August 9, 201016 yr EDWIN RODRIGUEZ SAYS LEO NUNEZ MUST MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, OR ELSE.....Manager Edwin Rodriguez said he would sit down with closer Leo Nunez before this afternoon's game and tell him he must rely more on his fastball and less on his change-up. Rodriguez said that if Nunez does not make an immediate adjustment, he could relinquish his closer's role. "Before he was over-using his change-up and he was having trouble closing games," Rodriguez said. "He went back to using more of his fastball and he was having success. Now, all of a sudden, the last two outings, he has started to use his change-up more. He needs to make an adjustment. For now, I'm going to use him as the closer. But, then again, if he doesn't make the adjustment we have to find other options -- closer by committee." Nunez has blown his last two save opportunities and seven of 33 on the season. Only Washington's Tyler Clippard has more blown saves: nine. Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2010/08/new-stance-new-life-for-hanley.html#ixzz0w8X9H3c9 Appears Edwin has more guts than Fredi ever did :notworthy
August 9, 201016 yr Good Job Edwin. He needs to use his fastball a little more but he still needs to use the changeup since it's the money pitch. He needs to also mix up the pitch sequences each batter not just changeup, fastball, change, change, change, change, fastball. There should not be a closer by committee, if Leo can't continue to get it done Clay Hensley should be the closer, he's arguably the best or second best pitcher in our bullpen might as well use him in high leverage situations.
August 9, 201016 yr Author Good Job Edwin. He needs to use his fastball a little more but he still needs to use the changeup since it's the money pitch. He needs to also mix up the pitch sequences each batter not just changeup, fastball, change, change, change, change, fastball. There should not be a closer by committee, if Leo can't continue to get it done Clay Hensley should be the closer, he's arguably the best or second best pitcher in our bullpen might as well use him in high leverage situations. Also I'm not sure he has the killer instinct. Maybe he has, but he doesn't show it. Maybe he has become too predictable. Do you think he somehow is showing his pitches before delivery?
August 9, 201016 yr Good Job Edwin. He needs to use his fastball a little more but he still needs to use the changeup since it's the money pitch. He needs to also mix up the pitch sequences each batter not just changeup, fastball, change, change, change, change, fastball. There should not be a closer by committee, if Leo can't continue to get it done Clay Hensley should be the closer, he's arguably the best or second best pitcher in our bullpen might as well use him in high leverage situations. Also I'm not sure he has the killer instinct. Maybe he has, but he doesn't show it. Maybe he has become too predictable. Do you think he somehow is showing his pitches before delivery? he also needs to show his damn slider for once. he doesnt have a 106 mph fastball and needs to give hitters something else to think about besides change up and fastball.
August 9, 201016 yr Good Job Edwin. He needs to use his fastball a little more but he still needs to use the changeup since it's the money pitch. He needs to also mix up the pitch sequences each batter not just changeup, fastball, change, change, change, change, fastball. There should not be a closer by committee, if Leo can't continue to get it done Clay Hensley should be the closer, he's arguably the best or second best pitcher in our bullpen might as well use him in high leverage situations. Also I'm not sure he has the killer instinct. Maybe he has, but he doesn't show it. Maybe he has become too predictable. Do you think he somehow is showing his pitches before delivery? Who Leo? Leo doesn't tip his pitches he's just to obvious with his pitch sequence now a days. The Kids has a 94+ MPH Fastball with movement and he breaks out a changeup at least 3 or 4 times in a row in an at bat and MLB hitters read scouting reports and pitchers and learn there tendencies in certain counts and situations and right now Leo throws his changeup about 70 to 80 percent of the time and when he doesn't locate it well it gets hammered. Also if he used the slider once in a while as a show me pitch he could get hitters really off balance. I don't believe in killer instinct because it doesn't take much to be a good closer in my opinion(I Know from Personal experience 7 saves last yea on JV and 2 on Varsity) and to be quite honest I don't even know what "killer instinct" has to do with anything in closing out a game. You pitch like you would in any other inning it's just the last inning of the game and you have the chance to give your team the win.
August 9, 201016 yr Well.. in spring training i remember reading a story about him tipping his pitches... if that is the case (which it probably isn't), maybe he should adopt a ryan dempster move to help hide his pitches!
