Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3B status and Chris Davis

Featured Replies

With Dominguez at 3B, and Infante for this year at 2B---I liek what the fish have done somewhat.

 

They Like the talent Coglan has with his bat, but want to find an everyday position for him to keep him from super sub status.

 

Hopefully CF sticks, or atleast 2B next year. I look forward to him in Miami for a long while.

I'll willingly go out on a limb and say there is absolutely no way Dominguez starts the season with the Marlins. He needs another year in the minors because he just can't hit.

bobbob: Baseball-reference has his WAR at -0.4 so what the other guy said is nonsense whether you use baseball-reference or whatever site you used.

 

 

He wasn't the reason, but he, more than any single player, hurt the Marlins chances of playing in the postseason that year. We probably still wouldn't have made the playoffs if we had a legitimate option at 3B, but having an everyday player give negative value makes it damn near impossible to make the playoffs.

Edwin loves the Boni. D'Angelo in the PBP:

 

Rodriguez said this morning that he’d rather see Emilio Bonifacio in the lineup every day than playing the utility role he’s penciled in for but acknowledges that may not be possible. “I would like to put him in the lineup on an everyday basis, somewhere, if it comes to that,� Rodriguez said. “His energy, what he brings to the game. … I like the lineup when he’s in the lineup.

 

Rodriguez may get his wish if third baseman Matt Dominguez does not make the team or if Coghlan is not healthy. Otherwise … “At some point in the season when everybody starts getting a day off, he’s going to start getting more playing time.�

 

Rodriguez says Bonifacio is above average defensively at second base and an average third baseman and outfielder.

 

 

:blink:

I'm not big on intangibles as I really believe the whole thing might just be a coincidence. Bonifacio is not a good hitter; everyone knows that. However, when he gets on base in games, the Marlins lineup seems to do well, overall.

 

The few winning streaks we've had the past couple of years seem to come when Bonifacio is playing well. For example, when the team started the season 11-1 in '09, and Bonifacio had a lot to do with that.

 

I'd hate to see him in the starting lineup, but I can definitely see what Edwin's trying to say when he says that Bonifacio brings energy to the lineup, etc.

 

He's not productive, but he defines the type of player that managers seem to love. Versatile, very good baserunner on the bases because of his speed, etc. He can make things happen with his speed; there's no doubt about that.

  • Author

I think it dosen't matter whether Bonifacio take a 2B job.

 

But if he take a 3B job, it really does matter. (cause of poor OPS)

I think it dosen't matter whether Bonifacio take a 2B job.

 

But if he take a 3B job, it really does matter. (cause of poor OPS)

 

 

 

We'll, more than likely, be getting below average production, regardless.

I'm not big on intangibles as I really believe the whole thing might just be a coincidence. Bonifacio is not a good hitter; everyone knows that. However, when he gets on base in games, the Marlins lineup seems to do well, overall.

 

The few winning streaks we've had the past couple of years seem to come when Bonifacio is playing well. For example, when the team started the season 11-1 in '09, and Bonifacio had a lot to do with that.

 

I'd hate to see him in the starting lineup, but I can definitely see what Edwin's trying to say when he says that Bonifacio brings energy to the lineup, etc.

 

He's not productive, but he defines the type of player that managers seem to love. Versatile, very good baserunner on the bases because of his speed, etc. He can make things happen with his speed; there's no doubt about that.

 

 

On the exceedingly rare occasions when Bonifacio is on base, he can certainly make things happen.

It's a bit late for this team to be looking for stop-gaps at 3rd outside the organization if Dominguez starts out slow (as he likely will, considering he hit like .242 in AA last year, which I believe translates to .200 at the pro level). Chris Davis would make no sense, as he has no experience at 3rd, and has had a lot of developmental problems that would result in him being more of a project. This team doesn't need that.

 

I will be pissed, however, if Dominguez struggles and all we've got to replace him with is some kind of unholy Helms/Bonifacio/Murphy platoon from Hell.

