May 10, 201016 yr Lets hope we are welcoming back the 2009 Dan Meyer That would be nice. I liked what I saw of Jones aside from his debut walk. Hopefully he ends up being a stable part of our bullpen for a few years.
May 12, 201016 yr Most here know this already that I'm not a fan of the man Joe Nelson. Thought his behavior at the Winter Meetings was deplorable but a guy has to put food on the table when he's been in and out of the show so often. Don't know how the Marlins would feel about him returning, not sure if that bridge is a smoldering pile of embers or just in need new of a new paint job but Joe is pitching lights out in Pawtucket having lost out in a three-way battle for the last reliever spot with the Red Sox. He has not given up a run in his last ten appearances. Over that span his ERA is 1.20 with fifteen strikeouts in the same number of innings (21 for 18 inn overall in 2010) and he can still get out both lefties (hint hint) as well as righties http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=406874 Joe has an opt-out June 1 and can declare his free agency then if the Red Sox haven't called him up and so far they don't seem to be in a rush to do so. Like I said it might take some coaxing for the Fish to take him back but if you have to ask yourself would you rather have Nelson or Pinto this summer based on the way each has pitched this season so far? Just a thought and maybe something to keep an eye on for the next two or three weeks. edit: It also might be worth noting he's pitching in the best AAA league there is, the International League so the caliber of hitters he's facing are some of the best talent in the game at that level. Joe fell apart last summer but I'm optimistic he can get close to repeating his last stint here if not overused, unlike Calero who no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole right now with his 10+ ERA in Buffalo. Nunez, Hensley, Nelson, Sanches, Badenhop, LeRoux, and maybe Meyer. Not so bad if Nelson continues and the Sox don't pull the trigger (or made a trade beforehand - hint hint hint) and Jones will be back I'm sure if Meyer doesn't do it, so you have a good mix of young, veterans and wiley old guys who could give Fredi some better matchups out of the pen..
May 12, 201016 yr He's a AAAA player. Homeboy didn't even make it into August without getting sent down. And I rather have Pinto. One guy is a 35-year-old career minor leaguer with 1 good season and a career 4.07 ERA and the other is a 27-year-old in his 5th full season in the majors with a career 3.67 ERA. And before the ridiculous wrongitude comes at me, Pinto has a career 29% inherited runners scoring and Nelson has 36% (41% in 2008 with the Marlins). 32% has been the Major League average since 2006.
May 12, 201016 yr Most here know this already that I'm not a fan of the man Joe Nelson. Thought his behavior at the Winter Meetings was deplorable but a guy has to put food on the table when he's been in and out of the show so often. Don't know how the Marlins would feel about him returning, not sure if that bridge is a smoldering pile of embers or just in need new of a new paint job but Joe is pitching lights out in Pawtucket having lost out in a three-way battle for the last reliever spot with the Red Sox. He has not given up a run in his last ten appearances. Over that span his ERA is 1.20 with fifteen strikeouts in the same number of innings (21 for 18 inn overall in 2010) and he can still get out both lefties (hint hint) as well as righties http://web.minorleag..._pbp&pid=406874 Joe has an opt-out June 1 and can declare his free agency then if the Red Sox haven't called him up and so far they don't seem to be in a rush to do so. Like I said it might take some coaxing for the Fish to take him back but if you have to ask yourself would you rather have Nelson or Pinto this summer based on the way each has pitched this season so far? Just a thought and maybe something to keep an eye on for the next two or three weeks. edit: It also might be worth noting he's pitching in the best AAA league there is, the International League so the caliber of hitters he's facing are some of the best talent in the game at that level. Joe fell apart last summer but I'm optimistic he can get close to repeating his last stint here if not overused, unlike Calero who no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole right now with his 10+ ERA in Buffalo. Nunez, Hensley, Nelson, Sanches, Badenhop, LeRoux, and maybe Meyer. Not so bad if Nelson continues and the Sox don't pull the trigger (or made a trade beforehand - hint hint hint) and Jones will be back I'm sure if Meyer doesn't do it, so you have a good mix of young, veterans and wiley old guys who could give Fredi some better matchups out of the pen.. Did Pinto get traded or something? Seems like you really don't like him. Truth be told, Nelson is not in the big leagues at the moment, and Pinto has outpitched the other lefty in our pen (Meyer). This seems a bit unfair to Pinto.
May 12, 201016 yr The plus with Nelson is he can be used in many more situations than Pinto as he has a history of successfully getting both lefties and righties out. There seems to be a recurring theme here not with you Erick per se, but that if I think there might be a better way to accomplish something it must be because I have grudge against a player or just plain don't like him. I really try to not speak of players disparagingly, they are after all major leaguers, they got here because they have value. In Pinto's case I want him to succeed every time he goes out there but in all honesty I don't "trust" him. He's made a number of bad choices on and off the field in the last year and they make me question not just his skillset but his stability. This is all hypothetical, but I think a ham and egger like Nelson may be more what the Fish need. All I'm saying is it's worth keeping eye on (what Boston does).
May 12, 201016 yr He's made a number of bad choices ... off the field Huh? I don't remember any off field issues with him. Aside from walks, I don't remember any on field issues with him either. Am I missing something?
May 12, 201016 yr Scott Strickland was throwing well in AAA, but I'm surprised he doesn't have more IP by now. Is he hurt?
May 12, 201016 yr Scott Strickland was throwing well in AAA, but I'm surprised he doesn't have more IP by now. Is he hurt? Yeah, he's on the 7 day DL.
May 12, 201016 yr He's made a number of bad choices ... off the field Huh? I don't remember any off field issues with him. Aside from walks, I don't remember any on field issues with him either. Am I missing something? Yeah, Marlins2003, you need to expand because I guess I haven't heard.
