How to make the playoffs

Get traded, designated, waived, non-tendered, released, ordered to clean out your locker and get out, etc. by the Marlins.

:lol

Everywhere you look except the Rays, there are ex-Marlins on play-off rosters.

Rangers: Jorge Cantu, Matt Treanor

Braves: Alex Gonzales, Derrek Lee

Giants: Guillermo Mota, Cody Ross

Yankees: AJ Burnett, Sergio Mitre

Phillies: Ross Gload

Twins: Carl Pavano

Reds: Arthur Rhodes

Honorable mention: Yankee Nick Johnson. He'd probably be there if he hadn't been on the DL since May and had season-ending surgery in August. Poor Nick. This time it was his right wrist.

I really don't exactly follow the careers of every guy whose played in a Marlin uniform, and when it comes down to it I can hardly remember some of these guys you listed as Marlins anymore, but I am definitely rooting hard for Cody Ross and Jorge Cantu. I'm glad that a disappointing departure for both of them has at least ended in some genuine excitement for both of them. And I am rooting for Treanor too, just because its kind of funny to think of Matt Treanor starting a playoff game.

I was gonna root for the Rays, but since Joe Maddon made a completely baffling, timid & awful postseason rotation (James Shield shouldn't even be told where baseballs are kept at this point, much less starting game 2) I've been pretty content to watch them crash and burn and root for a real nice story in the Rangers.

I really don't exactly follow the careers of every guy whose played in a Marlin uniform, and when it comes down to it I can hardly remember some of these guys you listed as Marlins anymore, but I am definitely rooting hard for Cody Ross and Jorge Cantu. I'm glad that a disappointing departure for both of them has at least ended in some genuine excitement for both of them. And I am rooting for Treanor too, just because its kind of funny to think of Matt Treanor starting a playoff game.

I was gonna root for the Rays, but since Joe Maddon made a completely baffling, timid & awful postseason rotation (James Shield shouldn't even be told where baseballs are kept at this point, much less starting game 2) I've been pretty content to watch them crash and burn and root for a real nice story in the Rangers.

Which of these guys do you not remember? They were all pretty significant members of Marlins teams in the last ~7 years. Mota is maybe the least memorable and anyone who was a fan post-2003 would probably remember him :mis2

Get traded, designated, waived, non-tendered, released, ordered to clean out your locker and get out, etc. by the Marlins.

Everywhere you look except the Rays, there are ex-Marlins on play-off rosters.

Rangers: Jorge Cantu, Matt Treanor

Braves: Alex Gonzales, Derrek Lee

Giants: Guillermo Mota, Cody Ross

Yankees: AJ Burnett, Sergio Mitre

Phillies: Cody Ross, Ross Gload

Twins: Carl Pavano

Reds: Arthur Rhodes

Honorable mention: Yankee Nick Johnson. He'd probably be there if he hadn't been on the DL since May and had season-ending surgery in August. Poor Nick. This time it was his right wrist.

Cody Ross can't be on 2 teams, no matter how awesome he is.

You can probably find a bunch of players for any team in this situation

Cody Ross can't be on 2 teams, no matter how awesome he is.

Oops.

I glanced at what I originally posted and when I saw "Ross Gload" I thought "Damn, I forgot the first names and the comma" and edited it without thinking. It was a "Ross" thing.

I corrected my erroneous correction. My apologies.

You can probably find a bunch of players for any team in this situation

That's certainly true, but I wasn't going to do a detailed examination of the histories of all 200 players on the 8 rosters. Just looking at 8 rosters for ex-Marlins I hadn't seen in a game yet was enough.

What I was struck by while just watching (before checking each roster) was the inordinate number of ex-Marlins. We have tended to have a lot of turnover of fairly good players, perhaps to the greatest extent of any MLB franchise. Think about it. Probably about half of the 200 guys have only been with the team they're now on. That leaves about 100 guys. 11 of them are ex-Marlins. If we had just an average percentage of ex-players, it would be maybe 3 or 4 or 5.

Maybe someone wants to look at all 200 guys, and there are some who are ex-many teams, and some ex-teams may come close to our total but I doubt anyone exceeds us.

Just an educated guess. Don't take it or me too seriously, this thread obviously had a bit of a humorous slant to it.

Mota is maybe the least memorable

Probably true. Mota is memorable to me for two things.

