March 18, 201016 yr Author Clark Spencer reads the forum? hahaha : http://www.miamihera...o-rotation.html Up to now, Clay Hensley is perhaps best known for giving up the home run to Barry Bonds -- No. 755 -- that tied him with Hank Aaron atop the all-time list. Or, from a more complimentary standpoint, it was posting double-digit wins with the San Diego Padres in 2006. And whenever the discussion early in spring training turned to the Marlins and their starting rotation, the word coming down from the top was that eight candidates were vying for five spots -- and Hensley's name never was mentioned. Not anymore. The 30-year-old right-hander has emerged as a serious threat to sneak into the rotation. On Wednesday, Hensley blanked the Braves for 4 1/3 innings, allowing just two quiet singles. Hensley has now gone 10 1/3 innings without allowing a run. Even more impressive: Hensley has retired 31 of 37 batters, and one of those that managed to reach did so because of a fielding error. No wonder manager Fredi Gonzalez was singing his praises after Wednesday's performance. ``There's always a dark horse,'' Gonzalez said. ``There's always somebody you don't see. Usually it's a reliever. This guy has put himself in a position to become one of those starters.'' Or, perhaps, a long man in the bullpen. Hensley hasn't done much since going 11-12 with the Padres in '06. About a month after giving up the historic home run to Bonds in 2007, he had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. Last year, when things didn't turn out for him with the Houston Astros, he ended up at Triple A New Orleans in the Marlins' farm system. There, he went 8-4. He said part of his decision to re-sign with the Marlins stemmed from his belief that he would be in the mix to win a rotation spot. At least that's what he said he was told by the Marlins' front office. But that wasn't the message that was being spread publicly. The word all along from Gonzalez and Admin Beinfest, the team's president of baseball operations, has been that there were eight candidates battling for five spots, and that Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolsaco were guaranteed two of them. That left Chris Volstad, Anibal Sanchez, Andrew Miller, Rick VandenHurk, Sean West and Hayden Penn in a six-man scramble for the other three slots. But West was sent to minor-league camp. Volstad and Miller have struggled. Sanchez has emerged as a leading contender to nail down one of the spots. VandenHurk and Penn, for the most part, have pitched successfully. None of them has pitched as well as Hensley, and one of the biggest reasons why is because he has thrown the ball over the plate -- which was his goal. Hensley has yet to walk a batter this spring. ``Coming into camp, I knew I was going to have to throw strikes in order to do anything and make the team,'' he said. ``If you go out there, you're not throwing strikes and walking guys, you're not giving yourself a chance.' '
March 18, 201016 yr I ADMIT, HE HAS BEEN GREAT THIS SPRING. ST. CLAIRE HAS DONE ONE HECK OF A JOB. Do you realize that your posts are entirely in caps? lol
March 18, 201016 yr One thing about all the media praise (every newspaper as well as MLB and AP have stories extolling his work so far this season after today's 4.1 scoreless innings) fueled by St. Claire and then Fredi's comments when viewed as a tactical tool, it ramps up the pressure on Hensley to continue to perform. While some here and elsewhere have followed him for a while and some since last summer, for the most part he's been invisible like a stealth jet on Iraqi radar. No more. From now through the end of March every pitch he throws will come under media and really MLB scrutiny. It's one thing to pitch in the shadows, it's another to perform in the light of day and every guy on the other team is gunning for you. Personally, I hope he succeeds, he forces all the other guys competing for those last one or two spots to step up or fall back and out of contention. If he wins a job he's done it because he proved he earned it and no one can say otherwise. Considering the "names" repeatedly mentioned as a potential starter was there one more remote or seldom heard than Clay Hensley? There are two things that impress me so far about the guy and watching him today reinforced them. He's a groundball pitcher who throws strikes and so far besides not giving up a run, more importantly when it comes to this pitching staff, he hasn't walked a single batter all spring. Be interesting to see if he gets a real start in his next appearance. That would be really telling and will send a message to those still in the hunt. You produce, good things happen. You don't, welcome to Zephyr Field.
