If Admin Beinfest...

Sister Mary

Say this bullpen continues on the track they seemed destined to go, and really blow up badly.

To try to save some face, Admin Beinfest then goes out and trades for a couple of arms he could have had for nothing this past off-season, and includes some of the depth we have for the supposed future, will your assessment of Beinfest change ?

Its like the Robertson trade....this off-season there were decent FA's he could have signed and didn't. Then in desperation, he traded off a valuable asset, hence making the organization weaker for the future. I hope he doesn't do it, but I can see it coming.

How long will pitchers like Volstad, Johnson have any trust in this organization when they so blatantly ignore their weaknesses ? This bullpen is a mess and its failure is at the feet of Beinfest.

there are at least 2 free agents i wouldn't mind seeing beinfest sign: braden looper and russ springer. or even go and try to re-sign mcclung, he can't be any worse than veras or hensley

He only couldn't beat them out for a job this Spring Training...

Based on his Spring Training performance, Hensley deserves more than 2 appearances to see what he's got. Give him a little break, we're not even talking about this, if Hanley makes that play...which wasn't easy, but it was an error, anyway. Hensley got a groundball out of it. Can't really fault him much.

Veras and Pinto...I really hope Fredi realizes that there are better options in the pen as the year goes on.

this is one year where we need a few guys like tucker, tank or ceda to step up as well as a need to acquire a closer at the deadline

If we're in contention in July, I'm almost positive the Marlins will be interested in a guy like Heath Bell. They were last year, just never happened. Based on the rumors, I'm glad it didn't.

Its like the Robertson trade....this off-season there were decent FA's he could have signed and didn't. Then in desperation, he traded off a valuable asset, hence making the organization weaker for the future. I hope he doesn't do it, but I can see it coming.

Yeah, Jay Voss is really valuable. A guy who might become a LOOGY one day if he's fortunate. How will we ever survive that one?...

Last time I checked, this was the fourth game of the season.

I remember people back the first month of last season complaining that we had the worst bullpen of all time. How did that work out?

I understand this is a message board, but a season is still 162 games, conclusions can't be made in a week. If they were, the Marlins would've had the best starting rotation in all of baseball and Emilio Bonifacio would've won the MVP award last season.

I remember people back the first month of last season complaining that we had the worst bullpen of all time. How did that work out?

I understand this is a message board, but a season is still 162 games, conclusions can't be made in a week. If they were, the Marlins would've had the best starting rotation in all of baseball and Emilio Bonifacio would've won the MVP award last season.

As I said in another thread...Brian Sanches didn't even start the season with us last year. That happens all the time, especially with relievers. Also, it wouldn't be as bad if Fredi would use Meyer over Pinto more often than not...if he used a righty who can throw strikes over Veras.

Right now, only two relievers have been horrible. Pinto and Veras. I don't like either of the 2, but those 2 also aren't as bad as they've pitched the past 2 times out. And Veras probably won't even be on the team when Sanches comes back, if he keeps pitching this way.

I wish they could have found a taker for Pinto this off-season. I'm hoping Tankersley can put things together and make a comeback to the major leages.

Ryan Tucker had an awesome start the other night, we could see him up. Maybe Ceda starts some domination.

With awesome starts from Volstad and Robertson, we cannot keep wasting these types of games. JJ and Ricky will be aces all year, so if that bottom half can plug away like it has, Beinfest needs to do something quickly to stop losing games that this team should be winning without question.

I wish they could have found a taker for Pinto this off-season...

Welcome to my world. :notworthy

I know his service time but does he have options left I wonder, anything, to get him to New Orleans and give Scott Mitchell a chance to fix him. Looked at Pinto's gamelogs and how many games inwhich he allowed his own runners to score and through game recaps you see how many additional inherited runners scored on his watch. It's not a pretty picture. His stat line is a great example of how badly just looking at stats can tell the story. I don't like to say this but I wondered out loud last night if Fredi was just running him out there to force management's hand early in the season.

How come no one is giving props to Tim Wood, he stepped up big to save that game earlier this week ... He looks like he could eat up innings throughout the year as the rest of bullpen struggles. The guy is home grown, drafted by the Fish 6 or 7 yrs ago and slowly worked his way to the bigs...

All I remember is that there were a number of guys who pitched well in the early innings, and then the back end which dramatically fell apart on a number of occasions. Most notably the stretch run, where Nunez (who had replaced an ineffective closer to begin with) really blew some important games down the stretch on the way to a very subpar closer performance.

Maybe that qualifies as a success to you, but I'm hoping for a year where our bullpen (and also our starting pitching) doesn't melt down during the stretch run. I'd actually like to see the playoffs again.

Most teams in the league either a) just didn't really care that much about improving their teams, like the Cubs and Pirates or b) have guys who, despite their early struggles, have much better talent and track record in their bullpens.

I also recall most of the complaints delt with 1) Pinto 2) Lindstrom and later in the year 3) Nunez, IIRC. One got traded, one still makes me wish we HAD managed to trade, and one is still very questionable.

Though, that said, I thought last year we had more worries about our starting 5 having issues getting out of the 6th inning early in the year, minus those two (and later three) bullpen arms.

Guest Guest

The Marlins should dump Veras and call up Scott Strickland. He is a proven major league pitcher who deserved to make the bullpen in the first place.

I've been arguing this for weeks.

Veras didn't pitch too well in 2009 and had a subpar spring. I don't know why he made the team over Strickland.

We got a long way to go(as does every other team obviously)but the bullpen was my main concern going into this season.

I think Wood will be solid this year and Pinto is Pinto(he's ok but just so inconsistent at times) We will most likely add and drop guys throughout the year in the bullpen as is the case most any year. Veras is one that worries me a lot as for coming in and getting strikes. Hopefully Sanches comes back ok and can throw well. The Hopper will give us some solid innings. We should know just how bad or how good we will be in the pen in about another month. 30 games or so..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.