August 9, 201016 yr Good Job Edwin. He needs to use his fastball a little more but he still needs to use the changeup since it's the money pitch. He needs to also mix up the pitch sequences each batter not just changeup, fastball, change, change, change, change, fastball. There should not be a closer by committee, if Leo can't continue to get it done Clay Hensley should be the closer, he's arguably the best or second best pitcher in our bullpen might as well use him in high leverage situations. Also I'm not sure he has the killer instinct. Maybe he has, but he doesn't show it. Maybe he has become too predictable. Do you think he somehow is showing his pitches before delivery? he also needs to show his damn slider for once. he doesnt have a 106 mph fastball and needs to give hitters something else to think about besides change up and fastball. That pitch that he used to allow his only HR thus far this year? Yeah, no thanks. Stick to the fastball and changeup. Most relievers don't need more than 2 pitches, anyway. He's not a starter.
August 9, 201016 yr 106 mph? Can a human even throw higher than 104? I'm sure it was just an exaggeration but Chapman of the Reds hit 103 twice I think last week.
August 9, 201016 yr 106 mph? Can a human even throw higher than 104? I'm sure it was just an exaggeration but Chapman of the Reds hit 103 twice I think last week. If or when his arm breaks, I will not be shoicked. That cannot be good for your arm at all.
August 9, 201016 yr 106 mph? Can a human even throw higher than 104? I'm sure it was just an exaggeration but Chapman of the Reds hit 103 twice I think last week. If or when his arm breaks, I will not be shoicked. That cannot be good for your arm at all. How does simply throwing hard (fastballs) hurt your arm?
August 9, 201016 yr 106 mph? Can a human even throw higher than 104? I'm sure it was just an exaggeration but Chapman of the Reds hit 103 twice I think last week. If or when his arm breaks, I will not be shoicked. That cannot be good for your arm at all. How does simply throwing hard (fastballs) hurt your arm? Go look up Joel Zumaya. One of my teammates used to hit 80 MPH when we were 13! He dislocated his elbow in the middle of a game when he was pitching. Overthrowing is terrible for you.
August 9, 201016 yr I'm loving Edwin's in your face honesty style, he's really grown on me. One can be honest and not talk to reporters.
August 10, 201016 yr 106 mph? Can a human even throw higher than 104? I'm sure it was just an exaggeration but Chapman of the Reds hit 103 twice I think last week. If or when his arm breaks, I will not be shoicked. That cannot be good for your arm at all. How does simply throwing hard (fastballs) hurt your arm? Go look up Joel Zumaya. One of my teammates used to hit 80 MPH when we were 13! He dislocated his elbow in the middle of a game when he was pitching. Overthrowing is terrible for you. Velocity doesn't mean you're going to get hurt. As you said, overthrowing can damage things (btw, Leo Nunez has his moments of overthrowing at times, imo). But look at a guy like Josh Johnson...it all depends. Sometimes, it's an easy 97-98. You can tell in a pitcher's mechanics, etc.
August 10, 201016 yr 106 mph? Can a human even throw higher than 104? I'm sure it was just an exaggeration but Chapman of the Reds hit 103 twice I think last week. If or when his arm breaks, I will not be shoicked. That cannot be good for your arm at all. How does simply throwing hard (fastballs) hurt your arm? Go look up Joel Zumaya. One of my teammates used to hit 80 MPH when we were 13! He dislocated his elbow in the middle of a game when he was pitching. Overthrowing is terrible for you. From what I remember there was plenty of kids who could throw 80 at 13. When I was fourteen we had a kid who through 89 at 14. And another kid from jersey at 86 at 14. There was something wrong with your friends throwing motion.
August 10, 201016 yr Author In Admin's post in "26 Saves, 7 Blown Saves" he states and I quote "Edwin mentioned a possible switch of closer after the game, said they need to discuss it."--#23. Obviously this is where the paper/reporter got the information.
August 10, 201016 yr By the way, Leo disagrees with Edwin. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/fl-marlins-leo-nunez-0810-20100809,0,1138086.story
August 10, 201016 yr Author By the way, Leo disagrees with Edwin. http://www.sun-senti...0,1138086.story Interesting.........wonder who is going to win the argument :mis2
August 10, 201016 yr This is what I was afraid of. Hopefully they don't have some kind of an argument because of this.
August 10, 201016 yr Author This is what I was afraid of. Hopefully they don't have some kind of an argument because of this. Yepper :thumbup
August 10, 201016 yr Leo needs to realize he is the player and can't just tell a manager "no" without any reprocussion. And I think Edwin is the type of guy who would act on it if Leo doesn't start throwing more FB's/sliders. I mean what would happen if Leo flat out refused to change something in his mechanics if Randy St. Claire tells him to adjust something?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.