The killing of Trayvon Martin

Well, sure.

However what JimmyJack said does not necessarily mean he thinks Zimmerman is guilty.

Knowing what we know about JJ, it is probably a fair assumption.

However I think "About damn time" is a perfectly reasonable reaction to this news regardless of how you feel about his guilt.

I don't know he is guilty of murder, but he definitely crossed the line of what was the appropriate action. Zimmerman was right to call the cops and wrong to not listen to them and because of that, a young man is dead

Yeah, I know the difference between charges and a verdict. Based on JJ's posts, there is no question in his mind, he's guilty of murder 1.

Um no, murder 1 is premeditated...I don't think Zimmerman had any intention of going out that night, planning to cap a black teenager...but he was looking for trouble when he ignored the 911 operator

If anything I think the court should set an example though because the last thing an overly violent, racially divided country needs is more gun totting vigilantes who think they are threatened every time they see someone who appears to be shady

I blame this entire case on the media. They've made a child who has been suspended from school 5+ times for bringing weed to school and spraypainting goverment structures out to be made to look like an angel by only mentioning those things as afterthoughts. All they show of the kid is a picture of him when he was 12 years old. They don't even show a recent photo. It's pretty pathetic.

Oh, he used marijuana and spraypainted something!

Well then it's definitely not a tragedy that he was shot and killed!

Missing overall points is cool.

My point was that this kid probably wasn't an innocent child or an upstanding member of society by any means like they make him out to be. On the rare occasion they show a picture of him, it's the same one they have been showing since this started: a picture of him at 12 years old. He was 17. Why? He probably looked like a thug.

Doesn't make it okay that he's dead. Just means that he wasn't as saint like as they are making him appear.

I blame this entire case on the media. They've made a child who has been suspended from school 5+ times for bringing weed to school and spraypainting goverment structures out to be made to look like an angel by only mentioning those things as afterthoughts. All they show of the kid is a picture of him when he was 12 years old. They don't even show a recent photo. It's pretty pathetic.

Oh, he used marijuana and spraypainted something!

Well then it's definitely not a tragedy that he was shot and killed!

And assaulted a school bus driver, and had stolen merchandise and a "burglary tool." None of this means he should have been shot and killed, but the point about pretending he was some helpless young innocent is valid.

They must have something we have no idea about, because murder cannot stick with the evidence we know of. Negligent Homicide seemed a bit more doable.

And assaulted a school bus driver, and had stolen merchandise and a "burglary tool." None of this means he should have been shot and killed, but the point about pretending he was some helpless young innocent is valid.

It is valid, but it doesn't mean anything. It's completely irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant?

The media is making the kid out to be completely innocent in this case. Judging by the recent track record he has, it's safe to assume he probably wasn't. But as long as the media isn't telling people that and only showing us a picture of him at 12, I guess he is.

If I had to paint a picture of how I picture the scene going down, it's this: Zimmerman witnessing a kid dressed like a thug walking around in the dark, proceeding to question him, Martin getting pissed that he was being bothered, mouthing off to Zimmerman, a physical struggle of some kind, and a shot in the middle of the struggle. From what we've seen and heard, the evidence to back that up is there. The questions will be who started the physical altercation. If they can't prove that Zimmerman did (and I don't think they will be able to), he will walk.

How is it irrelevant?

Because Zimmerman didn't know that stuff. So it doesn't mean anything concerning his intent.

How is it irrelevant?

Because Zimmerman didn't know that stuff. So it doesn't mean anything concerning his intent.

Sure it does. What if Zimmerman, doing his job, stopped to question a mysterious looking individual, which seems a lot more likely than just some kid walking to get candy and a soda or whatever they said, was resisted by Martin because he was actually up to no good, a struggle insued, and what happened happened?

As far as the media is letting out, that was in no way shape or form the case because Martin was completely innocent and got shot. The actual situation is that, actually knowing his recent background, that might not be that far from the truth.

How is it irrelevant?

Sure it does. What if Zimmerman, doing his job, stopped to question a mysterious looking individual, which seems a lot more likely than just some kid walking to get candy and a soda or whatever they said, was resisted by Martin because he was actually up to no good, a struggle insued, and what happened happened?

As far as the media is letting out, that was in no way shape or form the case because Martin was completely innocent and got shot. The actual situation is that, actually knowing his recent background, that might not be that far from the truth.

No, it doesn't mean anything concerning Zimmerman's intent. I get that you're pissed at how the media is covering it. But his past actions have no legal significance, unless they were somehow known or plainly apparent to Zimmerman. You're wrong here.

No, it doesn't mean anything concerning Zimmerman's intent. I get that you're pissed at how the media is covering it. But his past actions have no legal significance, unless they were somehow known or plainly apparent to Zimmerman. You're wrong here.