March 18, 201016 yr I was reading something on Sun Sentinel earlier today that I thought epitomizes how chancy a player's opportunities can be. Here's an excerpt from the article. A link to the whole article appears below: "They [the Houston Astros] said they were going to have me compete for their starting rotation and I think I got seven innings in spring [2009]," Hensley said. "I got sent to Triple-A and they had me coming out of the pen and I wasn't throwing bullpens or getting any work in. It seemed like we got put on the backburner there immediately. I don't want to say it was a waste of time, but I got nothing out of it." That wasn't the case when he joined the Zephyrs. Pitching coach Scott Mitchell reviewed pre-surgery video of Hensley and noticed his shoulders no longer were level when he released his pitches. As a result, Hensley was flying open trying to get over the top of his high front shoulder and his pitches flattened out. "Trying to get something ironed out through spring and all through April with Houston, Scott Mitchell got ironed out in one start," Hensley said. "It took one guy to really care." http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/fl-marlins-notebook-0318-20100317,0,3456023.story It's the nature of the game that talent goes unrealized all the time, with so many promising players always bursting on the scene. Were it not for Scott Mitchell, Hensley might be pitching in the Northern League or elsewhere for $500 a night, trying to piece together what happened to his career if he wasn't out of baseball completely. Don't get me wrong, it's still on him to prove he belongs at the MLB level, he hasn't made that case yet and ultimately may not, but this one anecdote illustrates how fickle the difference between success and failure really can be.
March 19, 201016 yr I'm fine with Hensley in the rotation to start the season. I'm fine with Pinto being nowhere near the Marlins bullpen ever.
March 20, 201016 yr "It's the nature of the game that talent goes unrealized all the time, with so many promising players always bursting on the scene. Were it not for Scott Mitchell, Hensley might be pitching in the Northern League or elsewhere for $500 a night, trying to piece together what happened to his career if he wasn't out of baseball completely. Don't get me wrong, it's still on him to prove he belongs at the MLB level, he hasn't made that case yet and ultimately may not, but this one anecdote illustrates how fickle the difference between success and failure really can be. " Funny how different we all can think. I'f figure someone who was playing baseball for $500 a night would be one of the luckiest people on Earth.
March 20, 201016 yr "It's the nature of the game that talent goes unrealized all the time, with so many promising players always bursting on the scene. Were it not for Scott Mitchell, Hensley might be pitching in the Northern League or elsewhere for $500 a night, trying to piece together what happened to his career if he wasn't out of baseball completely. Don't get me wrong, it's still on him to prove he belongs at the MLB level, he hasn't made that case yet and ultimately may not, but this one anecdote illustrates how fickle the difference between success and failure really can be. " Funny how different we all can think. I'f figure someone who was playing baseball for $500 a night would be one of the luckiest people on Earth. I agree, I would just about do anything if somebody offered to give me $500 a night to play the game I love.
