Protesting Fans Ejected

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22032264/marlins-fans-with-protesting-signs-shirts-ejected-from-stadium

Apparently the Marlins ejected a couple of fans from the home opener who were holding signs and wearing shirts saying Free the Marlins and that the Marlins have been "Helping other teams get better since 1998." The Marlins/Samson are saying the fans were causing a disturbance and didn't show ID when requested, but that they weren't ejected because of their signs and shirts. Meanwhile the fans say they were calm and orderly, never created a disturbance, and weren't asked for ID until they were already out of the ballpark. The fans also claim that police officers even said something to the extent of "'they' want you out, if it was up to us you're ok because you're doing nothing wrong."

Not sure who to believe here, the fans seem civil but then again, even with all their trickery the Marlins don't usually eject fans for no reason.

Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22032264/marlins-fans-with-protesting-signs-shirts-ejected-from-stadium

Apparently the Marlins ejected a couple of fans from the home opener who were holding signs and wearing shirts saying Free the Marlins and that the Marlins have been "Helping other teams get better since 1998." The Marlins/Samson are saying the fans were causing a disturbance and didn't show ID when requested, but that they weren't ejected because of their signs and shirts. Meanwhile the fans say they were calm and orderly, never created a disturbance, and weren't asked for ID until they were already out of the ballpark. The fans also claim that police officers even said something to the extent of "'they' want you out, if it was up to us you're ok because you're doing nothing wrong."

Not sure who to believe here, the fans seem civil but then again, even with all their trickery the Marlins don't usually eject fans for no reason.

Thoughts?

When you show up at someone else's party looking to spoil it, you should expect to get tossed.

I thought the stadium was owned by the city/county? That being said, if their version of events was true and they weren't causing a disturbance other than walking around with their t-shirts and signs, the Marlins shouldn't have the right to eject them BC they don't agree with the criticism. I find it telling that according to Capozzi, they weren't ejected until they were approached and interviewed by the media.

Why go to a game to protest? Your out looking for trouble. I'm sure they did something to make other fans uncomfortable and they were removed.

I can't see anything good coming out of a situation where you go to the game just to tell others you shouldn't be there.

We aren't getting the full story.

When 14 Dominicans sitting in 8 seats aren't getting ejected while they are drunk and looking for a fight with two Americans, I can't see a few signs getting someone booted.

Not at all.

Why go to a game to protest? Your out looking for trouble. I'm sure they did something to make other fans uncomfortable and they were removed.

I can't see anything good coming out of a situation where you go to the game just to tell others you shouldn't be there.

We aren't getting the full story.

When 14 Dominicans sitting in 8 seats aren't getting ejected while they are drunk and looking for a fight with two Americans, I can't see a few signs getting someone booted.

Not at all.

Which is why I said if the fan's version of events was true; I wasn't there, so I only have the videos, photos and articles on this incident to go by. I've seen pictures of people w/ similar signs that presumably were not ejected, so I don't know.

I also agree, it's counterproductive to buy tickets to protest ownership. This would have been more productive had they been walking the courtyard before the game and denied the team the profit they received from their attendance.

I thought the stadium was owned by the city/county?

The stadium is 100% owned by M-D county.

However, the Marlins are the "sole and exclusive operator and manager" of it. With "sole responsibility and authority and full control and discretion in the operation, direction, management and supervision of the Stadium Premises."

http://www.miamidade.gov/internalservices/library/operating_agreement.pdf

And that's the end of any contention along the lines of "the Marlins shouldn't have the right" to do whatever because they have the absolute right to throw anyone out of the joint for any reason they deem sufficient. Hell, an UMPIRE can eject a fan, never mind Marlins management and their agents.

You want to buy a ticket to my event and then try to rain on my parade? You're going to be asked to leave and if you don't leave peacefully, you'll be forcibly ejected from the premises.

There is something off with this story. I saw plenty of people with signs, shirts, and paper bags at the game and yet the 2 people that got ejected were the 2 people with a website to promote? The story makes no sense. I think they went with the intent of getting kicked out to drum up press for their site.

There is something off with this story. I saw plenty of people with signs, shirts, and paper bags at the game and yet the 2 people that got ejected were the 2 people with a website to promote? The story makes no sense. I think they went with the intent of getting kicked out to drum up press for their site.

Seems likely considering how they were yapping to every reported they could find.

Seems likely considering how they were yapping to every reported they could find.

Right...and every reporter was looking for this exact story and don't think these guys didn't know it. In fact, Dave Hyde wrote that he was there to write about some other protesting fans that didn't show. Well these guys certainly gave him the story he wanted to write. Coincidence??

However, the Marlins are the "sole and exclusive operator and manager" of it. With "sole responsibility and authority and full control and discretion in the operation, direction, management and supervision of the Stadium Premises."

And that's the end of any contention along the lines of "the Marlins shouldn't have the right" to do whatever because they have the absolute right to throw anyone out of the joint for any reason they deem sufficient. Hell, an UMPIRE can eject a fan, never mind Marlins management and their agents.

You want to buy a ticket to my event and then try to rain on my parade? You're going to be asked to leave and if you don't leave peacefully, you'll be forcibly ejected from the premises.

Thanks for clearing up the sole management of a publicly-owned facility issue, but I have to disagree w/ you on a few points. The ticket license grants the ticket holder the right to admission provided the ticket holder follows the rules of conduct; I don't believe they have the right to remove someone from the premise for ANY reason they deem sufficient. What if a security guard wanted to remove someone behaving themselves simply because of their own prejudice?

