June 13, 200917 yr he's doing great. Woo Hoo, its great to see his batting average in the .270's with a .374 OBP, but lets see if he can sustain this kind of success. Hermida has never shown that kind of consistancy yet, to go all crazy over a few games is dumb, just like ya'll going crazy over him after that nationals series, I wouldn't doubt that he goes on another long cold streak this season. I see his average being around .255 to end the season, maybe a .340 OBP with a .740-.750 OPS, still not the greatest of production for a corner OFer. ...2007? you actually need to contribute in both the FIRST and second half of the season to be considered consistant. uh You realize he had only one bad month yes? May: .794 June: .627 July: .976 August: 1.033 September: .897 I can't believe people act like you can put up a .870 OPS without being consistent. Time to nail Cantu to the cross for having two bad months last year and a bad month this year. but, but... Cantu wasn't a first round pick... he's allowed to have bad months
June 13, 200917 yr he's doing great. Woo Hoo, its great to see his batting average in the .270's with a .374 OBP, but lets see if he can sustain this kind of success. Hermida has never shown that kind of consistancy yet, to go all crazy over a few games is dumb, just like ya'll going crazy over him after that nationals series, I wouldn't doubt that he goes on another long cold streak this season. I see his average being around .255 to end the season, maybe a .340 OBP with a .740-.750 OPS, still not the greatest of production for a corner OFer. ...2007? you actually need to contribute in both the FIRST and second half of the season to be considered consistant. uh You realize he had only one bad month yes? May: .794 June: .627 July: .976 August: 1.033 September: .897 I can't believe people act like you can put up a .870 OPS without being consistent. Time to nail Cantu to the cross for having two bad months last year and a bad month this year. His .794 May wasn't that spectacular and that was when Hermida was suffering from some minor injury proneness and missed all of April. I'd say that still qualifies as a bad first half altogether. I couldn't be more pleased to see him doing well but let's see if he can keep it up. I do really like the fact that he is going up there swinging instead of just looking for a walk.
June 13, 200917 yr His .794 May wasn't that spectacular and that was when Hermida was suffering from some minor injury proneness and missed all of April. I'd say that still qualifies as a bad first half altogether. I couldn't be more pleased to see him doing well but let's see if he can keep it up. I do really like the fact that he is going up there swinging instead of just looking for a walk. .794 is very far from bad though. And for the bolded statement, that is correct, but to completely write off everything Hermida did in the first half like Dim did is retarded. It's like Robinson Cano last year. He had a HORRIBLE first month (.446 OPS) and would finish the season with a .715 OPS. But he hit .297/.325/.448/.773 after the first month. It's correct in saying he has a bad season, it was also dumb for all the "Yankees need a new second baseman" thing this offseason because of one horrible month.
June 13, 200917 yr His .794 May wasn't that spectacular and that was when Hermida was suffering from some minor injury proneness and missed all of April. I'd say that still qualifies as a bad first half altogether. I couldn't be more pleased to see him doing well but let's see if he can keep it up. I do really like the fact that he is going up there swinging instead of just looking for a walk. .794 is very far from bad though. And for the bolded statement, that is correct, but to completely write off everything Hermida did in the first half like Dim did is retarded. who the f*ck said I wrote off everything he did in the first half? I said he wasn't consistant. You think a .333 OBP in May, .286 OBP in June, .426 in July, .421 in August, .371 in September, is consistant? You think having OPS's throughout the season that fluxuated as much as Hermida's did in 07, hell throughout his entire career is consistant? I want consistancy, and to say what Hermida did in 2007 showed consistancy is "retarded" As for your statement about Cano, Cano is actually consistant throughout his career. In 2006 he had a .841 OPS, although in 2008 his stats did drop significantly his batting average stayed the same, showing that he is still hitting the ball well enough to be in the lineup, and he came through so far this season with a .806 OPS. Hermida hasn't shown any sort of consistancy in any of his stats.