March 22, 201016 yr Today's intrasquad or minor league game - different reporters, different descriptions - turned into an exercise in futility for both miller and hensley who threw a few dozen pitchers each off a sloppy mound to the handful of players who showed up until they moved under a covered mound to get the rest of their throwing in. hensley from reports showed the most and Fredi, who was in attendance is quoted as saying... "He's got command of all the plate. He's always around the plate and he's not afraid of contact. He's putting himself in that position where he could fill a role (rotation) easy." Hensley had nine groundball "outs" and two strikeouts among the eleven batters he faced. He may get a start in a "real" game Saturday against the Cards. read more http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2010/03/rainy-day-results-for-millerhensley-sim-games.html#ixzz0ivp8YNNx (this is a recap of various tweets, blogs and reports from the regular band of local reporters)
March 23, 201016 yr Ken Rosenthal is reporting Hensley can opt-out if he's not happy 4/1, thus you may be looking at the Marlins fifth man in the pitching rotation. # RHP Clay Hensley (0 runs, 0 walks in 10 1/3 IP) inside track to be #Marlins' No. 5 starter. Can request release if not on roster 4/1 #MLB 33 minutes ago via web (tweet)
March 24, 201016 yr from today's Miami Herald: ...Gonzalez said right-hander Clay Hensley will get his first spring start Saturday against St. Louis. Left-hander Andrew Miller will pitch Saturday in a Triple A game. This could lead to an all-righty Marlins starting rotation (which is fine with me if it's productive). I'd really like to see the guy make it as his junk might be a good contrast to the guys pitching the day before and after him. (Edit) which in itself is not a good enough reason to give him the job, he has to earn it of course. Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/24/1544413/nolasco-continues-his-spring-display.html#ixzz0j72ONqB4
March 25, 201016 yr hensley is the fifth starter, my butt. how about third or fourth? Who in the world would parade volstad or vandenhurk out there right now over hensley?
March 25, 201016 yr I like RVH as our fourth starter. I think the guy has real potential. I've said this for I believe 3 years now, Rick VandenHurk has shown that he has great stuff, the issue is he has a tendency to throw WAY too many pitches per inning, and is out of the game by the 3rd or 4th inning. I like VandenHurk, but for this season, I'd like to see him start the season as our second long relief guy right besides Badenhop. If an injury was to occur or one of Volstad/Sanchez/Hensley are ineffective, which I expect at least one of them to be, VandenHurk steps in and hopefully gives us a few quality starts. However, some people are hyping RVH more than they should for this upcoming season. He has great potential, some major league caliber pitches, but his inability to face get hitters out a second time around the lineup and an inability to keep his pitch count down makes him a perfect candidate at the moment for long relief duty.
March 25, 201016 yr I like RVH as our fourth starter. I think the guy has real potential. I've said this for I believe 3 years now, Rick VandenHurk has shown that he has great stuff, the issue is he has a tendency to throw WAY too many pitches per inning, and is out of the game by the 3rd or 4th inning. I like VandenHurk, but for this season, I'd like to see him start the season as our second long relief guy right besides Badenhop. If an injury was to occur or one of Volstad/Sanchez/Hensley are ineffective, which I expect at least one of them to be, VandenHurk steps in and hopefully gives us a few quality starts. However, some people are hyping RVH more than they should for this upcoming season. He has great potential, some major league caliber pitches, but his inability to face get hitters out a second time around the lineup and an inability to keep his pitch count down makes him a perfect candidate at the moment for long relief duty. The reason RVH is being touted by so many is because your guy (JJ) hyped the heck out of him this winter picking Vandenhurk to be the biggest surprise going into the 2010 season.
March 25, 201016 yr That's definitely true about RVH. He throws too many pitches. Also, he's either hot or cold. He'll either go 6 innings and give up 1 run or go 4 innings and give up 5. Nothing in between. I think part of that is because when he struggles he has a tough time finding the plate. He also has a tough time going through the order a second time. I attribute this to his inability to consistently control all his pitches for strikes. His fastball is nice and lively, but if his curve isn't around the plate he'll get hammered the second time through the order. The hitters are just sitting on his fastball. He needs to control his curve and have a decent third pitch he can throw for a strike, too. I don't even remember... what else does he throw?