1) He was part of a juiced battery acquired via trade (with Loduca, and I'm sure the Dodgers knew exactly what they were getting rid of.)

2) The time he had the riot act read to him on the mound while he was being yanked by Jack McKeon after he had engaged in yet another pitiful example of his inability to perform in the clutch.

I especially like this description of it, courtesy of the Sun-Sentinel:

Mota, who had given up three runs in 1 2/3 innings, got chewed out so wildly in the middle of the eighth inning by an infuriated McKeon, the manager's head was bouncing up and down like a bobblehead before yanking the ball out of Mota's hand.

Jack also gave him holy hell in front of the whole team in the clubhouse after the game. I love Jack McKeon. He figured out that he was dealing with a BS artist, probably without knowing that he was a juicer, or maybe he did, in any case he gave him exactly what he deserved.

But, what the hell, Mota was part of the trade bait that brought Hanley here, so he may not be very memorable but he served his purpose.

Having too much time on my hands, I went poking around around all 8 rosters and 200 guys.

I was wrong about the total number of ex-Marlins, there are 3 more, total 14:

Cristhian Martinez - Braves

Darren Oliver - Rangers

Edgar Renteria - Giants

I was wrong about the Marlins probably having the highest total number of ex-players on play-off rosters, they're actually 3rd:

BOS 17 DET 15 FLA 14 OAK 13 CLE 12 SEA 11 TEX 11 CHW 11 NYM 10 LAA 10 KCR 10 PHI 10 LAD 9 HOU 9 TOR 9 COL 8 CHC 8 TPA 8 MIL 7 NYY 7 STL 7 ARI 7 CIN 7 PIT 7 MON 6 WSH 5 MIN 5 SDP 5 ATL 4 BAL 4 SFG 1 Average per team 8.7

I was wrong about the average number of players on a playoff roster who have played for no other team, it's not 12.5, it's actually 10.5:

Minnesota: 15: Mauer Butera Kubel Tolbert Casilla Valencia Span Cuddyer Duensing Liriano Mijares Baker Blackburn Crain Guerrier

Thome CLE PHI CHW LAD Punto PHI Hudson TOR AZI LAD Hardy MIL Young TPA Repko LAD Fuentes SEA COL LAA Capps PIT WSH Pavano MON FLA CLE NYY Rauch CHW MON WSH ARI

Cincinnati: 12: Hanigan Votto Janish Bruce Stubbs Heisey Cueto Chapman Ondrusek Bailey Wood Francisco

Hernandez OAK SDP BAL Phillips CLE Cabrera MON BOS LAA CHW OAK MIN Rolen PHI STL TOR Cairo TOR CHC TPA STL NYY NYM SEA PHI Gomes TPA Nix TEX MIL Volquez TEX Arroyo PIT BOS Cordero DET TEX MIL Rhodes BAL SEA OAK CLE PHI FLA Masset TEX CHW Bray WSH

Tampa: 11: Price Shields Davis Niemann Jaso Longoria Brignac Crawford Upton Zobrist Jennings

Garza MIN Soriano SEA ATL Benoit TEX Balfour MIN MIL Choate NYY ARI Wheeler NYM HOU Shoppach BOS CLE Bartlett MIN Rodriguez LAA Pena TEX OAK DET BOS Johnson OAK Joyce DET Baldelli BOS Qualls HOU ARI

San Francisco: 10: Bumgarner Cain Lincecum Romo Sanchezc Wilson Posey Ishikawa Sandoval Schierholtz

Affeldt KCR COL CIN Casilla OAK Lopez COL ARI BOS PIT Mota MON LAD FLA CLE NYM MIL Ramirez COL KCR BOS Whiteside BAL Fontenot CHC Huff TPA HOU BAL DET Renteria FLA STL BOS ATL DET Sanchez BOS PIT Uribe COL CHW Burrell PHI TPA Ross DET LAD CIN FLA Rowand CHW PHI Torres DET TEX

New York: 10: Chamberlain Hughes Rivera Robertson Cervelli Posada Cano Jeter Pena Gardner

Burnett FLA TOR Logan CHW Mitre CHC FLA Moseley LAA Pettitte HOU Sabathia CLE MIL Wood CHC CLE Berkman HOU Rodriguez SEA TEX Teixeira TEX ATL LAA Golson PHI TEX Granderson DET Kearns CIN WSH CLE Swisher OAK CHW Thames TEX DET