June 13, 200917 yr who the f*ck said I wrote off everything he did in the first half? I said he wasn't consistant. You think a .333 OBP in May, .286 OBP in June, .426 in July, .421 in August, .371 in September, is consistant? You think having OPS's throughout the season that fluxuated as much as Hermida's did in 07, hell throughout his entire career is consistant? I want consistancy, and to say what Hermida did in 2007 showed consistancy is "retarded" 1) you said and I quote "you actually need to contribute in both the FIRST and second half of the season to be considered consistant." You said he contributed nothing to the first half when he had one good, one great, one bad, and one missed month. You completely wrote off his first half. Now you're going back on what you said? 2) A lot of players OPS fluctuate month by month. The question is how good they were. Hermida was good to great to amazing in 4/6 months. He was bad 1/6 months. He missed 1/6 months. So he was at worst good 4 out of 6 months. And in response to both 1 and 2 to use an example, let's use Cantu again, a person most people laud as our one consistent hitter. .853 .700 .834 .947 .637 .922 That's his month by month break down last year. The SMALLEST difference in OPS month to month was 113. He had one bad month, one horrible month, two very good months, and two great months. Also, this isn't meant to be mean, but it's consistEnt
June 13, 200917 yr As for your statement about Cano, Cano is actually consistant throughout his career. In 2006 he had a .841 OPS, although in 2008 his stats did drop significantly his batting average stayed the same, showing that he is still hitting the ball well enough to be in the lineup, and he came through so far this season with a .806 OPS. Hermida hasn't shown any sort of consistancy in any of his stats. You completely missed what I meant about Cano.
June 13, 200917 yr lol the funny thing is with as bad as Hermida has been he's still light years better then Emilio Bonifraudio! Id rather have Hermida anyday over that other bum at 3b...
June 14, 200917 yr Hermida is running an 800 OPS as a LH in one of the worst places to be a LH, and only Hanley gets on base better. I am constantly left wondering if some folks even watch the games.
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida.
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida. Not to mention 36th in OPS plus in the ENTIRE NATIONAL LEAGUE.
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida. Bust
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida. Bust THIS! He'll never hit above .260 or OPS in the top 20 or even top 30 out of all the corner outfielders, and his trade value is too low so we have to send Cantu and Uggla if we even want to get a 3rd round pick for him
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida. Not to mention 36th in OPS plus in the ENTIRE NATIONAL LEAGUE. Wow, 36th place???? That is impressive.
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida. Not to mention 36th in OPS plus in the ENTIRE NATIONAL LEAGUE. Wow, 36th place???? That is impressive. Lolz.
June 15, 200917 yr Who is that guy hitting .276/.373/.421? Who is that guy who's 10th out of 24 NL corner outfielders in OPS? Oh, that's just Jeremy Hermida. Bust THIS! He'll never hit above .260 or OPS in the top 20 or even top 30 out of all the corner outfielders, and his trade value is too low so we have to send Cantu and Uggla if we even want to get a 3rd round pick for him You cannot trade draft picks in MLB.
June 15, 200917 yr Wow, 36th place???? That is impressive. Out of about 240, it is. If you aint first, you're last.
June 15, 200917 yr Wow, 36th place???? That is impressive. Out of about 240, it is. If you aint first, you're last. Hermida = Rodney Dangerfield?
June 15, 200917 yr His OPS+ is 36th out of 92, not out of 240. His OPS+ is exactly the same as the average for corner OFers. I still think he's had a mediocre (at best) career. I don't think one or two good weeks erase the work done over 4+ years. I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame. I'm not willing to ignore stats when I evaluate his accomplishments.
June 15, 200917 yr His OPS+ is 36th out of 92, not out of 240. His OPS+ is exactly the same as the average for corner OFers. I still think he's had a mediocre (at best) career. I don't think one or two good weeks erase the work done over 4+ years. I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame. I'm not willing to ignore stats when I evaluate his accomplishments. Even if he's an "average" corner outfielder [even though he's still young], that's certainly not bad at all. Those who actually do evaluate the stats (including you) sometimes end up forced to look like we adore Hermida simply because he gets so much undue hate which we try to counter. That said, I think his rank is more important than his OPS+ relative to the average for corner OFs. I know Rab said he is 10/24 in OPS for corner OFs. I would guess that his OPS+ may even be a little higher, since he plays @ Landshark half the time. But there are guys like Ibanez who just blow up the averages, who are OPS'ing 200+ points above average, yet there are really no corner OFs who OPS 200 points below average.
June 15, 200917 yr There are 96 players in the NL? It's likely out of qualified players. Otherwise he'd very likely be lower than 36 do people who are, like, 4/10. There's 16 teams in the NL, 8 starters per team, that'd be 128 starting players. 96 qualified players sounds right.
June 15, 200917 yr I still think he's had a mediocre (at best) career. I don't think one or two good weeks erase the work done over 4+ years. I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame. I don't think anyone would argue his MLB career as a whole has been anything better than mediocre. I don't think anyone would argue that he'll be a hall of famer. I also don't see the problem with being mediocre, especially since if you look at the age bracket of his career he'd very likely be above average.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.