 

I'm really afraid that having a dead bat in the lineup for several months like we did back in 2009 with Bonifacio is going to cost us another chance at the playoffs. Remember, we narrowly missed them in 2009 with him, and I just have a feeling that if we had even a replacement level player at that position instead of him, we make the playoffs.

 

 

Right. It was all his fault. SPs had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Our starting pitching wasn't even close to the worst part of that team. A ERA of 4.57 isn't great for a starting staff, but it's not far off from the league average of 4.30.

 

On the other hand, having a starter at a premium position who was one of the worst, if not the worst, starting position player all of baseball, who was good at literally nothing on the field... that kinda hurt us.

 

He couldn't hit for average.

He couldn't hit for power.

He couldn't run the bases.

He couldn't throw the ball well.

He couldn't field the ball well.

He couldn't understand the strikezone.

He couldn't walk.

 

He was a zero tool player, and he was starting at 3rd base.

 

I just gotta laugh every time someone points to one person and blames him for us not making the play offs. Outside of this board everyone else seems to see the real picture.

 

But you guys go ahead. It's great to start the day off with a laugh.

So you don't think he was the worst part of this team in 2009?

 

And who is everyone outside of the board? The stadium used to groan audibly when Boni would come up to bat in a key spot.Can you actually comment on anything I said being incorrect? I can't see how anyone could successfully argue that he did any of those things correctly in 2009.

 

Only those people around you and others that all year long kept chanting/wanting to bring Gaby up when he wasn't ready. Or those that were still upset that Dallas didn't pan out.

 

Still, blaming an entire season on one player is childish. Rarely can ONE game be blamed on one player, much less an entire season.

 

Want someone to blame? Try the FO. They are the ones that forced a guy that really never played the position and wasn't ready for ML hitting to be a starter for about half the season or so because of their planning on a 1B that wasn't ready and had no real back up plan in place. Never really playing the position AND trying to adjust to ML hitting isn't something everyone can do at the same time. Especially at an IF position.

I'll willingly go out on a limb and say there is absolutely no way Dominguez starts the season with the Marlins. He needs another year in the minors because he just can't hit.

 

 

Recently I said on one of these threads that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he made the Opening Day roster. I'm backing off on that. A couple of ABs yesterday he just looked confused and overwhelmed at the plate. One in particular when there were runners on. Edwin said early in ST that they wanted to see how he responds once he hits a little slump. He's in a slump and isn't responding very well at all. Unless he completely turns this around in the next few days, then he will be enjoying Cajun cookin. I'm really pulling for the guy, just don't see it happening. Right now he looks as lost at the plate as LoMo did last ST.

I'm not big on intangibles as I really believe the whole thing might just be a coincidence. Bonifacio is not a good hitter; everyone knows that. However, when he gets on base in games, the Marlins lineup seems to do well, overall.

 

The few winning streaks we've had the past couple of years seem to come when Bonifacio is playing well. For example, when the team started the season 11-1 in '09, and Bonifacio had a lot to do with that.

 

I'd hate to see him in the starting lineup, but I can definitely see what Edwin's trying to say when he says that Bonifacio brings energy to the lineup, etc.

 

He's not productive, but he defines the type of player that managers seem to love. Versatile, very good baserunner on the bases because of his speed, etc. He can make things happen with his speed; there's no doubt about that.

 

 

Bonifacio may not have the best bat but he's great off the bench considering how versatile he is. He can play just about every position on the field. Great utility player, I'm glad we have him. And if need be, he's not a bad call on for starting because like you said, he can be streaky.

Only those people around you and others that all year long kept chanting/wanting to bring Gaby up when he wasn't ready. Or those that were still upset that Dallas didn't pan out.

 

Still, blaming an entire season on one player is childish. Rarely can ONE game be blamed on one player, much less an entire season.

 

Want someone to blame? Try the FO. They are the ones that forced a guy that really never played the position and wasn't ready for ML hitting to be a starter for about half the season or so because of their planning on a 1B that wasn't ready and had no real back up plan in place. Never really playing the position AND trying to adjust to ML hitting isn't something everyone can do at the same time. Especially at an IF position.

