5/18 Post Game

gizmo

Always good to see a come from behind victory, especially against what appears to be a pretty solid Indians team. Good to see Bell get the save although it scares me that Ozzie may feel even more inclined to use him in high leverage situations. Still think our offense is under-performing overall. I'd like to see them pick it up.

Always good to see a come from behind victory, especially against what appears to be a pretty solid Indians team. Good to see Bell get the save although it scares me that Ozzie may feel even more inclined to use him in high leverage situations. Still think our offense is under-performing overall. I'd like to see them pick it up.

Unfortunately, this will absolutely be the case.

Two outings without a blow up does not excuse the horrible decision to use him in those situations. Also, I'm not convinced the decision is even partially Ozzie's. It reeks of our front office. He' still a bonehead though.

I wonder if Ozzie even has control over the lineup. It could be a coincidence, but going back to last year we've been randomly putting the spot starter in the clean up spot. Seems unlikely that Ozzie would have the same idea.

Two outings without a blow up does not excuse the horrible decision to use him in those situations. Also, I'm not convinced the decision is even partially Ozzie's. It reeks of our front office. He' still a bonehead though.

I wonder if Ozzie even has control over the lineup. It could be a coincidence, but going back to last year we've been randomly putting the spot starter in the clean up spot. Seems unlikely that Ozzie would have the same idea.

The lineups are definitely his. He wouldn't be managing if the FO was interfering that much and there's no financial reason for the FO to want Austin Kearns hitting 4th, anyway.

The Bell thing, on the other hand, might be different. Although, Ozzie did stick with Bobby Jenks one year when he was pretty bad, as well (before his injury/departure to the Red Sox).

I don't think the FO has too much input in the managerial decisions. They're paying Ozzie enough money to make those decisions and he has too big of an ego to not be making the decisions, himself. Based on interviews and the couple of times I've met him, he's not a puppet manager and would probably quit if the FO decided to question his everyday decision making.

The lineups are definitely his. He wouldn't be managing if the FO was interfering that much and there's no financial reason for the FO to want Austin Kearns hitting 4th, anyway.

The Bell thing, on the other hand, might be different. Although, Ozzie did stick with Bobby Jenks one year when he was pretty bad, as well (before his injury/departure to the Red Sox).

I don't think the FO has too much input in the managerial decisions. They're paying Ozzie enough money to make those decisions and he has too big of an ego to not be making the decisions, himself. Based on interviews and the couple of times I've met him, he's not a puppet manager and would probably quit if the FO decided to question his everyday decision making.

10 millions dollars will do a lot to appease an ego. I think it's pretty evident the FO brought him here because of what he represents, not for his managing prowess. I'm not suggesting they micro-manage him to the degree of in-game decisions (other than Bell), but how else do you explain the spot starter hitting 4th so often? That started last year. I suppose its possible they suggested it to him and he obliged.

This is certainly speculation. But I don't think meeting him a few times or interviews can determine what his threshold for being controlled might be. The FO could well be behind Bell, and yet Ozzie hasn't quit. I don't think they (the FO) care too much about the every day stuff, but if they want something done, Ozzie isn't going to get in their way.

In my last post, I probably should have said "total control over the lineup" instead of just "control".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.