6/03 Post Game

gizmo

Marlins take the series against the Phiilies thanks to a strong game at the mound and plate from Big Z!

W: Zambrano (4-3)

L: Blanton (4-6)

S: Bell (12)

2B: Reyes (12)

HR: Zambrano (1); Ramirez (11)

Day off tomorrow and then a big series at home against the Braves! I'll be there Tuesday with some Braves fans, lol.

Braves beat the Nats, so we are now tied for 1st!

Well, if you want to split hairs, the Marlins are still 0.03 out of first place in the "percentage wins" column -- having played two more games than the Nationals. None of the Standings will list them in first place tonight.

Nice win though -- could have so easily have been a sweep too, which bodes well going forward.

It's times like these when I wish TBS was nothing still, and just have Braves games and re-runs. Noooo...CONAN, Tyler Perry, other comedies, and sh*t on now...and then golden shows like Big Bang and Cougar Town.

Oh, we have back to back Sat games on FOX at night against the Rays this month...I dunno how.

Zambrano for Volstad. Best trade ever?

Only in hindsight -- it was quite a gamble, albeit a low risk one given the Cubs are paying most of his salary. The Marlins were willing to take a chance, but had no idea if Zambrano would turn it around this quickly and this well.

I've seen a lot of Cubs fan bitterness about the "Zambrano for Volstad" thing, but that's not really what happened. The Cubs just wanted to get the problematic Zambrano out of there, and decided, for whatever reason, that they would try to make a project of Volstad in return -- they weren't really look at it as an equal value trade -- Volstad was just a freebie the Marlins tossed in there.

BTW: Here's a nice column on what Volstad is up to these days:

http://cubbiescrib.c...-not-mlb-ready/

Same old, it seems.

Zambrano for Volstad. Best trade ever?

Only in hindsight -- it was quite a gamble, albeit a low risk one given the Cubs are paying most of his salary. The Marlins were willing to take a chance, but had no idea if Zambrano would turn it around this quickly and this well.

I've seen a lot of Cubs fan bitterness about the "Zambrano for Volstad" thing, but that's not really what happened. The Cubs just wanted to get the problematic Zambrano out of there, and decided, for whatever reason, that they would try to make a project of Volstad in return -- they weren't really look at it as an equal value trade -- Volstad was just a freebie the Marlins tossed in there.

BTW: Here's a nice column on what Volstad is up to these days:

http://cubbiescrib.c...-not-mlb-ready/

Same old, it seems.

How was it a gamble? There was no sign of Volstad improving, Big Z's worst season ever was basically as good as Volstad had ever been from his first full season, and Z was only one year removed from a 3.33 ERA. Not mentioning the salary thing.

That was about as low risk-high reward as I've ever seen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.