Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hermida's Future

Featured Replies

For those you worried about Hermida's future, the Braves MLB reporter suggests the better trade would be JH for Francoeur. Why? Because Fredi gave him the nickname "Frenchy". Good baseball logic there. :brigginbounce

 

"...Frenchy rumors: While the Marlins may not have been willing to trade Cody Ross for Jeff Francoeur, I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of Francoeur ending up in Miami, where he'd be reunited with manager Fredi Gonzalez, who is the man responsible for giving him the nickname "Frenchy".

 

If the Braves were going to deal Francoeur to the Marlins, my guess is that it would be in exchange for Jeremy Hermida, another former Atlanta high school product who has struggled to live up to the expectations he produced during his days as a top prospect.

 

But Hermida has at least provided some recent signs of encouragement with a .276 batting average and .794 OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage). In his past 28 games dating back to May 15, he has hit .322 with five homers and an .863 OPS.

 

http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/06/mental_blunders_tarnishing_esc.html

For those you worried about Hermida's future, the Braves MLB reporter suggests the better trade would be JH for Francoeur. Why? Because Fredi gave him the nickname "Frenchy". Good baseball logic there. :brigginbounce

 

"...Frenchy rumors: While the Marlins may not have been willing to trade Cody Ross for Jeff Francoeur, I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of Francoeur ending up in Miami, where he'd be reunited with manager Fredi Gonzalez, who is the man responsible for giving him the nickname "Frenchy".

 

If the Braves were going to deal Francoeur to the Marlins, my guess is that it would be in exchange for Jeremy Hermida, another former Atlanta high school product who has struggled to live up to the expectations he produced during his days as a top prospect.

 

But Hermida has at least provided some recent signs of encouragement with a .276 batting average and .794 OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage). In his past 28 games dating back to May 15, he has hit .322 with five homers and an .863 OPS.

 

http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/06/mental_blunders_tarnishing_esc.html

 

 

:(

I would be disgusted at the team if we traded Hermida for "Frenchy". Thankfully, it's not going to happen.

 

 

Same but i'd just probably give away my season tickets as well and buy tickets in right field for 5 dollars and just trash talk Francour the whole game.

I still think he's had a mediocre (at best) career.

 

I don't think one or two good weeks erase the work done over 4+ years.

 

I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame.

 

 

I don't think anyone would argue his MLB career as a whole has been anything better than mediocre.

 

I don't think anyone would argue that he'll be a hall of famer.

 

I also don't see the problem with being mediocre, especially since if you look at the age bracket of his career he'd very likely be above average.

 

From age 21-24, Hermida ranks 75 out of 152 corner OFers in OPS with atleast 1000 PAs in that age bracket.

 

246 out of 752 including all positions.

 

So still only average based off of corner OFers in that age bracket, lots of good young corner OFers throughout the history of the game lol, but in the top 33 percentile based off all positions.

 

edit:

 

should also be noted that his 2007 season ranked 135th all time (out of 1034, 13th percentile) in OPS based of players 23 or younger (46th out of 239 for corner OFers only, 19 percentile), showing he certainly has very good potential.

  • Author

I posted this right after his walk-off. He has been the hottest hitter since, so w/e works :) .

 

Another thing to consider as I see the #1 thing to dog Herms about is him being the #11th drafted player of 2002.

The MLB Draft is not a science like the NFL or NBA Draft. Many 1st and 2nd round players from MLB Drafts will never make the big leagues. I'm sure many GMs would consider a 1st RD draft pick to be a moderate success if they become a 10+ year MLB player. If they become an above average MLB player that is surely considered a success. We have definitely had success drafting SP but, haven't with hitting. The only superstar hitter we have ever drafted in 17 years is A. Gonzalez and he is a semi-superstar to be accurate.

 

As we are witnessing this season with his plate discipline he is becoming a pretty good hitter. I envision his peak years being something in between a Kotsay/J.D. Drew. So, a borderline all-star and there is nothing wrong with that.

Bah, for as much as I am critical of Hermida I just don't believe enough in the longterm viability of Francouer to even think about that trade. And its also interesting that the team would value Ross over Hermida, just because the latter has always been the more highly recognized one.

 

I just don't see what this trade would really give us besides a project player who would quickly become too expensive for us if he did actually work out. I've just always imagined that if Hermida was traded it would be for somebody who was either being productive currently or had less service time and comparable if unrealized upside, neither of which Francouer really fits.

Bah, for as much as I am critical of Hermida I just don't believe enough in the longterm viability of Francouer to even think about that trade. And its also interesting that the team would value Ross over Hermida, just because the latter has always been the more highly recognized one.

 

 

I'm not saying they don't because I don't know, and I really doubt they do, but at no point was there an indication that the Marlins value Ross over Hermida. That was speculation on an idiot sportswriter (and a Braves sportswriter on that, further expounding it away from the Marlins front office).

I love Cody as a player, he is almost the Anti-Hermida in a way. Cody came to town quietly in a last minute roster movement that left S Fl with one word in it's mouth...Who?. I liked Cody even then...The scouting report was good glove, great arm and very good power. What a steal by Beinfest! Cody has just been amazing. He plays a GG calibre CF, we haven't had CF play like this since Devon White. (Why the hell did Fredi not play him there before?) Cody will always be solid with the Lumber...He may not win batting or homerun titles but he will give you 25 HRs and 85 RBIs per year I would venture to say at least 20-25 other teams would love to have Cody on their roster

Now Hermida is different story... Hermida is the bonus baby! He has all the tools, as well as one of the prettiest swings you can ever see in all of baseball. He is like a beautiful woman who flirts with you and will even go out with you but at the end of the night you always end up with a cold shower Last week he had a great stetch of games but between Sunday and Tuesday he has gone 0 for seven so he pulled it back again just as he was breaking out. Hermida always shows you just enough to leave you wanting more, but we all are getting tired of those cold showers

I would be disgusted at the team if we traded Hermida for "Frenchy". Thankfully, it's not going to happen.

 

 

Same but i'd just probably give away my season tickets as well and buy tickets in right field for 5 dollars and just trash talk Francour the whole game.

 

Let me know where you buy them for that amount and I'll get rid of my season tickets and buy 81 pairs of them instead.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.