpayer qualified for the $8,000 home buyer tax credit. As a result, the taxpayer would receive a check for $7,000 ($8,000 minus the $1,000 owed). http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/2009/faq.php#1
March 30, 200917 yr This is the time to buy! I wish I knew more about it, I need to learn more about it. I am young and I do have good credit.. In your opinion where should I start to learn more about it? Sick little house you got there Wild Card! GOOD LUCK MAN!
March 30, 200917 yr Author This is the time to buy! I wish I knew more about it, I need to learn more about it. I am young and I do have good credit.. In your opinion where should I start to learn more about it? I didn't know much about it, and I'm only 19 but I have perfect credit (after all, I am a credit consultant). I just started looking for houses, found this one, saw it, and put an offer in. The Real Estate agent has really helped me with everything I've needed so far. And because I own my own business, I have an easy way to prove income and consistent job history. Normally the FHA downpayment is 3.5% (around $2,500 for the home I'm buying) but I qualify for assistance, so I only have to come up with $500. Plus, the closing costs are added to the loan. If you're interested in purchasing a home, if you can prove consistent job history the past two years, your credit is good, and your income is steady, you can do it right now. The prices are right, the rates are right, and the tax rebate is most certainly right. I'm going to get a nice big check just for buying a home and pay off all my debt. Then, the only outstanding debt I'll have is only my mortgage. The stimulus plan is perfect for me...!
March 30, 200917 yr ^^ Wow! Thats awesome man! Ive been wanting to get a house for awhile now... Just dont know where to start! You just used online listings and stuff to find the house you put a bid on?
March 30, 200917 yr ^^ Wow! Thats awesome man! Ive been wanting to get a house for awhile now... Just dont know where to start! You just used online listings and stuff to find the house you put a bid on? http://www.nationalcitymortgage.com/ Start there. You can fill out your info and see what you pre qualify for. That should be your first step. It will give an idea of what you can afford. I'm not saying you have to use them, but that who we are using and they are awesome. They got us an FHA loan. After they tell you whats the most they will lend you, you can start looking for properties. www.realtor.com is a good place to start. Keep in mind that FHA loans require 3.5% down, as wild card mentioned. The good news is that you get the $8,000 credit if you buy a home between now and November 30th, so you are basically getting whatever you put down right back. Closing costs usually range from 3,000-5,000 but can be included in your loan if you buy the house from an actual person. This does not apply to foreclosures or short sales (bank owned).
March 30, 200917 yr ^^ Wow! Thats awesome man! Ive been wanting to get a house for awhile now... Just dont know where to start! You just used online listings and stuff to find the house you put a bid on? Also, I'm not certain what your primary purpose of buying a house is, but... what about looking at a 2 family house? I'm not sure how common they are in Florida, but they are pretty common up in New England. The house we are closing on is a 2 family house (we're going to turn it into a 3). Each floor of the house is a separate apartment. It makes sense for us because the monthly payments including taxes and insurance will be about $1500. However, we should be able to pull in $900-$1000 from the first floor. That leaves us living on two floors for $500 a month.
March 30, 200917 yr I figured now's the time to buy, right? Just put an offer on a small house up here in Tally, but fully renovated: . I only have to put down $500 on the house and my monthly payments, including insurance and taxes, is $540 a month. Not to mention the $8,000 stimulus check I get for buying the house. Guys, if you're a first time buyer and you have the credit, jump on this market. Now is the time. um.......why would you put the house we may be living in on here? I swear you like to tell people everything about your life, and mine as well. :thumbdown ... I understand you are looking for advice and trying to help people out.. but at the same time.... I personally dont want the address and picture of where we may be living somewhere for everyone to know.
March 30, 200917 yr Sweet stuff Wild Card and Jets... Im going to take this much more seriously this summer when I have some time to sit down and get stuff together... GOOD LUCK Wild Card! Enjoy it!
March 30, 200917 yr Wild Card - Note that this so called "tax credit" is actually a loan that you'll have to pay back. http://ftp.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186831,00.html How and when is the credit repaid? A. The first-time homebuyer credit is similar to a 15-year interest-free loan. Normally, it is repaid in 15 equal annual installments beginning with the second tax year after the year the credit is claimed. The repayment amount is included as an additional tax on the taxpayer's income tax return for that year. For example, if you properly claim a $7,500 first-time homebuyer credit on your 2008 return, you will begin paying it back on your 2010 tax return. Normally, $500 will be due each year from 2010 to 2024. You may need to adjust your withholding or make quarterly estimated tax payments to ensure you are not under-withheld. However, some exceptions apply to the repayment rule. They include: If you die, any remaining annual installments are not due. If you filed a joint return and then you die, your surviving spouse would be required to repay his or her half of the remaining repayment amount. If you stop using the home as your main home, all remaining annual installments become due on the return for the year that happens. This includes situations where the main home becomes a vacation home or is converted to business or rental property. There are special rules for involuntary conversions. Taxpayers are urged to consult a professional to determine the tax consequences of an involuntary conversion. If you sell your home, all remaining annual installments become due on the return for the year of sale. The repayment is limited to the amount of gain on the sale, if the home is sold to an unrelated taxpayer. If there is no gain or if there is a loss on the sale, the remaining annual installments may be reduced or even eliminated. Taxpayers are urged to consult a professional to determine the tax consequences of a sale. If you transfer your home to your spouse, or, as part of a divorce settlement, to your former spouse, that person is responsible for making all subsequent installment payments.
