November 13, 200322 yr from Herald article... JUGGLING ACT BEGINS Lowell made $3.7 million last season, and the two-time All-Star who led the team in homers (32) and RBI (105) could be a free agent in 2004. Castillo, also a two-time All-Star and the team's top hitter at .314, made $4.85 million. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Marlins' offer to Castillo was for $15.5 million over three years -- less than the $6 million per season he is expected to receive on the open market. But it could be close enough to keep him. 'But if his value goes to $7 million, I don't think he'll go for [the Marlins' offer],'' the source said. The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Cubs and Cardinals are believed to be among the teams interested in Castillo. And if the Marlins lose him, former All-Star Roberto Alomar might be interested in taking his place, said Alomar's agent, Jaime Torres. Alomar, who made $7.6 million last season, would have to take a huge pay cut, but Torres said Alomar, 321 hits shy of 3,000, would like to reach the milestone as close to his native Puerto Rico as possible. Beinfest said he is trying to sign Lowell, Castillo and Rodriguez. Also high on his to-do list is re-signing Derrek Lee, who made $4.25 million last season when he hit .271 and set career highs for homers (31) and RBI (92) while winning a gold glove. It's interesting that they're also trying to keep DLee. I like the idea actually, if they think they can afford it. If that rumor is true & their offer was 15 million for 3 years for Castillo...... 5 million a year is below what he wants, but he definately wanted a multi-year deal so we'll see what happens.
November 13, 200322 yr Good offer to Castillo. If he rejects, no worry. Maybe Beinfest pulls off a much lower priced "Pudge" and gets Alomar.
November 13, 200322 yr I like the fact that atleast the Marlins are attempting to make offers to these guys. They know they won't be able to resign all of them, but atleast they are trying thier very best to keep them all together. I'm not too keen on the idea of Alomar though
November 13, 200322 yr After Castillo, I would say Alomar is the 2nd best 2B on the market. Solid Defense and strong fundamentals all around player. His attitude worry me a bit. But he will get the job done.
November 13, 200322 yr I heard on 910 wiod that lowell was offered a 1 year contract and a 3yr option that kicks in if we get a stadium deal done.
November 13, 200322 yr I heard on 910 wiod that lowell was offered a 1 year contract and a 3yr option that kicks in if we get a stadium deal done. Interesting...if everyone + LEE are pursued then Loria is dead serious about not dismantling this team. I like the idea of entertaining offers for him though because a GG 1B is a luxury for a low payroll team
November 13, 200322 yr I am glad they are trying to re-sign Lee too, at least attempt it anyway. I just dont know what this means for Conine. I think we could have a better (cheaper) alternative by re-signing Encarnacion and moving Conine to 1B. If Enc wants too much, move him and sign Guillen. The Marlins have a lot of flexibility. As for Alomar, he would be interesting. If he signs for a huge discount, he certainly could come to this team and be another 'Pudge'. But I would rather us go after someone younger, like Reese or even Young. Or at least try out one of our boys, Hooper or Medrano. I think Castillo would be nice, but I am a little worried about the price and his hip. The FO does not seem to share the same fears though, and they are a little closer to the situation than I am - to say the least.
November 13, 200322 yr No, no, no to Alomar. :nono He's a great player, taken individually, but his attitude would suck the life from this team, which so far has been content to continue the spelling without an "I."
November 13, 200322 yr Author he's not a great player anymore. i don't even know if he's a good player at this point for the amount he'll get paid. he's going to be 36 by the time next season starts.. no thanks.
November 13, 200322 yr well, beinfest hasn't exactly altered the expected gameplan by giving offers to castillo and lee. if either of them were to sign for less than they are worth, it's obviously in our best interests to lock them up. if he really IS serious about giving lee a respectable offer, then it says something about pudge's future here. if we manage to lock up lowell and either castillo or dlee long-term, it's pretty much a given that we're not going to sign pudge. not that i mind that at all...