May 12, 201016 yr He's made a number of bad choices ... off the field Huh? I don't remember any off field issues with him. Aside from walks, I don't remember any on field issues with him either. Am I missing something? http://www.miaminewt...a-jilted-agent/
May 12, 201016 yr He's made a number of bad choices ... off the field Huh? I don't remember any off field issues with him. Aside from walks, I don't remember any on field issues with him either. Am I missing something? Yeah, Marlins2003, you need to expand because I guess I haven't heard. Has no one ever heard of Goggle? And yeah you are missing mucho. lolol, only kidding bro.
May 12, 201016 yr Driving without a license and having a small beef with his agent and are not big off the field issues. Now I remember why I never waste time reading that stupid newspaper.
May 12, 201016 yr He also missed FanFest, I guess. Not sure that's enough of a reason to part ways with a decent pitcher for a career minor league lifer like Nelson.
May 12, 201016 yr Driving without a license and having a small beef with his agent and are not big off the field issues. Now I remember why I never waste time reading that stupid newspaper. Well New Times hasn't been the same since Art Teele blew his brains out and the real estate market burst, Chapter 2. http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/02/where_in_the_world_is_renyel_p.php
May 12, 201016 yr He also missed FanFest, I guess. Not sure that's enough of a reason to part ways with a decent pitcher for a career minor league lifer like Nelson. nice rewrite bobby not at all what I said.
May 13, 201016 yr God, Gus Garcia-Roberts has a serious personal problem with Pinto. Both his articles on him read less like news and more like hit pieces. That was almost despicable. Gus Garcia-Roberts, of the Miami New Times, if you read this, I hope you understand that you're an insult to journalistic integrity. That was pathetic. So I say this to you Marlins2003, buddy, consider the source.
May 13, 201016 yr God, Gus Garcia-Roberts has a serious personal problem with Pinto. Both his articles on him read less like news and more like hit pieces. That was almost despicable. Gus Garcia-Roberts, of the Miami New Times, if you read this, I hope you understand that you're an insult to journalistic integrity. That was pathetic. So I say this to you Marlins2003, buddy, consider the source. lol he has problems with everyone I can't stand him myself no doubt. but look beyond those two pieces in a Google search. did pinto have outstanding warrants in two counties? Yes. Did he give a cop the finger? Was he being sued by his agent? yes. Did he blow off Fanfest? Yes. this all because I made a minor comment of pinto making bad choices off the field which all turn out to be true. Gee. I'd call those bad choices. the real subject at hand is a guy who was successful here previously, who I even set up as not particularly caring for and probably not someone the Fish would invite back with open arms, is pitching very well biding his time and might be available in a few weeks and he potentially fills a need for the marlins bullpen. that of course was pretty much ignored and if memory serves you aren't any great fan of the guy either.
May 13, 201016 yr God, Gus Garcia-Roberts has a serious personal problem with Pinto. Both his articles on him read less like news and more like hit pieces. That was almost despicable. Gus Garcia-Roberts, of the Miami New Times, if you read this, I hope you understand that you're an insult to journalistic integrity. That was pathetic. So I say this to you Marlins2003, buddy, consider the source. lol he has problems with everyone I can't stand him myself no doubt. but look beyond those two pieces in a Google search. did pinto have outstanding warrants in two counties? Yes. Did he give a cop the finger? Was he being sued by his agent? yes. Did he blow off Fanfest? Yes. this all because I made a minor comment of pinto making bad choices off the field which all turn out to be true. Gee. I'd call those bad choices. the real subject at hand is a guy who was successful here previously, who I even set up as not particularly caring for and probably not someone the Fish would invite back with open arms, is pitching very well biding his time and might be available in a few weeks and he potentially fills a need for the marlins bullpen. that of course was pretty much ignored and if memory serves you aren't any great fan of the guy either. Did he? I can't find them. I've actually looked (and I know how to look) and I can't find any record of those warrants or anything about the warrants. No one else has mentioned the warrants without pointing to that New Times "article". Not to mention that he's a baseball player in the in the summer, showing up to work every night, where tons of the cops who are supposedly looking for him are working. Not exactly on the lamb there. The New Times has a history of smudging and even ignoring facts in their "investigative journalism". You sometimes say consider the source; well, don't even consider the New Times. It's a rag. And how can you say I ignored you talking about Nelson, my first post, directly after yours in this thread, was this: He's a AAAA player. Homeboy didn't even make it into August without getting sent down. And I rather have Pinto. One guy is a 35-year-old career minor leaguer with 1 good season and a career 4.07 ERA and the other is a 27-year-old in his 5th full season in the majors with a career 3.67 ERA. And before the ridiculous wrongitude comes at me, Pinto has a career 29% inherited runners scoring and Nelson has 36% (41% in 2008 with the Marlins). 32% has been the Major League average since 2006. That's doing nothing but comparing Nelson to Pinto as far as our bullpen goes. And I'm not "not a fan", though his actions at the 2008-2009 Winter Meetings really got to me, I just don't think he's very good. The way I see it his off the field issues are way worse than Pinto's.
May 13, 201016 yr So I guess your contention remains he didn't blow off Fanfest, he wasn't sought by the police in two counties and he wasn't being sued by his agent, I get it. :banghead
May 13, 201016 yr He did blow off fanfest, but both Rabb and I have looked for more evidence than just "Riptide reports" in the "sought by police in two counties" thing. I think it's questionable to say the least, especially given that the author of those two posts obviously has no ethics whatsoever and seems to have it out for Pinto. He cites no sources, and it hasn't been independently verified by any other outlets, so yeah, there's plenty of reason to question it. Considering the source. I mean, if the police were after him in the middle of the season, wouldn't somebody have reported on it besides the Miami New Times?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.