Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2010 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Featured Replies

^, tell me about it. Just imagine if Gholston panned out.

 

Miami will have an awesome draft, though. A draft similar to the Cowboys in 2005. I feel it.

Please, someone tell me that we didn't just pass on Jerry Hughes to get Jared Odrick...a guy who doesn't even fit our system.

 

 

 

He does. Think Jay Ratliff.

Well Parcells did draft DTs/DEs like DeMarcus Ware so...

 

 

 

What? Demarcus Ware played DE in college, not DT.

 

This is a good pick. I think the FO sees a little Jay Ratliff in Jared Odrick. And crap, I think the Jets will pick Hughes.

Which is why I said /DEs. I didn't mean Ware is both.

Please, someone tell me that we didn't just pass on Jerry Hughes to get Jared Odrick...a guy who doesn't even fit our system.

 

 

 

He does. Think Jay Ratliff.

 

 

Not a great comparison. To be a good NT (especially when you're underweight), your strength should be against the run, which is one of Odrick's weaknesses.

Please, someone tell me that we didn't just pass on Jerry Hughes to get Jared Odrick...a guy who doesn't even fit our system.

 

 

 

He does. Think Jay Ratliff.

 

 

Not a great comparison. To be a good NT (especially when you're underweight), your strength should be against the run, which is one of Odrick's weaknesses.

 

He'll have time to learn what it takes to be a NT. Right now, I expect him to only play NT on passing downs. But, he will be our NT.

 

Ratliff is a good comparison. One inch difference in height, but basically the same weight. And Ratliff is arguably the best NT out there.

Drew Brees on cover of Madden 2011.

 

 

 

Sucks for Drew Brees...

 

 

Cause of the Madden Curse?

 

 

Yeah, lol.

Drew Brees on cover of Madden 2011.

 

 

 

Sucks for Drew Brees...

 

 

Cause of the Madden Curse?

 

 

Yeah, lol.

 

lol, I guess. He hasn't been the same, though.

Please, someone tell me that we didn't just pass on Jerry Hughes to get Jared Odrick...a guy who doesn't even fit our system.

 

 

 

He does. Think Jay Ratliff.

 

 

Not a great comparison. To be a good NT (especially when you're underweight), your strength should be against the run, which is one of Odrick's weaknesses.

 

He'll have time to learn what it takes to be a NT. Right now, I expect him to only play NT on passing downs. But, he will be our NT.

 

Ratliff is a good comparison. One inch difference in height, but basically the same weight. And Ratliff is arguably the best NT out there.

 

 

Ratliff, at best, is the third best NT in the NFL after Wilfork and Rogers.

 

The point though is that even if he does turn out to be decent in the future, the FO should have taken Hughes (or at least Kindle.) We still have Cameron Wake and Charlie Anderson as our projected OLB's for 2010. We could have lived with Soliai starting next year for the first 8 games, but now who are we going to go for at OLB since we're probably not going to get Kindle? Koa Misi?

  • Author

Love the trade down, just as I had hoped...

 

However, I feel it was dumb to pass on Hughes for Odrick (who is a dropback DE in our system, not a NT). Oh well, now we have to go out and get an OLB, FS, and NT still in 2nd-4th rounds. I think Major Wright will be the 40th overall pick for us. However, I'm rooting for us to take Cam Thomas. I love Wright, but would rather grab him in the 3rd.

  • Author

I also love seeing Tebow getting taken in the 1st. Gator Nation!

So Tebow goes in the 1st round. Kinda strange, that's what the Brocs needed??

 

and before Claussen and McCoy?

 

Very surprising.

 

 

As a Jags fan I was dying to get C.J. Spiller but the Bills nabbed him one pick earlier. I'd have rather gotten Derrick Morgan, Aluala seems like a big reach too.

Really nice trade for the Dolphins. Odrick can play DE or DT in a 3-4. He may not be able to play nose right away, but he'll gain weight in an NFL training program and be a quality front 7 player who can rotate from inside to outside.

 

Miller - I would have loved Odrick, but Kyle Wilson is HUGE value and an amazing pick. I'm thrilled. He's also a top return man. So, we now have Santonio Holmes, Kyle Wilson, Brad Smith, and Leon Washington in the return game.

 

Special teams, a weakness for the Jets a few months ago, may have become a strength now.

 

We officially have the best secondary in football.

We have easily a top 10 LB core, maybe top 5.

Our D-line is top 15 if healthy, but we need to add a pick or 2 to the mix.

 

Our O-line is top 5, maybe top 3.

Our RBs are very strong, especially if Leon can be anything like he was before the injury. Top 10 in talent? Probably top 5 in production, since we'll still be a run-first team.

Our WRs are top 5, maybe top 3.

 

If the Jets can grab a D-Lineman in round 2 and and OT/OG in round 4, they will be in fantastic shape and, talent-wise, easily a top-7 team next year.

Mystikol, a lot to be happy about in NY. Congrats on a great pick.

 

Watch out for Detroit. I know this is premature, but they're going to be good next year. I can see them winning 7 to 9 games.

Anyone else laughing at Denver?

 

Cutler for crap.

Marshall for pretty much nothing (immediate).

Brady Quinn.

Now including Tim Tebow.

Wait! Wait! Welcome! Jimmy Clausen!

hahaha.

Culter for crap? Marshall for nothing? Sorry, but I have to disagree. I like what the Broncos are doing(sort of).

I thought kiper was gonna have a melt down with Clausen not being picked in the 1st round.

 

Pumped the Colts got Hughes though. Now they have some depth when Freeney or Mathis need a rest. Maybe they can even work them all in on certain passing downs.

Culter for crap? Marshall for nothing? Sorry, but I have to disagree. I like what the Broncos are doing(sort of).

 

 

 

Actually, Denver's draft was quite laughable. Specifically when the explanation for the WR they drafted was: "He reminds us of Brandon Marshall." Makes a lot of sense, you trade Brandon Marshall, then weeks later, you draft someone because he reminds you of him. I thought they were going in a different direction? Guess not.

 

As for the Dolphins pick, what the other guys are saying kinda makes sense. I don't know about the move if he can't be a NT, the Dolphins already have guys like him. I'm guessing the Dolphins were hoping Williams would fall to them at 28, really.

Culter for crap? Marshall for nothing? Sorry, but I have to disagree. I like what the Broncos are doing(sort of).

 

 

 

Actually, Denver's draft was quite laughable. Specifically when the explanation for the WR they drafted was: "He reminds us of Brandon Marshall." Makes a lot of sense, you trade Brandon Marshall, then weeks later, you draft someone because he reminds you of him. I thought they were going in a different direction? Guess not.

 

As for the Dolphins pick, what the other guys are saying kinda makes sense. I don't know about the move if he can't be a NT, the Dolphins already have guys like him. I'm guessing the Dolphins were hoping Williams would fall to them at 28, really.

 

After consulting the opinions of those I respect, they don't see Odrick as a nose tackle, so I take back that comment. He's a quality player, but with the Dolphins already having Merling, Starks, and Langford, he's a luxury and not a necessity, and there were probably more important needs to fill.

 

I'm surprised they passed on Kindle/Hughes. I'm also surprised they didn't try and move back up 2 spots for Dan Williams, but I guess they weren't too interested.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.