6/26 Post game

This team is what it is: Players with less than 2 years mlb experience (Stanton, Gaby, LoMo, Coghlan), Players expected to repeat fluke seasons (Infante, Buck), Regressing Manny Ramirez wannabe (Hanley), & Bench Players getting more starts than they should (Boner, Dobbs, and Helms to a lesser extent)....

We are seeing the results of the Marlins bringing up players much faster than other teams would have brought them up, obtaining players that do not have proven track records, a superstar who started phoning it in after he got his payday, and giving players more ABs that should be used in limited capacity

I was going to post something to this effect, though I don't agree with the Hanley part totally, but anyway...

Apart from Hanley obviously, this team is built around Morrison, Stanton, and Gaby already needing to carry a large share of the offense. Of those 3 only Gaby has played even 1 full season. So counting on Stanton and Logan to produce at a high level at this point.... perhaps we shouldn't be so stunned. We also need someone getting on base for the top 4 and that's why Cog's struggles are particularly painful.

Your point on Infante and Buck is true, but I think with a steady top 4 we can deal with a mediocre Omar & Buck. Yes Buck is painful to watch, but aside from a partial season of Baker we've watched poor hitting catchers for years. Olivo, Treanor, LoDuca, Paulino, Redmond, the OPS numbers are basically the same.

I think Hanley will pull it together. He hasn't been through something like this before obviously so he's got a bit of searching to do, we might be seeing the signs of him coming out of it...too early to tell.

At the end of the year if things don't improve I'll chalk it up to the young guys just needing at-bats to get to the level they need to be at. Gaby looks like he's adjusted already.

This team is what it is: Players with less than 2 years mlb experience (Stanton, Gaby, LoMo, Coghlan), Players expected to repeat fluke seasons (Infante, Buck), Regressing Manny Ramirez wannabe (Hanley), & Bench Players getting more starts than they should (Boner, Dobbs, and Helms to a lesser extent)....

We are seeing the results of the Marlins bringing up players much faster than other teams would have brought them up, obtaining players that do not have proven track records, a superstar who started phoning it in after he got his payday, and giving players more ABs that should be used in limited capacity

I was going to post something to this effect, though I don't agree with the Hanley part totally, but anyway...

Apart from Hanley obviously, this team is built around Morrison, Stanton, and Gaby already needing to carry a large share of the offense. Of those 3 only Gaby has played even 1 full season. So counting on Stanton and Logan to produce at a high level at this point.... perhaps we shouldn't be so stunned. We also need someone getting on base for the top 4 and that's why Cog's struggles are particularly painful.

Your point on Infante and Buck is true, but I think with a steady top 4 we can deal with a mediocre Omar & Buck. Yes Buck is painful to watch, but aside from a partial season of Baker we've watched poor hitting catchers for years. Olivo, Treanor, LoDuca, Paulino, Redmond, the OPS numbers are basically the same.

I think Hanley will pull it together. He hasn't been through something like this before obviously so he's got a bit of searching to do, we might be seeing the signs of him coming out of it...too early to tell.

At the end of the year if things don't improve I'll chalk it up to the young guys just needing at-bats to get to the level they need to be at. Gaby looks like he's adjusted already.

I've never been a big Hanley fan. Even when he put up big numbers, he's not as clutch as I would like...I call it the Albert Belle syndrome - most of his stats came when it didn't really matter (Belle was known for padding his stats in blowouts and never really getting the key hit with the game on the line)

With Omar, I mentioned a while back that the Braves always won divisions with guys like Lemke and Blauser in their line-ups because the rest of the team could hit...We could live with Omar and his awesome defense if the rest of the line-up was better

I've never been a big Hanley fan. Even when he put up big numbers, he's not as clutch as I would like...I call it the Albert Belle syndrome - most of his stats came when it didn't really matter (Belle was known for padding his stats in blowouts and never really getting the key hit with the game on the line)

With Omar, I mentioned a while back that the Braves always won divisions with guys like Lemke and Blauser in their line-ups because the rest of the team could hit...We could live with Omar and his awesome defense if the rest of the line-up was better

I think the biggest problem is that we traded a legitimate hitting second basemen (and don't tell me his poor numbers with his new team, I don't care) for what amounts to spare parts. Once again, we took a major part of this team and were able to do nothing with it but trade it away for things that weren't going to be able to provide a similar impact.

I think the biggest problem is that we traded a legitimate hitting second basemen (and don't tell me his poor numbers with his new team, I don't care) for what amounts to spare parts. Once again, we took a major part of this team and were able to do nothing with it but trade it away for things that weren't going to be able to provide a similar impact.

Don't worry, I won't mention Uggla's numbers...but even with his struggles, it's still good production from the 2b position...we traded power for defense and expected "The kids" to pick up the power slack...that was a mistake and not fair to the youngsters to have to carry the load when they aren't ready yet / still trying to be a finished product

I was ambivalent to many of Beinfest's offseason moves (I was wary of the Vazquez signing and Nolasco extension and flat out did not like the Buck signing), but there really isn't much more he could have gotten in return for Uggla. He needed to find a team serious about extending his contract.

However, I would perhaps agree that he might have misinterpreted Infante's 2010 performance when making that trade.

The Marlins won that trade, though. Uggla will start hitting soon, but it won't be pretty in the latter years of that contract when his bat slows down. All they will be left with is his bad defense.

It's a head scratcher as to how people keep forgetting that Uggla didn't want to be here and we went out and got the best deal we could for him. This isn't about either the Marlins or the Braves winning or losing in that trade. It's about Uggla getting what he wanted. More $$$ and more years than he was worth. IOW, his big payday.

It doesn't matter if you don't care. Uggla is performing poorly, and thus far it looks as if we won the trade. Not only do the Braves have a horrible player, they have a horrible player signed to a long term contract.

I don't think the Uggla trade has been "won."

We've basically gotten very little from that deal, both from the players acquired in the deal/the players acquired with the extra money.

I don't think we got very little. I still believe Mike Dunn can be an above average reliever.