May 17, 200917 yr I know Graham Taylor is amazing in the Minors and Koronka has some experience but they are absolutely horrible. Is there any chance we trade Uggla before the break for a starter?
May 17, 200917 yr I know Graham Taylor is amazing in the Minors and Koronka has some experience but they are absolutely horrible. Is there any chance we trade Uggla before the break for a starter? we said this a long time ago. If we are not in contention come the trade deadline, Uggla is traded. Sadly his sh*tty play may leave us to get little value for him at this point (we will still get some value though).
May 17, 200917 yr I doubt we will trade Uggla. I remember we had tons of pitchers in the minors who were great... they totally disappeared.
May 17, 200917 yr I think we have been spoiled in that Johnson, Volstad and Sanchez were outstanding as soon as they came up. Now we are witnessing what happens more often that not.
May 17, 200917 yr I think we have been spoiled in that Johnson, Volstad and Sanchez were outstanding as soon as they came up. Now we are witnessing what happens more often that not. With these guys, maybe less with Johnson than the other two, they were heralded prospects. There's a reason why some pitchers aren't prospects despite reasonable numbers in the minors. If scouts thought they had what it takes at the majors, they would already be genuine prospects. I should mention Miller, the all-potential top prospect. The difference between Miller and the other three you have mentioned is that Miller has never had any extended period of success even in the upper minors. He still has a lot to learn about pitching and he wasn't allowed by either organization he has been in to do that in the lower pressure environment of the minors.
May 17, 200917 yr I think the problem is our rotation right now is all homegrown talent (save for maybe Miller, but still, all are very young). They either have only one or two years of good to great pitching or were injured for some time, so they are still relatively unproven. Add to the fact that they are homegrown, meaning what we are left with in the minors is either pitching preparing for the next wave of the future (in a few years) or pitchers who straddle the line between the bigs and the minors, it leaves us a bit behind the 8-ball when we need spot starters, as either our elites are up already or we have so much turnover up top we are running everyone through the wringer.
May 17, 200917 yr If you expected much more than this out of Koronka, you were sadly mistaken. Yeah I think he would do well out of the pen but he isn't a starting pitcher... Not a Major league starting pitcher anyway... Not at this stage in his career... Maybe down the road but right now he is best sutted to pitch out of the pen. Well right now he's back in AAA but im just saying thats where he would do well up here... But he just isn't an MLB starting pitcher.
May 17, 200917 yr i just don't understand why they won't give penn or badenhop the shot to start penn will probably get the next 5th start... So relax lol
May 17, 200917 yr I think we have been spoiled in that Johnson, Volstad and Sanchez were outstanding as soon as they came up. Now we are witnessing what happens more often that not. I agree but we cant do good with just Johnson and Volstad pitching well
May 17, 200917 yr Johnson is the only guy we can really rely on. Volstad has pitched well, but he's also young and going to have his struggles at times. I HOPE to god Ricky turns it around. It also seems like when they finally get some good pitching, no one hits the ball.
May 17, 200917 yr Im willing to give Penn a start but not Badenhop Hopper has been pretty bad his last few outings and is leaving his fastball right over the plate. To add on RVH was placed on the 60 day DL so where not seeing him anytime soon
May 17, 200917 yr Im willing to give Penn a start but not Badenhop Hopper has been pretty bad his last few outings and is leaving his fastball right over the plate. To add on RVH was placed on the 60 day DL so where not seeing him anytime soon From what I hear, just a roster move. He's going to be eligible to come back in not too long since he's already been out for a while. Not that I'm looking forward to more of RVH but he is better than Taylor and Koronka.
May 17, 200917 yr Im willing to give Penn a start but not Badenhop Hopper has been pretty bad his last few outings and is leaving his fastball right over the plate. To add on RVH was placed on the 60 day DL so where not seeing him anytime soon From what I hear, just a roster move. He's going to be eligible to come back in not too long since he's already been out for a while. Not that I'm looking forward to more of RVH but he is better than Taylor and Koronka. Excuse me!? He is the best Dutch pitcher we have!
May 18, 200917 yr Just for the heck of it I checked and Burke Badenhop's day time ERA is 9.31(MLB, ESPN says 7.31), his night 0.00. What to make of that? Not sure, it's both home and away. Today he clearly ran out of gas out there, I was initially thinking it could be the heat, but not all his day time appearances were at home and not all his daytime appearances were in warm weather climates. But obviously hitters seem him better during the day than the night.
May 18, 200917 yr It seems to me like the organization has done everything they can not to start either Penn or Badenhop. I don't think either one would be spectacular but I do know that Badenhop at least can pitch remotely competent at times- something that Taylor and Koronka could not do. Bandehop looked a lot more poised than Miller when he was on the mound- not that the numbers were any better.
May 18, 200917 yr If the Marlins trade Uggla at the break, meaning they are out of contention, you would think they would be getting prospects in return rather than starting players.
May 18, 200917 yr Whats up with all the negative threads, Koronka was a stretch, Taylor wasn't ready, and RVH is hurt, some times you get chicken salad sometimes you get chicken $h!t.
May 18, 200917 yr If the Marlins trade Uggla at the break, meaning they are out of contention, you would think they would be getting prospects in return rather than starting players. It's always a risk, but you're almost always going to be able to get a prospect with a much higher (potential) ceiling than an established player you could get in return. And being that we are likely not going to be in contention, getting a mediocre established player instead of a high ceiling prospect is not likely, especially for this franchise.
May 18, 200917 yr Whats up with all the negative threads, Koronka was a stretch, Taylor wasn't ready, and RVH is hurt, some times you get chicken salad sometimes you get chicken $h!t. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm just flat out mad that our season has pretty much been ruined by our front office's lack of interest in providing starting pitching depth, especially considering the injury history of our starters. We all know that Taylor and Koronka were bad, but its that the team put us in this situation thats really beyond frustrating. Its not uncommon to have two starting pitchers go down by this point in the season. In fact, almost every other team in the majors has lived through the same thing. Thats why teams have to find some way to have backup plans, either through prospects, members of the bullpen who can convert, or veterans stashed in AA. Apparently, we had none.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.