March 25, 201016 yr I like RVH as our fourth starter. I think the guy has real potential. I've said this for I believe 3 years now, Rick VandenHurk has shown that he has great stuff, the issue is he has a tendency to throw WAY too many pitches per inning, and is out of the game by the 3rd or 4th inning. I like VandenHurk, but for this season, I'd like to see him start the season as our second long relief guy right besides Badenhop. If an injury was to occur or one of Volstad/Sanchez/Hensley are ineffective, which I expect at least one of them to be, VandenHurk steps in and hopefully gives us a few quality starts. However, some people are hyping RVH more than they should for this upcoming season. He has great potential, some major league caliber pitches, but his inability to face get hitters out a second time around the lineup and an inability to keep his pitch count down makes him a perfect candidate at the moment for long relief duty. The reason RVH is being touted by so many is because your guy (JJ) hyped the heck out of him this winter picking Vandenhurk to be the biggest surprise going into the 2010 season. I'm still and always have been a RVH fan. I'm just not easy about giving him a starting spot to begin the season give his past inconsistencies. I would like to see him establish himself in the long relief role first, then, if needed, he can come in and spot start. If he proves that he can go 6+ innings as a starter during those spot starts, then I would love to see RVH gain himself a 4th or 5th starter spot, but just handing him a spot to begin the season doesn't sound like a good plan to me. and Prin, I think RVH dropped his Holland Hammer (iirc).Didn't he say he was developing a slider?
March 25, 201016 yr What do you mean he dropped it? He no longer throws the curve? I thought he was developing a slider to complement his fastball and curve.
March 25, 201016 yr What do you mean he dropped it? He no longer throws the curve? I thought he was developing a slider to complement his fastball and curve. I think he still throws it just not nearly as often. He can command the slider much better from what Ive read.
March 25, 201016 yr What do you mean he dropped it? He no longer throws the curve? I thought he was developing a slider to complement his fastball and curve. He still has the curve, but he doesn't throw it as much.
March 25, 201016 yr At the WBC, Burt Blyleven taught RVH a slider and that's what RVH used the most in 2009. He didn't completely abandon his curve but he nearly did (last year, he threw his curve just 1.2% of the time in the majors. He used his fast ball 66.7%, slider 24.7%, and change up 84%). I believe he made comments this past offseason about wanting to still work on control of his curve so that it's still a pitch he could use often, and also that he was working on a sinker.
March 25, 201016 yr According to one of the Marlins reporters on Twitter (cant remember which), they reckon that RVH will not be in the rotation to start the season based on the fact they only let him go 1.2 innings in relief today and appear not to be stretching him out of late.
March 25, 201016 yr I took his short stint today as a sign he's not going to be in the rotation. In any case, they only need four starters. I am pretty sure the top four are JJ, Ricky, Anibal, and Volstad. I bet they carry Hensley as a fifth starter/long reliever. I would stick RVH in the bullpen.
March 27, 201016 yr I like RVH as our fourth starter. I think the guy has real potential. I've said this for I believe 3 years now, Rick VandenHurk has shown that he has great stuff, the issue is he has a tendency to throw WAY too many pitches per inning, and is out of the game by the 3rd or 4th inning. I like VandenHurk, but for this season, I'd like to see him start the season as our second long relief guy right besides Badenhop. If an injury was to occur or one of Volstad/Sanchez/Hensley are ineffective, which I expect at least one of them to be, VandenHurk steps in and hopefully gives us a few quality starts. However, some people are hyping RVH more than they should for this upcoming season. He has great potential, some major league caliber pitches, but his inability to face get hitters out a second time around the lineup and an inability to keep his pitch count down makes him a perfect candidate at the moment for long relief duty. The reason RVH is being touted by so many is because your guy (JJ) hyped the heck out of him this winter picking Vandenhurk to be the biggest surprise going into the 2010 season. It's for a pretty good reason. He perfected the slider last year and this year, added a cut fastball. Gives him a pretty nice four pitch arsenal.
March 27, 201016 yr This game could be 1-0 or at worst 1-1 if the Marlins could play defense. I don't care who's pitching, the team behind you can't keep giving the other guys four or five outs an inning. Hensley has really shown a lot so far (thru six innings). He's keeping the Fish in this game and not imploding like we've seen so many times. They are either popping him up or hitting infield grounders. He's so un-Marlin...let's hope he continues. So far this has to be looked on in the dugout as a huge success. (turns out the sixth was Henley's last inning 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.