November 13, 200322 yr :thumbdown Alomar Well I think what Alomar needs is motivation, he usualy does bad on losing teams. He is on the declining phase of his career, bu he does have the talent. For the right price, he would not be bad to have.
November 13, 200322 yr :thumbup to Alomar he's got something to prove and being close to home can only help this is of course if he has less than $5mil a year and we dont get Luis...
November 13, 200322 yr :thumbup to Alomar he's got something to prove and being close to home can only help this is of course if he has less than $5mil a year and we dont get Luis... I agree with Ramp. At this point of his career, I don't think Alomar just want to play for the money and collect a big fat pay check. He does have something to prove, and I think he would fit nicely with the marlins.
November 13, 200322 yr Alomar wants to get those hits. He still has the skills, but I say no unless he says yes to $3MM payday. I am confused over the Lee situation. Totally confused, but something is going on here. I dont think this means if we re-sign Lowell, Castillo, Lee that Pudge wont be re-signed. I think that the money is being allocated to do all these things. Or maybe to get something brewing here. I dont know...
November 13, 200322 yr Alomar wants to get those hits. He still has the skills, but I say no unless he says yes to $3MM payday. I am confused over the Lee situation. Totally confused, but something is going on here. I dont think this means if we re-sign Lowell, Castillo, Lee that Pudge wont be re-signed. I think that the money is being allocated to do all these things. Or maybe to get something brewing here. I dont know... add up their pricetags. i'll be shocked if beinfest has much more than 60mil to spend. the numbers just wouldn't crunch to keep all of them. that's why everyone constantly throws around that theoretical $80mil figure for how much it would cost to keep the whole team together. if we signed lowell, lee, castillo, and pudge, we'd be keeping our four most expensive players (though i'm not sure where uggy would fall into that mix.). 7.5 + 8 + 6.5 + 9 = $31 mil on just those four. if you add $3mil deferred + $8mil hampton, you're at $42 mil that leaves $18mil for the entire rest of the team. we'll keep two of our stars for next season. maybe three, if one of them isn't pudge (bling bling), but i'm not too sure about that.
November 13, 200322 yr We could get Alomar for 2-years $3 Mill per (maybe less). According to his mother, he NEEDS to be as close to home as possible. I read somewhere that she believes his bad play was for not visiting her for the enitre time he was in NY (during the reg. season). He's a very supersticous guy, so I would have to think he believes that as well. The more he can see his mother, the better he plays. lol. I would vote in favor of Alomar if we fail to get Castillo. It would also be a great PR move, espesially if we lose Pudge.
November 13, 200322 yr I agree with Ramp and FreshFish About Alomar. Alomar might want to come down here to be closer to home and its not as big a market as such in NY and sometimes Chicago. Alomar might want to also prove he deserves to be a in the HOF and can still play.
November 13, 200322 yr I wouldn't mind seeing Alomar....although one of the reasons I heard that Alomar didn't work out with the Mets is he never adjusted to NL pitching, or the National League. Something to keep in mind, I guess.
November 13, 200322 yr I wouldn't mind seeing Alomar....although one of the reasons I heard that Alomar didn't work out with the Mets is he never adjusted to NL pitching, or the National League. Something to keep in mind, I guess. In 2003 he hit better in the NL opposed to the AL.
November 13, 200322 yr I wouldn't mind seeing Alomar....although one of the reasons I heard that Alomar didn't work out with the Mets is he never adjusted to NL pitching, or the National League. Something to keep in mind, I guess. In 2003 he hit better in the NL opposed to the AL. True.
November 13, 200322 yr I wouldn't mind seeing Alomar....although one of the reasons I heard that Alomar didn't work out with the Mets is he never adjusted to NL pitching, or the National League. Something to keep in mind, I guess. I read that he played bad because the Mets sucked
November 13, 200322 yr I wouldn't mind seeing Alomar....although one of the reasons I heard that Alomar didn't work out with the Mets is he never adjusted to NL pitching, or the National League. Something to keep in mind, I guess. I read that he played bad because the Mets sucked That's not a great reason to play bad.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.