What if his only intent was to do his job and protect the area he was in?

I guess I just don't get what you mean. Unless you're saying that he was a raging racist and shot him for no reason but I don't think anyone thinks that's how simple this case is.

What if his only intent was to do his job and protect the area he was in?

I guess I just don't get what you mean. Unless you're saying that he was a raging racist and shot him for no reason but I don't think anyone thinks that's how simple this case is.

That could be his intent; but Martin's past means nothing to that, since Zimmerman presumably couldn't know that past; he had no reason other than Martin's immediate actions/the surrounding circumstances that night to consider him more dangerous, regardless of what Martin may have in fact done in the past.

That could be his intent; but Martin's past means nothing to that, since Zimmerman presumably couldn't know that past; he had no reason other than Martin's immediate actions/the surrounding circumstances that night to consider him more dangerous, regardless of what Martin may have in fact done in the past.

Fair enough. All I was saying was that given his past, it's not hard to assume he was up to no good. A lot easier to assume that than to think he was completely innocent like he's being made out to be.

His past is only relevant to the (media) narrative; that's why I didn't directly refer to your posts that were talking about that. But, even so, you said "I blame this entire case on the media." I mean, I blame this entire case on the fact that someone was shot and killed. That Zimmerman should be put on trial is just; that be should be made an example (as JimmyJack suggested) is not.

But the entire case came about because there was a shooting and a death, not unbalanced media coverage; and, even if the unbalanced media coverage directly led to a trial, then I'm good with that. When you sign up for community watch, take a gun, and use it (let alone on someone who, from what we've heard, wasn't armed), and then someone ends up dead, you take a chance that you're going to end up on trial.

His past is only relevant to the (media) narrative; that's why I didn't directly refer to your posts that were talking about that. But, even so, you said "I blame this entire case on the media." I mean, I blame this entire case on the fact that someone was shot and killed. That Zimmerman should be put on trial is just; that be should be made an example (as JimmyJack suggested) is not.

But the entire case came about because there was a shooting and a death, not unbalanced media coverage; and, even if the unbalanced media coverage directly led to a trial, then I'm good with that. When you sign up for community watch, take a gun, and use it (let alone on someone who, from what we've heard, wasn't armed), and then someone ends up dead, you take a chance that you're going to end up on trial.

When I said made example of, I more meant that I believe the court can handle things as to not provoke an already heated situation and not that the case was already decided as well as punishment. I think letting cameras in the courthouse would be a bad idea here. And the more and more attention this gets, the more emotions will get stirred and I think the court can help calm things to a certain extent. And I agree with the second part of what you said 100%

Zimmerman's intent should be shaped by the interaction with Martin. Martin's actions that night are directly relevant, and his past history can be applied to give credence to claims of violent action.

Zimmerman's intent should be shaped by the interaction with Martin. Martin's actions that night are directly relevant, and his past history can be applied to give credence to claims of violent action.

I haven't taken evidence yet, so I'm not sure of the admissibility of the victim's prior criminal history. But apparently these are school suspensions, so those are probably even weaker. Also, marijuana possession and spraypainting gov't structures does not bespeak violent tendencies. It's not like he got suspended for fist fights.

I haven't taken evidence yet, so I'm not sure of the admissibility of the victim's prior criminal history. But apparently these are school suspensions, so those are probably even weaker. Also, marijuana possession and spraypainting gov't structures does not bespeak violent tendencies. It's not like he got suspended for fist fights.

No. He got suspended for a lack of concern or respect for authority. Government and federal authority. Do you think he's going to want to be questioned by a neighborhood watch and like it?

And as has been noted, he assaulted a school bus driver so there's your violent act.

And as has been noted, he assaulted a school bus driver so there's your violent act.

Proof?

If the media actually did it's job and investigated stuff like this rather than just deciding he was innocent, there would be more solid proof.

Oh fudging el oh el, dude.

You've had no problem deciding that he definitely is not innocent without much support, obviously.

Did he assault a bus driver or not?

Because I know what you're referring to, which was a tweet that his brother sent him asking whether he hit a bus driver. "THE BIG BAD, EVIL MEDIA" has already determined that he was suspended for the marijuana possession bit. Which is very much different than assault.

I say if you're going to attack the character of a dead kid, the burden of proof needs to be on you to prove he was as bad a person as you want to think he is. So far, you've brought very little relevant proof to the table.

Sucks because Zimmerman isn't going to get a fair trail.

This flies in the face of most things I've read. In fact, most people think there's an incredibly good chance that he gets off, and that the prosecution was too aggressive in pursuing a 2nd-degree charge.

Of course, whether he gets off or is convicted, people are going to decide whether he got a fair trial or not well before it even begins.