Texas: 10: Feliz Hunter Ogando Holland Wilson Andrus Kinsler Moreland Young Borbon

Lewis DET OAK Nippert ARI O'Day LAA NYM Lee CLE PHI SEA Oliver STL BOS COL FLA HOU NYM LAA Molina LAA TOR SFG Treanor FLA DET Blanco KCR CHC Cantu TPA CIN FLA German OAK KCR Cruz MIL Francoeur ATL NYM Guerrero MON LAA Hamilton CIN Murphy BOS

Atlanta: 8: Beachy Hanson Kimbrel Moylan Venters McCann Hernandez Heyward

Dunn NYY Farnsworth CHC DET NYY KCR Hudson OAK Lowe SEA BOS LAD Martinez FLA Wagner HOU PHI NYM BOS Ross LAD PIT SDP CIN BOS Conrad OAK Glaus LAA ARI TOR STL Gonzalez FLA BOS CIN Hinske TOR BOS TPA PIT NYM Infante DET Lee SDP FLA CHC Ankiel STL KCR Cabrera NYY Diaz TPA KCR McLouth PIT

Philadelphia: 8: Hamels Madson Bastardo Ruiz Howard Utley Rollins Brown

Halladay TOR Oswalt HOU Blanton OAK Lidge HOU Contreras NYY CHW COL Romero MIN BOS Durbin KCS CLE ARI DET Schneider MON WSH NYM Polanco STL DET Sweeney KCR OAK SEA Valdez CHW SEA SDP LAD NYM Dobbs SEA Ibanez SEA KCR Victorino SDP Werth TOR LAD Francisco CLE Gload CHC COL CHW KCR FLA

Thus endeth today's edition of useless playoff trivia.

Having too much time on my hands, I went poking around around all 8 rosters and 200 guys.

I was wrong about the total number of ex-Marlins, there are 3 more, total 14:

Cristhian Martinez - Braves

Darren Oliver - Rangers

Edgar Renteria - Giants

I was wrong about the Marlins probably having the highest total number of ex-players on play-off rosters, they're actually 3rd:

BOS 17 DET 15 FLA 14 OAK 13 CLE 12 SEA 11 TEX 11 CHW 11 NYM 10 LAA 10 KCR 10 PHI 10 LAD 9 HOU 9 TOR 9 COL 8 CHC 8 TPA 8 MIL 7 NYY 7 STL 7 ARI 7 CIN 7 PIT 7 MON 6 WSH 5 MIN 5 SDP 5 ATL 4 BAL 4 SFG 1 Average per team 8.7

I was wrong about the average number of players on a playoff roster who have played for no other team, it's not 12.5, it's actually 10.5:

Minnesota: 15: Mauer Butera Kubel Tolbert Casilla Valencia Span Cuddyer Duensing Liriano Mijares Baker Blackburn Crain Guerrier

Thome CLE PHI CHW LAD Punto PHI Hudson TOR AZI LAD Hardy MIL Young TPA Repko LAD Fuentes SEA COL LAA Capps PIT WSH Pavano MON FLA CLE NYY Rauch CHW MON WSH ARI

Cincinnati: 12: Hanigan Votto Janish Bruce Stubbs Heisey Cueto Chapman Ondrusek Bailey Wood Francisco

Hernandez OAK SDP BAL Phillips CLE Cabrera MON BOS LAA CHW OAK MIN Rolen PHI STL TOR Cairo TOR CHC TPA STL NYY NYM SEA PHI Gomes TPA Nix TEX MIL Volquez TEX Arroyo PIT BOS Cordero DET TEX MIL Rhodes BAL SEA OAK CLE PHI FLA Masset TEX CHW Bray WSH

Tampa: 11: Price Shields Davis Niemann Jaso Longoria Brignac Crawford Upton Zobrist Jennings

Garza MIN Soriano SEA ATL Benoit TEX Balfour MIN MIL Choate NYY ARI Wheeler NYM HOU Shoppach BOS CLE Bartlett MIN Rodriguez LAA Pena TEX OAK DET BOS Johnson OAK Joyce DET Baldelli BOS Qualls HOU ARI

San Francisco: 10: Bumgarner Cain Lincecum Romo Sanchezc Wilson Posey Ishikawa Sandoval Schierholtz

