Votto nearing massive extension

Marlins

Just 4 deals have surpassed $200MM in MLB history...This could be #5.

According to Tim Dierkes and Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors, the Reds are nearing an extension with Joey Votto that "could surpass $200 million."

It's absolutely gigantic news, and quite surprising given the Reds' relatively small payroll. Votto, 28, boasts a stellar .313/.405/.550 career batting line and finished the 2011 season with 29 home runs and 103 RBI. He was named the NL MVP in 2010 after hitting .324/.424/.600 with 37 homers and 113 RBI in 150 games. The first baseman is currently signed through 2013.

It absolutely affects the market rate for long term contracts of power hitters.

I think he means that pursuing Cespedes and a potential Stanton extension have no relation. Pretty sure that even if Cespedes would've signed, they still would've wanted to give Stanton an extension at some point.

1: I was saying Cespedes has nothing to do with Stanton.

2: That being said; yes, this does effect the market price for some long term contracts.

But you also have to compare service time. Stanton is making the minimum for the next two years and is then in arbitration for three more. Stanton is a full three years away from Votto's current service time.

Then there is the fact that this contract doesn't actually take effect until '13, which means this contract wouldn't even be a discussion for Stanton as a comp for five years.

This has zero effect on the price of Stanton right now. It would only have an impact if we are dumb and don't buy him out in the next few years. I think we will within the next year.

It absolutely affects the market rate for long term contracts of power hitters.

I think he means that pursuing Cespedes and a potential Stanton extension have no relation. Pretty sure that even if Cespedes would've signed, they still would've wanted to give Stanton an extension at some point.

Oh, I see. He didn't make that clear.

Obviously, nobody really knows what the Marlins' long term strategy is, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that a Cespedes contract at least had some influence on the Marlins' ability to negotiate a contract extension with Stanton.

That much money on the books affects everything to some degree.

1: I was saying Cespedes has nothing to do with Stanton.

2: That being said; yes, this does effect the market price for some long term contracts.

But you also have to compare service time. Stanton is making the minimum for the next two years and is then in arbitration for three more. Stanton is a full three years away from Votto's current service time.

Then there is the fact that this contract doesn't actually take effect until '13, which means this contract wouldn't even be a discussion for Stanton as a comp for five years.

This has zero effect on the price of Stanton right now. It would only have an impact if we are dumb and don't buy him out in the next few years. I think we will within the next year.

The incentive for the Marlins to buy out Stanton as soon as possible (latest should be next offseason) isn't just to avoid arbitration, but to also hedge against contract inflation. Outrageous deals like this are just driving up the price. The Stanton/Votto timeframes don't even have to be directly related because there is a ripple effect.

Yes, certainly it's a combination of factors, but contract inflation (and I don't just mean currency inflation) isn't insignificant.

The biggest factor to me is Stanton having another year to establish himself, but the other stuff matters too.

Wow, how the market is changing...

Only Pujols & A-Rod have received bigger contracts in MLB history.

On top of the $225MM Votto will make $26.5MM through 2013.

I know Votto is on his way to becoming a HOF'er but I really don't think he'll be able to hold this level of value all the way until he's 39. He's awesome but the Reds overpaid IMO.

Wow, how the market is changing...

Only Pujols & A-Rod have received bigger contracts in MLB history.

On top of the $225MM Votto will make $26.5MM through 2013.

I know Votto is on his way to becoming a HOF'er but I really don't think he'll be able to hold this level of value all the way until he's 39. He's awesome but the Reds overpaid IMO.

Bit early in his career to be saying that!