 

I completely disagree with your assessment of the situation.

 

So, do you discount that Boni was the worst part of the team?

I'm not big on intangibles as I really believe the whole thing might just be a coincidence. Bonifacio is not a good hitter; everyone knows that. However, when he gets on base in games, the Marlins lineup seems to do well, overall.

 

The few winning streaks we've had the past couple of years seem to come when Bonifacio is playing well. For example, when the team started the season 11-1 in '09, and Bonifacio had a lot to do with that.

 

I'd hate to see him in the starting lineup, but I can definitely see what Edwin's trying to say when he says that Bonifacio brings energy to the lineup, etc.

 

He's not productive, but he defines the type of player that managers seem to love. Versatile, very good baserunner on the bases because of his speed, etc. He can make things happen with his speed; there's no doubt about that.

 

 

Bonifacio may not have the best bat but he's great off the bench considering how versatile he is. He can play just about every position on the field. Great utility player, I'm glad we have him. And if need be, he's not a bad call on for starting because like you said, he can be streaky.

He's useful.

I'm not big on intangibles as I really believe the whole thing might just be a coincidence. Bonifacio is not a good hitter; everyone knows that. However, when he gets on base in games, the Marlins lineup seems to do well, overall.

 

The few winning streaks we've had the past couple of years seem to come when Bonifacio is playing well. For example, when the team started the season 11-1 in '09, and Bonifacio had a lot to do with that.

 

I'd hate to see him in the starting lineup, but I can definitely see what Edwin's trying to say when he says that Bonifacio brings energy to the lineup, etc.

 

He's not productive, but he defines the type of player that managers seem to love. Versatile, very good baserunner on the bases because of his speed, etc. He can make things happen with his speed; there's no doubt about that.

 

 

Bonifacio may not have the best bat but he's great off the bench considering how versatile he is. He can play just about every position on the field. Great utility player, I'm glad we have him. And if need be, he's not a bad call on for starting because like you said, he can be streaky.

He's useful.

 

sure hes useful....when he gets on base as well all know. but i really think ozzie martinez is not getting much respect from the organization to immeidately defer to bonifacio if dominguez doesnt make the team.

Martinez is clearly a better infielder than Bonifacio and a better hitter.

 

Based on one season in the minors. There's actually more evidence against him than for him considering he sucked every year prior to last. I'm not saying he isn't better than Bonifacio but to say he is clearly better is wrong.

I'm really afraid that having a dead bat in the lineup for several months like we did back in 2009 with Bonifacio is going to cost us another chance at the playoffs. Remember, we narrowly missed them in 2009 with him, and I just have a feeling that if we had even a replacement level player at that position instead of him, we make the playoffs.

 

 

I hate Bonofacio but he was only 3 runs below replacement.

 

I don't hate any guy on the team. But let's not forget he was forced into playing 3B because he was the only real option we had after the team put all their eggs in one basket thinking Gaby would be ready to go at 1B. Boni really wasn't ready for ML pitching, even if he did have a great ST. And a real nice first week of the regular season where almost everyone that now spills the hate was in love with the guy.

 

The thing is he didn't even really have that good of a spring. A .279/.326/.395 line is hardly "great". In fact Maybin, who was our projected leadoff hitter heading into that season, had a better spring. Yet Bonifacio was put ahead of him on opening day for some unknown reason. I guess what annoys me the most about Bonifacio is the blatant/stupid favoritism the FO has showed for him from the day they acquired him.

 

And after all, using ST to determine readiness is rather dumb. Gaby Sanchez was absolutely a viable option instead of allowing Bonifacio's horrid production to drag out for 500 PA. Minor league track records tend to reveal more than an isolated spring training.

 

And quit trying to make it seem like you're exposing some double standard. Sure there were probably some stupid people who were convinced after that first week, but they don't speak for the majority. I was hardly on the boner bandwagon that week and anyone aware of his history in the minors had plenty of reason to doubt him sustaining anything close to that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.