June 30, 201016 yr Not sure why you'd say that. As good as his numbers are, his peripherals actually suggest that his ERA should be even lower, right now. He's not Jaime Garcia; he's legit. The only reason I don't think he should be in the game is because I don't think it's fair. Not enough starts/innings for me. But he's definitely legit. This happens every year. Just wait for batters to start figuring him out. That's why I'd say that. Garcia has made it this far and they've yet to really figure him out. I doubt that lasts. And I doubt it lasts with Strasburg. Do understand, I'm not saying that Strasburg wont be that good in the future, but he's immature and he's yet to go through a real rough outing or anything like that. Give him the end of the season and if his SO ratio doesnt lower to under 8 and his ERA isnt over 2.50, come back to me on this.
June 30, 201016 yr Not sure why you'd say that. As good as his numbers are, his peripherals actually suggest that his ERA should be even lower, right now. He's not Jaime Garcia; he's legit. The only reason I don't think he should be in the game is because I don't think it's fair. Not enough starts/innings for me. But he's definitely legit. This happens every year. Just wait for batters to start figuring him out. That's why I'd say that. Garcia has made it this far and they've yet to really figure him out. I doubt that lasts. And I doubt it lasts with Strasburg. Do understand, I'm not saying that Strasburg wont be that good in the future, but he's immature and he's yet to go through a real rough outing or anything like that. Give him the end of the season and if his SO ratio doesnt lower to under 8 and his ERA isnt over 2.50, come back to me on this. Some pitchers are just awesome. Jaime Garcia isn't this good, but quite honestly, Strasburg is. Jaime Garcia will get figured out because realistically he's a middle of the rotation pitcher; with Strasburg, it's different. He'll soon be in the "Josh Johnson class" of aces in the near future, pending he stays healthy. The strikeouts aren't a fluke either, he definitely has the stuff to K over 1 per inning. There's a reason why there's so much hype around him, in the first place.
June 30, 201016 yr I understand that. But like any player his best stuff is not going to come first. Im fully aware that he will be in the same class as the Josh Johnsons and whatnot. But just wait on it. The best of his career is ahead of him, not right now. Regardless... you are missing my point. His comment was placed to make it seem as though the other pitchers could not complete the job Strasburg could at the all star game, when in reality he's not ahead of any of those guys. He's on the same statistical playing field. JJ and Ubaldo are in their own world right now, and then you've an ample amount of tier 2 pitchers that will all do the same job at the all star game. I dont know how you can present an argument stating that a guy who has less innings but similar numbers to everyone else is going to do a better job in the 1 inning he will get to play?
July 1, 201016 yr I understand that. But like any player his best stuff is not going to come first. Im fully aware that he will be in the same class as the Josh Johnsons and whatnot. But just wait on it. The best of his career is ahead of him, not right now. Regardless... you are missing my point. His comment was placed to make it seem as though the other pitchers could not complete the job Strasburg could at the all star game, when in reality he's not ahead of any of those guys. He's on the same statistical playing field. JJ and Ubaldo are in their own world right now, and then you've an ample amount of tier 2 pitchers that will all do the same job at the all star game. I dont know how you can present an argument stating that a guy who has less innings but similar numbers to everyone else is going to do a better job in the 1 inning he will get to play? Strasburg has shown to be a huge strikeout pitcher. Seeing as pitchers in the ASG pitch one or two innings at most, someone like Strasburg could be very useful, especially in the later innings. All those people you listed can get outs, but when you need a strikeout I think I'd feel pretty good with Strasburg. NO ONE in the AL has seen him and he throws absolute filth. It's an advantage.
July 1, 201016 yr Strasburg has shown to be a huge strikeout pitcher. Seeing as pitchers in the ASG pitch one or two innings at most, someone like Strasburg could be very useful, especially in the later innings. All those people you listed can get outs, but when you need a strikeout I think I'd feel pretty good with Strasburg. NO ONE in the AL has seen him and he throws absolute filth. It's an advantage. That is the first point that I've seen that I actually agree with. I could see this as a reason as to why he would do better, although still Im tellin ya just wait people will adjust to his pitching. But none the less it doesnt make Strasburg any more deserving.
July 1, 201016 yr Strasburg has shown to be a huge strikeout pitcher. Seeing as pitchers in the ASG pitch one or two innings at most, someone like Strasburg could be very useful, especially in the later innings. All those people you listed can get outs, but when you need a strikeout I think I'd feel pretty good with Strasburg. NO ONE in the AL has seen him and he throws absolute filth. It's an advantage. I agree with your post, but Strasburg made two interleague starts against the Indians and White Sox.
