Damon to Atlanta (rumour) and the Marlins .........

Prince of Saxe-Meiningen

......still sit on the sidelines. :banghead

I get it, we don't have a lot of money, but c'mon everyone in the division has upgraded, especially the Nats. Isn't anyone else getting antsy about how they, the Braves, and the Phillies have all improved (at least on paper), yet the Marlins just act dead ?

We all like to think we have at least as good a team as we did last year, but if the Nats improve 10 games or 15 games, and the Braves do the same, how many of those come at the expense of the Marlins ? We like to think we'll win at least 88 this year, but if the other teams in the division have improved, and we are basically the same team, common sense tells you we can't win the same amount of games, unless they come from out-of-division games. Where are those games to be made up come from ? Who is likely to not be better out of our division ? I think the Reds are improved, and so are the Pirates. Could the Cubs be back to their usual cellar dwelling selves ? SF seems to be improved too. The Mets might be good but they could also be just dreadful, that seems to be their history.

Anyone with thoughts on this ?

The added wins, if they come, would be the result of people like West, Volstad, Miller, and Vanden Hurk getting their acts together and giving the Marlins legitimate starts.

Ricky Nolasco also needs to be consistent.

If the rotation improves, the Marlins should be capable of winning a decent amount of games.

I had this concern too. It all depends on our starting pitching and Morrison, whenever he gets called up. If he can produce something just a bit short of Coghlan's performance (obviously in different fields of play,) then we should win more than we did last year.

Also, forgot to add that hopefully Maybin lives up to the potential everyone attributes to him. We'll be fine unless everything goes awry.

I agree with both of you. I also think the Marlins are hoping that having Coghlan all year will help. I also think they are banking on Maybin being as good as he was at the end of the season all year long in 2010 (that is a bit of a reach). Penguino is right though it will all come down to the starting pitching for the Marlins.

I do agree also though that every team in the division has made themselves at least a little bit better. For the Phillies I like the tradeoff of Halladay and Polanco over Lee and Feliz. I think they did a good job of improving both the bench and the bullpen for 2010. Adding Schneider, Castro and Gload will help the bench crew while adding Danys Baez, Jose Contreras and Oscar Villarreal should help the pen. I think the Braves have improved a tad but if they add Damon that would really help them. Troy Glaus, Melky Cabrera and Eric Hinske should help out the offense a little bit. Billy Wagner, Takashi Saito, Jesse Chavez and Mike Dunn. The Braves have the best starting rotation in the division and that should keep them in the race. Jason Bay, Gary Matthews, Frank Catalanotto and Mike Jacobs should help out the Mets in 2010. The biggest things for the Mets though are keeping Jose Reyes and Johan Santana healthy all year long. I did like them rolling the dice on Kelvim Escobar and Ryota Igarashi for the pen. The Nationals are probably the most improved team in the division. They had two black holes in the lineup last season (2B, C) and they filled them with Adam Kennedy and Ivan Rodriguez which should make them better in 2010. They overpaid for Jason Marquis but he should help them in 2010. I also like that they rebuilt the bullpen with Matt Capps, Brian Bruney, Ryan Speier, Joel Peralta, Eddie Guardado and Tyler Walker. Keep an eye on Chuck James and Shawn Estes to as they could both land in the rotation for the Nationals if healthy and they won't cost them much.

While I still fancy us to win the season series against the Nats, I doubt we totally dominate them as we have the past couple of years so it is of vital importance that we pick up some wins from elsewhere, possibly from some on the NL West teams, as while we tend to struggle against some of them, as a group they haven't upgraded too much this offseason either so maybe that gives us an opportunity to fare better against them.

I can comprehend that they can get better. A lot depends on Sanchez/Morrison, Maybin, Coghlan (a full season repeat of 2009), Volstad, A.Sanchez, West, Miller, VandenHurk. Also the Marlins need Nunez, Sanches and Meyer to be able to protect leads in 2010. The problem I have with the Marlins not spending any money is that they could have improved in two areas without spending a ton of cash. The bullpen and the bench are two areas they could have improved on cheaply and maybe they still will with a lot of nervous free agents still out there.

The added wins, if they come, would be the result of people like West, Volstad, Miller, and Vanden Hurk getting their acts together and giving the Marlins legitimate starts.

Ricky Nolasco also needs to be consistent.

If the rotation improves, the Marlins should be capable of winning a decent amount of games.

Yeah, I think this would be a bigger factor than adding someone like Damon.

I would have been far more concerned about the offense if Uggla was traded for prospects, but thankfully he's staying for now.

Why can't people comprehend the fact that you don't need to make big trades and sign high-priced free agents to be better?

I don't think you comprehend my question...as some others didn't.

