The Puerto Rican Series and Marlins Managers

PBCMarlinsFan

Most of us know by now that Edwin Rodriguez is the first Puerto Rican manager in the history of MLB. So, you've got to figure he'll be the manager of the Marlins at least through the end of the month and the series in San Juan, Puerto Rico against Los Mets. Most agree his tenure with the big club will be a short one.

But lets say that by the end of the month he has something like a 6-3 record as manager and the clubhouse situation has been calmed. Do you think he has a chance of staying on as skipper?

I question what advantage there is in bringing in an armchair manager like Valentine at this point. Sure, he has big league experience. But he has been out of the bigs for awhile. And on top of that, if you bring in a Valentine then the Marlins will to some extent become the Bobby Valentine Show.

Rodriguez on the other hand has been a professional manager up to coming up to the big club, most recently with the Triple A Zephyrs. He knows a lot of the younger players at this point, who have played underneath him and who seem to respect him. Also don't discount the fact he can communicate fluently with the latin players on the team.

Sure, there will be a learning curve. But if he proves to be a decent bullpen manager, the players respond to him, and the Marlins are winning - why not give Rodriguez a shot at captaining this ship for more than a weekend excursion?

Bobby V was in Japan up until last year I believe so he's not that far removed from managing. But no I don't see him staying on as the full time manager; I don't see him sticking around until the Puerto Rico series just because, I don't see him sticking around once all the formalities are done. They want Valentine and Valentine wants to manage, if Loria and co. and get their guy then that's that.

Bobby V was in Japan up until last year I believe so he's not that far removed from managing. But no I don't see him staying on as the full time manager; I don't see him sticking around until the Puerto Rico series just because, I don't see him sticking around once all the formalities are done. They want Valentine and Valentine wants to manage, if Loria and co. and get their guy then that's that.

I think Rodriguez will at least be on board for the PR series. It would be bad PR for the Marlins to fire him before then. That said, I agree with the rest of what you've written. If Loria has decided Valentine is his man then he is his man and that is that. I just question whether or not that is a wise decision.

Then again if the report that Erick just posted is correct maybe this is all a moot point. It just seems strange to me the Marlins would give the first Puerto Rican a chance to manage a major league club in the history of the game and then snatch it away from him right before a rare regular season series in Puerto Rico. Color me puzzled.

One final thought before I turn in for the night - what are the Marlins trying to achieve with this firing of Fredi Gonzalez? Is it to try and turn around the team? If so, why not give the interim manager a chance. I have never been impressed all that much with Bobby Valentine and what he brings to the table. One thing he'll almost definitely give the Marlins is a bloated contract. Edwin Rodriguez has given many good years to the Marlins and he definitely brings a number of positives to the table.

I think the Marlins should give the new guy a chance to earn his bones before they ship him back. We don't need any more drama with this team. If we can get a manager who can quietly manage the team well and calm this storm, let him stay as long as he can win.

Is there something about the word "interim" that's confusing?

They won't be snatching anything away from him when he is replaced. He took what he knew was a strictly temporary position and the fact that he's the first MLB manager from PR has nothing to do with anything.

It would be retarded to keep the interim manager for a few games just for PR reasons.

I guess the Marlins are retarded! I am also wondering how much of a role MLB also has taken in making sure Edwin is managing on Monday. I wanted to clarify I indicated money was a major determinant of this decision Tickets need to be sold. The financial situation isnt good anywhere but in Puerto Rico is highly more magnified

The Mets are the team with most puertoricans on their roster and the Marlins are the first team ever managed by a puertorican, now that is something that will sell!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.