What about Donnie Bleepin' Murphy?

Erick

With the likely scenario of Uggla's departure, it becomes clear that the Marlins have a problem regarding 2B/3B for 2011 (whichever one of those positions Coghlan doesn't play).

I've brought up Renteria as a one year stopgap at 2B, Dominguez name has been brought up for 3B by some on here and Beinfest as well...then there have been the Ozzie Martinez/Bonifacio mentions for 2B to improve defense, etc. Some say we should sign a free agent.

Anyway, one name that doesn't seem to be in consideration for one of those jobs is Donnie Murphy. Murphy would probably be as good, if not better, than some of those options.

He's shown power in the minor leagues. An overall line of .281/.346/.453 in the minor leagues. I remember last year that at least one poster (Nny) was in favor of giving Murphy the everyday role at 3B after Cantu's departure to see what he could do. He never got that opportunity, but Murphy showed that he could hit ML pitching off the bench, and defensively, I would say he's an upgrade (at either position...2B or 3B) to what we've had over the past couple of years.

Murphy's never really been given an opportunity to start in the big leagues; maybe he should be given a try (if Uggla leaves, of course). What does everyone think of Murphy as a 2011 season stopgap at 2B/3B?

I'd imagine if Uggla is traded sooner rather than later, Coghlan takes 2nd base. It makes no sense to have him play 3rd base for a year, then just switch him again when Dominguez is ready.

That being said, I bet Donnie gets a fair chance to win one of the infield positions during ST. If the above scenario does happen, he is probably the best in-house option we have to stopgag 3rd. I have always liked him (who hasn't?) but he has yet to prove he can perform at a MLB level everyday, simply because he was never given the chance. If he proves it during ST, I would love to see him in the Opening Day starting lineup.

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

I blame Nyjer Morgan

Same. If Morgan wasn't at 3rd, then Murphy wouldn't have tried to hurry and catch/release a bullet to get him out at home. That is the reason he fell on that play.

Well, Donnie didn't think so.

That could have happened to anyone. Murph just lost his balance and tried to catch himself, and the result was unfortunate.

I blame Nyjer Morgan

Same. If Morgan wasn't at 3rd, then Murphy wouldn't have tried to hurry and catch/release a bullet to get him out at home. That is the reason he fell on that play.

Indeed, that's quite true, young man.