In a nutshell.....I believe that the Nats and Braves improved about 10-15 games each with their improvements. The Marlins basically are the same team they were last year. That means the Marlins will more than likely lose 3 or 4 more games to both the Nats and Braves (that means 6 to 8 less than we won last year). If the Marlins are just to maintain the same amount of wins they have to make them up from out-of-division games....

So my question is, where do you think those games will be made up from ?

Why can't people comprehend the fact that you don't need to make big trades and sign high-priced free agents to be better?

A better question, do you think Brett Carroll is better than Johnny Damon?

Yeah, as a matter of fact I can't see why Carroll isn't put on the same level as Ryan Braun. I mean, when you compliment a guy for his play that obviously means I think he is one of the greatest players alive.

Yes. Brett can play D.

You really need to stay away from the crack pipe. Damon has a good chance to be in Cooperstown in about 10 years. The only way Brett Carroll is getting in is if he buys a ticket like you and I.

I don't think you comprehend my question...as some others didn't.

In a nutshell.....I believe that the Nats and Braves improved about 10-15 games each with their improvements. The Marlins basically are the same team they were last year. That means the Marlins will more than likely lose 3 or 4 more games to both the Nats and Braves (that means 6 to 8 less than we won last year). If the Marlins are just to maintain the same amount of wins they have to make them up from out-of-division games....

So my question is, where do you think those games will be made up from ?

Have you been paying attention to the Braves at all this off-season? They lost Javier Vazquez, Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez and Kelly Johnson. The only notable players they have added have been Melky Cabrera and Troy Glaus. You're telling me that they have improved by 10-15 wins by doing that? If anything their win total is going to be less than what it was in 2009. And as for the Nats, I'm assuming you think the additions of Adam Kennedy, Pudge, Matt Capps, Jason Marquis and Chris Duncan will dramatically improve them. Even if the Nats were to somehow improve by ten games they still wouldn't be anywhere near the Marlins in the standings anyway.

Look at the Marlins by position (going by who played there the most in 2009).

C: 2009- Baker, 2010- Baker. Baker will probably be about the same.

1B: 2009- Cantu, 2010- Morrison/Sanchez (likely). Both have the ability to match Cantu's production.

2B: 2009- Uggla, 2010- Uggla. He was a little unfortunate last year and should raise that OPS a little bit.

3B: 2009- Bonifacio, 2010- Cantu. Upgrade.

SS: 2009- Hanley, 2010- Hanley. Hanley was somewhat lucky last year, but he is going from 25 to 26, so you could probably expect some improvement. Call it even.

LF: 2009- Coghlan, 2010- Coghlan. Coghlan should play defense much better after an entire off-season to work on it.

CF: 2009- Ross, 2010- Maybin. Hard one to predict since you don't know what you are going to get out of Maybin.

RF: 2009- Hermida, 2010- Ross. Upgrade.

The only position where we could possibly lose substantial production is CF, with a small chance of decreased production from 1B. I'd say that looks like it is going to be about a high 80's/90 win team this year.

Yeah, as a matter of fact I can't see why Carroll isn't put on the same level as Ryan Braun. I mean, when you compliment a guy for his play that obviously means I think he is one of the greatest players alive.

I was actually being serious since Damon is considered a well below average corner outfielders, and you are easily in the top 1% of Brett Carroll fans. What's the breakdown? I bet it's not that large even with Damon's +/- 150 OPS if we're viewing Carroll as a +30 defender.

Yes. Brett can play D.

You really need to stay away from the crack pipe. Damon has a good chance to be in Cooperstown in about 10 years. The only way Brett Carroll is getting in is if he buys a ticket like you and I.

He may already be in there for one reason or another. A picture of him with other team mates, etc... But his chances of being enshrined are pretty slim.

Damon is 575 hits away from his automatic punch ticket into the Hall of Fame (3,000 hits). 10 times he has scored over 100 runs in a season. Until Brett Carroll can earn 500 at bats in a season (doubtful that will ever happen) then you can't compare him to any full time player let alone Johnny Damon.

Damon is three career average full seasons away from 3,000 hits and he's 36. He's not going to get to 3,000.

I think he can do it.

He hasn't really been plagued with injury problems yet in his career so he's proven that he's a bit of a horse. If he plays until he's forty (and right now I see no reason why he can't), he just needs to put up numbers comparable to 2009 consistently and he will easily reach it. Even if he tails off, he should have about a season to spare.

If he had a career team like Houston and Biggio that'll let the team be worse so that he can reach a plateau, I'd say he'd probably hit it.

But he struggled to find a team this past off season coming off a .854 OPS. What happens when he leaves Yankee Stadium and regress from age and starts putting up a more-expected upper .700 OPS?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.