Brian Wilson out for season

Marlins

What happens when you talk too much & you think your $h!t don't stink...

The first shocker of the year: Brian Wilson has an elbow problem and it’s not good. An MRI revealed that Wilson has `structural issues’ — that’s the way they’re terming it for now, holding out hope against hope — and both manager Bruce Bochy and trainer Dave Groeschner said season-ending surgery is likely.

Bochy, still shell-shocked by the news, said it’ll be closer by committee for now. Feels worse for the pitcher than the team at the moment, which is understandable. Wilson was not immediately available. He has had Tommy John surgery before, so this is not a new process for him. The doctors will get second opinions on the MRI, including from noted elbow surgeon Dr. James Andrews, but the long faces said everything.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2012/04/14/breaking-news-wilson-has-structural-issues-surgery-will-likely-put-him-out-for-the-year/

Just a general MLB fantasy tip: Unless your league plays with an unusual mix of stat categories that make RP's especially valuable-Never trade for or draft a top closer. A save is a save whether it comes from Mariano or someone like Leo Nunez. Also, there are always a bunch of opportunities during the season to pickup a closer from FA. Most important thing to focus on is hitting-especially try to get a top hitter from the positions in which elite talent is scarce (e.g. 2B). Could go into in depth explanation of all this but I think you guys know what you're doing. I quit playing a few years ago cause it was too time consuming. Came out on top a few hundred dollars-but still wasn't worth the time. Hope you guys don't spend too much time destroying all your opponents as I did. ;)

Understanding that closers aren't extremely valuable doesn't mean you shouldn't grab a Brian Wilson at some point in the middle rounds. Saves is still a category, and the winner still gets a point, plus Ks, ERA, and WHIP count, too.

Brian Wilson regressed a lot last year and was pretty mediocre with all of those. Had he not been famous for his past success and beard, Wilson would've been a waiver guy this year.

In terms of WHIP, it's always been pretty high because his control has never been all that good (it was flat out terrible last year).

He was a 1.2 WHIP guy in his best days and he's clearly way past his best days.

Understanding that closers aren't extremely valuable doesn't mean you shouldn't grab a Brian Wilson at some point in the middle rounds. Saves is still a category, and the winner still gets a point, plus Ks, ERA, and WHIP count, too.

Funny-had a feeling someone would bring up that point. My response is simple: Closers barely pitch & therefore have little effect on your overall team ERA/WHIP (and that little effect isn't worth a good draft pick). Similarly, being that they don't pitch many innings, the extra K's you get from having a good closer vs. a bad one is very minute (and again, not worth a high draft pick).

Casilla will probably fill in for Wilson...

John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that Santiago Casilla will see the majority of save chances while Brian Wilson (elbow) is sidelined.

Giants skipper Bruce Bochy told reporters that he will employ a committee in the ninth inning, but Casilla seems like the guy to grab for now. Sergio Romo, Javier Lopez and Jeremy Affeldt are also possibilities to fill the role. An MRI taken Friday revealed structural damage in Wilson's throwing elbow that may require Tommy John reconstructive surgery.

In the words of Grey Albright, SAGNOF!

I agree with Marlins on this one, I wouldn't waste a pick or trade for a top of the line closer when there are plenty you can get in mid to late rounds that will do perfectly fine. Also consider the fact that closers often get hurt and/or lose their jobs more frequently than just about any other position. This season we've already seen Madson, Wilson, Bailey, Storen, Soria go down because of injury with a few others who are teetering on being replaced . Drafting decent closers and being quick on the waiver wire will leave you perfectly fine in the categories that relievers play a role in and will leave you flexible to trade some to people who do value closers too much.

I agree with Marlins on this one, I wouldn't waste a pick or trade for a top of the line closer when there are plenty you can get in mid to late rounds that will do perfectly fine. Also consider the fact that closers often get hurt and/or lose their jobs more frequently than just about any other position. This season we've already seen Madson, Wilson, Bailey, Storen, Soria go down because of injury with a few others who are teetering on being replaced . Drafting decent closers and being quick on the waiver wire will leave you perfectly fine in the categories that relievers play a role in and will leave you flexible to trade some to people who do value closers too much.

No one is advocating taking one in the 4th round of a 10-team league. You're all setting up a straw man.

No one is advocating taking one in the 4th round of a 10-team league. You're all setting up a straw man.

Or perhaps I didn't know you played in such a shallow league because the ADP for guys like Kimbrel, Axford, Papelbon has been in the 5-8th round for Yahoo.

And now it's pretty official...

CSNBayArea.com's Andrew Baggarly reports that Brian Wilson will undergo season-ending surgery to repair structural damage in his right elbow.

Wilson will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews on Sunday, but he anticipates having a second career Tommy John surgery and missing the rest of 2012. Giants manager Bruce Bochy indicated he would go with a closer-by-committee in the interim, but Santiago Casilla is probably the guy to own in fantasy leagues. Wilson is set to enter his final year of arbitration this offseason before hitting free agency heading into 2014.

Or perhaps I didn't know you played in such a shallow league because the ADP for guys like Kimbrel, Axford, Papelbon has been in the 5-8th round for Yahoo.

No need to get so defensive. But I used the term "middle rounds," regardless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.