March 30, 200917 yr Author Wild Card - Note that this so called "tax credit" is actually a loan that you'll have to pay back. http://ftp.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186831,00.html How and when is the credit repaid? A. The first-time homebuyer credit is similar to a 15-year interest-free loan. Normally, it is repaid in 15 equal annual installments beginning with the second tax year after the year the credit is claimed. The repayment amount is included as an additional tax on the taxpayer's income tax return for that year. For example, if you properly claim a $7,500 first-time homebuyer credit on your 2008 return, you will begin paying it back on your 2010 tax return. Normally, $500 will be due each year from 2010 to 2024. You may need to adjust your withholding or make quarterly estimated tax payments to ensure you are not under-withheld. However, some exceptions apply to the repayment rule. They include: If you die, any remaining annual installments are not due. If you filed a joint return and then you die, your surviving spouse would be required to repay his or her half of the remaining repayment amount. If you stop using the home as your main home, all remaining annual installments become due on the return for the year that happens. This includes situations where the main home becomes a vacation home or is converted to business or rental property. There are special rules for involuntary conversions. Taxpayers are urged to consult a professional to determine the tax consequences of an involuntary conversion. If you sell your home, all remaining annual installments become due on the return for the year of sale. The repayment is limited to the amount of gain on the sale, if the home is sold to an unrelated taxpayer. If there is no gain or if there is a loss on the sale, the remaining annual installments may be reduced or even eliminated. Taxpayers are urged to consult a professional to determine the tax consequences of a sale. If you transfer your home to your spouse, or, as part of a divorce settlement, to your former spouse, that person is responsible for making all subsequent installment payments. Incorrect. That is the $7,500 tax credit that Bush put through for 2008 as part of his stimulus. This is an $8,000 (or 10% of the sale price) tax credit that Obama put through in his stimulus plan, which does not have to be repaid.
March 30, 200917 yr Wild Card - Note that this so called "tax credit" is actually a loan that you'll have to pay back. http://ftp.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186831,00.html How and when is the credit repaid? A. The first-time homebuyer credit is similar to a 15-year interest-free loan. Normally, it is repaid in 15 equal annual installments beginning with the second tax year after the year the credit is claimed. The repayment amount is included as an additional tax on the taxpayer's income tax return for that year. For example, if you properly claim a $7,500 first-time homebuyer credit on your 2008 return, you will begin paying it back on your 2010 tax return. Normally, $500 will be due each year from 2010 to 2024. You may need to adjust your withholding or make quarterly estimated tax payments to ensure you are not under-withheld. However, some exceptions apply to the repayment rule. They include: If you die, any remaining annual installments are not due. If you filed a joint return and then you die, your surviving spouse would be required to repay his or her half of the remaining repayment amount. If you stop using the home as your main home, all remaining annual installments become due on the return for the year that happens. This includes situations where the main home becomes a vacation home or is converted to business or rental property. There are special rules for involuntary conversions. Taxpayers are urged to consult a professional to determine the tax consequences of an involuntary conversion. If you sell your home, all remaining annual installments become due on the return for the year of sale. The repayment is limited to the amount of gain on the sale, if the home is sold to an unrelated taxpayer. If there is no gain or if there is a loss on the sale, the remaining annual installments may be reduced or even eliminated. Taxpayers are urged to consult a professional to determine the tax consequences of a sale. If you transfer your home to your spouse, or, as part of a divorce settlement, to your former spouse, that person is responsible for making all subsequent installment payments. Incorrect. That is the $7,500 tax credit that Bush put through for 2008 as part of his stimulus. This is an $8,000 (or 10% of the sale price) tax credit that Obama put through in his stimulus plan, which does not have to be repaid. This is correct. It was a $7500 no interest loan, but now its a true credit. I was about to close on a house in December and it didnt work out. Luckily waiting four months got us $8000!
March 31, 200917 yr Author Update: I was pre-approved for the loan today. My offer of $67,000 was countered with $70,000, which I gladly accepted. I signed the agreement papers this evening, and my down payment has gone to escrow. Now, I give them all the info to officially secure the loan within the next 10 days. Once that's done, it's pretty much a done deal.
March 31, 200917 yr Best of luck to you in your new home. At 19 no less, that's great! You should be proud of youself.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.