That being said, from what I've seen and read, it doesn't appear as if these fans violated the Stadium policies as posted on the website (which ironically enough, still says Sun Life Stadium!?!).

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/mia/ballpark/policies.jsp

One could argue the "F Jeff" was profane clothing or the "Save the Marlins" sign as inflammatory (per the A to Z guide) but that's a stretch to me. Even Samson said the signs themselves were "fine."

I also have a hard time believing they were blocking other people's view of the game or created a loud disturbance. According to the group, they entered the concourse, were immediately followed by police and Marlins security, interviewed by the media and then ejected from the premises before they even got to their seats in the 2nd inning.

I know this is Miami we're talking about (thus practically another country), but removing someone from the building that's being critical of you seems fascist and contrary to American values. If the Marlins had the right to eject them because they were "raining on their parade," couldn't you argue wearing the Away Team's gear could create a disturbance under that standard? See how ridiculous that sounds?

Thanks for clearing up the sole management of a publicly-owned facility issue, but I have to disagree w/ you on a few points. The ticket license grants the ticket holder the right to admission provided the ticket holder follows the rules of conduct; I don't believe they have the right to remove someone from the premise for ANY reason they deem sufficient. What if a security guard wanted to remove someone behaving themselves simply because of their own prejudice?

That being said, from what I've seen and read, it doesn't appear as if these fans violated the Stadium policies as posted on the website (which ironically enough, still says Sun Life Stadium!?!).

One could argue the "F Jeff" was profane clothing or the "Save the Marlins" sign as inflammatory (per the A to Z guide) but that's a stretch to me. Even Samson said the signs themselves were "fine."

I also have a hard time believing they were blocking other people's view of the game or created a loud disturbance. According to the group, they entered the concourse, were immediately followed by police and Marlins security, interviewed by the media and then ejected from the premises before they even got to their seats in the 2nd inning.

I know this is Miami we're talking about (thus practically another country), but removing someone from the building that's being critical of you seems fascist and contrary to American values. If the Marlins had the right to eject them because they were "raining on their parade," couldn't you argue wearing the Away Team's gear could create a disturbance under that standard? See how ridiculous that sounds?

Well said, and I really like your analogy on wearing the away team's gear. Good point.

Well said, and I really like your analogy on wearing the away team's gear. Good point.

Why are we just assuming what these guys said happened actually happened? They did have something to gain by getting ejected...they guys have a website they are promoting. You think the Marlins wanted MORE bad press? And, they didn't kick anyone else out of the stadium (there were plenty of others with similar signs/shirts). These guys must have done or said something to get themselves removed that is being left out of the story. They wanted the publicity and they knew getting kicked out would give it to them.

Unrelated, but I was once kicked out of Shea stadium for rooting against the mets (and for the marlins). It was one of my finer moments in life.

wow, that is so not cool...but in america or not, its on private property so they can kick out who ever they want.

If the only justification is "private property" so we can kick anyone out we want, even if they did not really do anything to warrant it, then the Marlins have reached the pit of hell in public relations. I do not know the whole story, just basing my comment on this assumption that they can be kicked out for no good reason-just because Samson has a cow. I agree however, to kick out anyone wearing an opposing jersey-except as the season progresses, they may be the only ones buying tickets.

Do you have a bookmark folder with this stuff ready to go? Or do you just search the company network?

Don't need a bookmark. All of the stadium-related contracts are a permanent part of the M-D site.

Simple stuff. The Marlins run the stadium. Period. Same kinda deal as, say, a retail store. If I own it and I want you out for any reason other than your race or sex, say, for instance, my perception of your behavior (even if I'm wrong about it) -- you're out -- end of story.

As for all of the rest of the junk on this thread, I refer everyone to the stadium operating agreement. Any lawyer who wants to sue on behalf of these attention-whores will lose and they all know it.

Somebody ( I can't remember where, but I am almost 99% sure it was on this board) that Reporters were going to meet up with protestors at the game and interview them for a story they were PREPARING, not a story they were reporting.

The sole intention was to become the story at the game, and for that I hope those fans are banned for life from attending a Marlins game.

They went in looking for trouble and they found it.

Too bad this isn't Cuba (as much as everyone wants to pray it is), and Jeffrey Castro couldn't get them executed in the back for treason.

I hate shit starters at a supposedly family event like baseball is.

Yea, they were dastardly evil terrorists. I had a more annoying Braves fans behind me than anything those guys could have done. I wish they were kicked out-but no such luck. Anyway, take any hard ass attitude for something that is only slightly annoying it and it won't do anything but diminish your product even more than management has already done. I see so much garbage at sporting events by the home team fans that are deemed to be in the spirit of fandom that are so much more offensive and physically threatening to families wanting to enjoy, and nothing happens. So, this was a minor nothing and to call it more than that is BS.

I had a more annoying Braves fans behind me than anything those guys could have done. I wish they were kicked out-but no such luck.

So, you want people kicked out when they annoy you, but you otherwise don't care about, say, Loria's property rights.

:lol

Thoughts?

Who has more credibility right now ? I think most (maybe not on this board) people will believe the fans. I know I do.

Do you have a bookmark folder with this stuff ready to go? Or do you just search the company network?

I know it's really weird. Only Admin knows who he really is and I guess he won't tell anyone, but the more I read it has to be someone in the front office.

What's so hard to understand here?

The Marlins have absolute dominion over conduct at the stadium. Of course they don't toss people for wearing other teams' merchandise. But, they're perfectly well entitled to toss anyone who is doing anything that they object to.

Simple stuff. What will be interesting is what happens when a lot of fans start wearing bags on their heads, which may happen soon.