Marlins sign Jason Lane to MiLB deal

Rabbethan

I mentioned this in the other thread but Morgan Ensberg would be a decent minor league signing. He actually had some awesome MLB seasons (including one .954 OPS) before he fell off of the cliff (maybe steroids related).

Probably the only thing stopping the Marlins is that he is "retired" and didn't play anywhere in 2009 and his conditioning probably went to hell.

I mentioned this in the other thread but Morgan Ensberg would be a decent minor league signing. He actually had some awesome MLB seasons (including one .954 OPS) before he fell off of the cliff (maybe steroids related).

Probably the only thing stopping the Marlins is that he is "retired" and didn't play anywhere in 2009 and his conditioning probably went to hell.

NOLA also pretty much has a full IF: Lamb, Luna, Barden, Murphy, Richar, 1-2 of Gaby/Logan. That's 6-7 players right there.

Ensberg pretty much had the potential to fulfill the role that Lamb will, but had a much better ML career. I guess Lamb gets the call over Ensberg because he played baseball (if you can even call it that based upon his 2009 numbers) last season.

You are right though. And it isn't a big deal anyway. I guess there is nothing else to talk about until spring training starts.

I guess there is nothing else to talk about until spring training starts.

Because you're right:

I don't think we have a full OF yet for NOLA. I think we got Jai in CF, Cousins in right, Pete in Left. Then Lane as a back up #1, still need back up #2. The only other player currently in our system I could see them calling up to NOLA is Brandon Tripp. There's also the chance we get Raynor returned to us. But I assume we make at least one more MILB position player signing

The Marlins have signed Jason Lane to a minor league contract, according to MLB.com.

Lane spent last year at Toronto's Triple-A affiliate and hit just .253, needless to say his chances of making Florida's roster appear slim.

http://www.fanball.com/

Lamb and now Lane, both former Astros. Next up, Adam Everett. Then they can just give us the trophy now.

I didn't realize that Lane had fallen so far and had only been effective for really one year. Lamb, Lane, and the other guys we've brought in don't necessarily add up to a championship, but they do provide depth. And the lack of that has actually been the largest factor in why the Marlins haven't been able to make the playoffs more than our starting players, who can add up with most every team out there.

The Marlins have been completely unable to use the 15-day DL for minor injuries in the past because they simply didn't have any other major league or even fringe caliber players ready to come up and contribute in small pieces for a short stretch. That's why Dan Uggla would sprain his ankle and we'd be strung along for 14 days of it wondering when he would be back in the lineup, meanwhile losing out on a roster spot which limited our in-game flexibility. Guys like Lane and Lamb can come up and at least provide the hope of getting major league at-bats during those stretches when we might need somebody.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.