Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What about Donnie Bleepin' Murphy?

Featured Replies

With the likely scenario of Uggla's departure, it becomes clear that the Marlins have a problem regarding 2B/3B for 2011 (whichever one of those positions Coghlan doesn't play).

 

I've brought up Renteria as a one year stopgap at 2B, Dominguez name has been brought up for 3B by some on here and Beinfest as well...then there have been the Ozzie Martinez/Bonifacio mentions for 2B to improve defense, etc. Some say we should sign a free agent.

 

Anyway, one name that doesn't seem to be in consideration for one of those jobs is Donnie Murphy. Murphy would probably be as good, if not better, than some of those options.

 

He's shown power in the minor leagues. An overall line of .281/.346/.453 in the minor leagues. I remember last year that at least one poster (Nny) was in favor of giving Murphy the everyday role at 3B after Cantu's departure to see what he could do. He never got that opportunity, but Murphy showed that he could hit ML pitching off the bench, and defensively, I would say he's an upgrade (at either position...2B or 3B) to what we've had over the past couple of years.

 

Murphy's never really been given an opportunity to start in the big leagues; maybe he should be given a try (if Uggla leaves, of course). What does everyone think of Murphy as a 2011 season stopgap at 2B/3B?

Thanks for asking that, Eric. I've been thinking the same thing but never got around to starting the thread. I'm guessing he'll get a good look during ST (he certainly ought to) even if they're not sure exactly where they might use him. He did need major surgery on his wrist but I'm assuming he'll be healed by then.

sign uggla.

 

Even if they sign Uggla, and I hope they do, Murphy should get a good look. Can't hurt, might help.

 

definitely want donnie on the team but he is not the answer.

  • Author

Why not try Ozzie at third and Coghlan at second, if Uggla isn't retained and Dominguez isn't ready?

 

 

 

Because I'd imagine they'd rather try Coghlan at third/Ozzie at second, if Ozzie ends up winning a starters' job, somehow. :p

I'd imagine if Uggla is traded sooner rather than later, Coghlan takes 2nd base. It makes no sense to have him play 3rd base for a year, then just switch him again when Dominguez is ready.

That being said, I bet Donnie gets a fair chance to win one of the infield positions during ST. If the above scenario does happen, he is probably the best in-house option we have to stopgag 3rd. I have always liked him (who hasn't?) but he has yet to prove he can perform at a MLB level everyday, simply because he was never given the chance. If he proves it during ST, I would love to see him in the Opening Day starting lineup.

I don't hate the idea, but I don't really like it either. He's much more valuable off the bench.

If we trade Uggla, then Murphy should definately deserve a shot to win the 3rd base job in ST with Cogs at second. Like you said, he's can field his position and he can definitely hit.

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

 

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

 

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

 

I blame Nyjer Morgan

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

 

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

 

There's no reasoning with him.

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

 

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

 

I blame Nyjer Morgan

 

Same. If Morgan wasn't at 3rd, then Murphy wouldn't have tried to hurry and catch/release a bullet to get him out at home. That is the reason he fell on that play.

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

 

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

 

I blame Nyjer Morgan

 

Same. If Morgan wasn't at 3rd, then Murphy wouldn't have tried to hurry and catch/release a bullet to get him out at home. That is the reason he fell on that play.

Indeed, that's quite true, young man.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.