July 1, 201016 yr Strasburg has shown to be a huge strikeout pitcher. Seeing as pitchers in the ASG pitch one or two innings at most, someone like Strasburg could be very useful, especially in the later innings. All those people you listed can get outs, but when you need a strikeout I think I'd feel pretty good with Strasburg. NO ONE in the AL has seen him and he throws absolute filth. It's an advantage. I agree with your post, but Strasburg made two interleague starts against the Indians and White Sox. Really the point is that the AL is highly unfamiliar with him.
July 1, 201016 yr Strasburg has shown to be a huge strikeout pitcher. Seeing as pitchers in the ASG pitch one or two innings at most, someone like Strasburg could be very useful, especially in the later innings. All those people you listed can get outs, but when you need a strikeout I think I'd feel pretty good with Strasburg. NO ONE in the AL has seen him and he throws absolute filth. It's an advantage. I agree with your post, but Strasburg made two interleague starts against the Indians and White Sox. Really the point is that the AL is highly unfamiliar with him. I understand that, but he said "NO ONE" lol
July 1, 201016 yr The Nays will have only one player at the all Star game most likely...Would you select Strasburg over Zimmerman? I couldn't do that if it was my choice
July 1, 201016 yr The Nays will have only one player at the all Star game most likely...Would you select Strasburg over Zimmerman? I couldn't do that if it was my choice I'd take Willingham over both of them. He's having a good enough season to start.
July 1, 201016 yr The Nays will have only one player at the all Star game most likely...Would you select Strasburg over Zimmerman? I couldn't do that if it was my choice I'd take Willingham over both of them. He's having a good enough season to start. He's having a great season, unfortunately OF is a bit more competitive. Although DH will still be a spot now.. so who knows. If Chris Coghlan didnt start off the season so rotten his name would be up there right now too.
July 1, 201016 yr Author The Nays will have only one player at the all Star game most likely...Would you select Strasburg over Zimmerman? I couldn't do that if it was my choice I'd take Willingham over both of them. He's having a good enough season to start. This, Hammer has better numbers then Heyward and arguably better numbers then Braun aswell. He deserves to start this season.
July 1, 201016 yr The Nays will have only one player at the all Star game most likely...Would you select Strasburg over Zimmerman? I couldn't do that if it was my choice I'd take Willingham over both of them. He's having a good enough season to start. This, Hammer has better numbers then Heyward and arguably better numbers then Braun aswell. He deserves to start this season. Braun hasn't been good enough to start regardless, neither has Heyward. Braun hasn't been all that great this year, his numbers have been down across the board. Hell, you could argue he shouldn't be on the team at all. Hammer has been WAY better than Braun, there's really no argument against that. Not only that but I've always been one that says it shouldn't just be "outfield", it should be LF, CF, and RF. And Hammer has been, by far, playing better than any LFer in NL. The only LFer in baseball outhitting him has been some other dude named Josh. I also need to say I hadn't realized how great of a season Colby Rasmus is having. He's an all-star.
July 1, 201016 yr Author Braun hasn't been good enough to start regardless, neither has Heyward. Braun hasn't been all that great this year, his numbers have been down across the board. Hell, you could argue he shouldn't be on the team at all. Hammer has been WAY better than Braun, there's really no argument against that. Not only that but I've always been one that says it shouldn't just be "outfield", it should be LF, CF, and RF. And Hammer has been, by far, playing better than any LFer in NL. The only LFer in baseball outhitting him has been some other dude named Josh. I also need to say I hadn't realized how great of a season Colby Rasmus is having. He's an all-star. Yep yep, I mean if you vote Heyward in with his numbers why not vote in Cody Ross? This is why I really do not like the fan voting because It's nothing but a popularity contest. My NL Allstar OF would Consist of Willingham LF, Carlos Gonzalez CF, Ethier RF, with Braun, Rasmus and two of Holliday, McCuthchen, Kemp, Jones or Byrd on the bench. Another crime is how Placido Polanco and Chase Utley are leading at there positions when David Wright and Scott Rolen are on tears offensively at 3rd and Martin Prado has been ridiculous this season batting .333 in 333 AB's along with Phillips, Weeks and Uggla who are all having a better season then Utley.
July 1, 201016 yr I dont think people have noticed how much Heyward's numbers have tanked. He had a horrific June. He also had a pretty bad spell to end April. He's been a bit streaky in the classic Cody Ross form.
July 4, 201016 yr Author Another decent start for Strasburg yesterday going only 5 IP 2 ER 3BB 5K 4H. I still don't see how a guy who's only gone 7 IP twice, one was in a loss, can be chosen to an All Star team.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.