Affeldt KCR COL CIN Casilla OAK Lopez COL ARI BOS PIT Mota MON LAD FLA CLE NYM MIL Ramirez COL KCR BOS Whiteside BAL Fontenot CHC Huff TPA HOU BAL DET Renteria FLA STL BOS ATL DET Sanchez BOS PIT Uribe COL CHW Burrell PHI TPA Ross DET LAD CIN FLA Rowand CHW PHI Torres DET TEX

New York: 10: Chamberlain Hughes Rivera Robertson Cervelli Posada Cano Jeter Pena Gardner

Burnett FLA TOR Logan CHW Mitre CHC FLA Moseley LAA Pettitte HOU Sabathia CLE MIL Wood CHC CLE Berkman HOU Rodriguez SEA TEX Teixeira TEX ATL LAA Golson PHI TEX Granderson DET Kearns CIN WSH CLE Swisher OAK CHW Thames TEX DET

Texas: 10: Feliz Hunter Ogando Holland Wilson Andrus Kinsler Moreland Young Borbon

Lewis DET OAK Nippert ARI O'Day LAA NYM Lee CLE PHI SEA Oliver STL BOS COL FLA HOU NYM LAA Molina LAA TOR SFG Treanor FLA DET Blanco KCR CHC Cantu TPA CIN FLA German OAK KCR Cruz MIL Francoeur ATL NYM Guerrero MON LAA Hamilton CIN Murphy BOS

Atlanta: 8: Beachy Hanson Kimbrel Moylan Venters McCann Hernandez Heyward

Dunn NYY Farnsworth CHC DET NYY KCR Hudson OAK Lowe SEA BOS LAD Martinez FLA Wagner HOU PHI NYM BOS Ross LAD PIT SDP CIN BOS Conrad OAK Glaus LAA ARI TOR STL Gonzalez FLA BOS CIN Hinske TOR BOS TPA PIT NYM Infante DET Lee SDP FLA CHC Ankiel STL KCR Cabrera NYY Diaz TPA KCR McLouth PIT

Philadelphia: 8: Hamels Madson Bastardo Ruiz Howard Utley Rollins Brown

Halladay TOR Oswalt HOU Blanton OAK Lidge HOU Contreras NYY CHW COL Romero MIN BOS Durbin KCS CLE ARI DET Schneider MON WSH NYM Polanco STL DET Sweeney KCR OAK SEA Valdez CHW SEA SDP LAD NYM Dobbs SEA Ibanez SEA KCR Victorino SDP Werth TOR LAD Francisco CLE Gload CHC COL CHW KCR FLA

Thus endeth today's edition of useless playoff trivia.

:blink: ..You did this? Wow, man. That must've taken some work.

Only took a couple of hours while watching games over a couple of days. The hardest part was tracking down the original rosters from news releases (at least one of them has already changed, Baldelli/Aybar,) after that it was just a matter of slogging through them.

200 guys isn't really as bad as it sounds. It's worse.

Maybe the most interesting tid-bit to emerge is that Miguel Cairo has played for the most different teams, 9 including the Reds, in only 15 years. He's actually changed teams 12 times in 15 years, reappearing on the Cards once and the Cubs twice. Must be some sort of record. He has some talent, but that's hard to do. This guy has seen almost a third of all MLB clubhouses from the inside. He should probably write a book.

Regardless, I'm totally confident that no one else on the entire planet was dumb enough to waste their time digging up the sort of totally useless information I have presented in this tongue-in-cheek thread. I take total responsibility for it, it's entirely the product of boredom and a few cocktails.

Only took a couple of hours while watching games over a couple of days. The hardest part was tracking down the original rosters from news releases (at least one of them has already changed, Baldelli/Aybar,) after that it was just a matter of slogging through them.

200 guys isn't really as bad as it sounds. It's worse.

Maybe the most interesting tid-bit to emerge is that Miguel Cairo has played for the most different teams, 9 including the Reds, in only 15 years. He's actually changed teams 12 times in 15 years, reappearing on the Cards once and the Cubs twice. Must be some sort of record. He has some talent, but that's hard to do. This guy has seen almost a third of all MLB clubhouses from the inside. He should probably write a book.

Regardless, I'm totally confident that no one else on the entire planet was dumb enough to waste their time digging up the sort of totally useless information I have presented in this tongue-in-cheek thread. I take total responsibility for it, it's entirely the product of boredom and a few cocktails.

Regardless, it was a heck of a job and you deserve a pat on the back for it. But the next time you have so much time on your hands remember that my hedges always need trimming.