Hi, I'm Jeff Mathis.

I'm here to take starts away from other catchers who have actual upside and/or need evaluation in a meaningless season. I have been identified as a player who embodies the Marlins way. Somehow I was signed to a 2-year deal (probably because I'm gritty and hard-nosed) and I suspect I am a candidate for an extension beyond 2014 so I can continue to mentor a young catcher and be horrendously bad and blah blah blah.

.197/.254/.313

Why?

The Marlins saw the A's platoon a lot last year so they thought they'd do the same thing this year.

You know you enjoy Jeff Mathis, Nick Green, and...well, who the fuck is on the team and is right-handed?...get at-bats against left-handed pitching. The opponents are at a clear disadvantage!

I think the left handers against lefties thing is a self fulfilling prophecy, GIVE THEM AT BATS AGAINST LEFTIES! and they might not struggle against them. Granted, Seeing left handed pitching is unreliable meaning you can go weeks without seeing a lefty for whatever reason (missing them in the rotation, injury, etc.)

He's just so unbelievably terrible though. And you just know he's going to get a ton of starts because he fits this front office's retarded ideology. Plus Redmond was a backup catcher and all that shit. The Marlins are the type of team that would platoon even if a RH had a history of struggling against a particular LH (or in Mathis' case just struggling against everybody).

You could actually make the case (rather empirically) that Mathis is the worst hitter in baseball to get significant plate appearances since he entered the league. And they are paying him 3 million over two years.

Yeah, but he actually executed a sacrifice bunt, never mind that he's usually an automatic out if he's trying to do what he apparently calls "hitting."

Plus, he handles pitchers well

And, he throws out a lot of runners.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I think the left handers against lefties thing is a self fulfilling prophecy, GIVE THEM AT BATS AGAINST LEFTIES! and they might not struggle against them. Granted, Seeing left handed pitching is unreliable meaning you can go weeks without seeing a lefty for whatever reason (missing them in the rotation, injury, etc.)

Agreed. Plus, in the minors, Brantly hit reasonably well against LHP...certainly well enough to justify not being in a platoon situation with a player like Mathis. Just throw him out there and give him all the ABs he can handle.

Just remember that Jeff Mathis was the linchpin of one of the biggest blockbuster trades in recent years. That pretty much tells you that Beinfest and Anthopoulos are two of the dumbest GMs in baseball.

Actually, that's not true. Anthopolous is a very good GM. He shouldn't be mentioned with Beinfest who basically hasn't made a great move in a decade.

Just remember that Jeff Mathis was the linchpin of one of the biggest blockbuster trades in recent years. That pretty much tells you that Beinfest and Anthopoulos are two of the dumbest GMs in baseball.

Actually, that's not true. Anthopolous is a very good GM. He shouldn't be mentioned with Beinfest who basically hasn't made a great move in a decade.

I definitely wouldn't consider him a "good" GM by any means. His best move was dumping Vernon Wells but I credit Tony Reagins more for that.

What makes Anthoupolous a good GM??

What makes Anthoupolous a good GM??

Yeah, I don't get it. Why is he considered good at his job? If anything, it's likely that the Marlins trade ends up being as a bigger disaster for the Jays then it was for us having to pay for all of Loria's bad investments.

Besides the Marlins trade, he traded Halladay for what turned out to be basically Kyle Drabek. He traded Aaron Hill for Kelly Johnson. He traded one of his best prospects for an aging knuckleballer. Sorry, I don't see how he's considered a good GM.

Acquired Brandon Morrow for Brandon League.

Acquired Colby Rasmus for a pile of s***.

Jose Bautista has one of the best contracts in baseball. Edwin Encarnacion is not far behind. That's two legit power hitters at a nice price.

When he took over, the team was a mess. You can't turn chicken s*** into chicken salad over night. It's not his fault that J.P. Ricciardi was a moron. They had the 28th ranked farm system when he took over. He turned it into a top-5 farm system that allowed him to get the talent he got this offseason via trades.

I feel like he's done a good job of acquiring high-upside players for players with no upside. Some of his moves haven't turned out as well as expected, but that's the way it is. If you look at the process of his moves, they mostly make sense.

In comparison, Admin Beinfest hasn't won a trade since...well, I don't know. He definitely made one that has turned out to be, quite possibly, the worst trade in the history of sports, though.

Jose Bautista has one of the best contracts in baseball. Edwin Encarnacion is not far behind. That's two legit power hitters at a nice price.

When he took over, the team was a mess. You can't turn chicken s*** into chicken salad over night. It's not his fault that J.P. Ricciardi was a moron. They had the 28th ranked farm system when he took over. He turned it into a top-5 farm system that allowed him to get the talent he got this offseason via trades.

I feel like he's done a good job of acquiring high-upside players for players with no upside. Some of his moves haven't turned out as well as expected, but that's the way it is. If you look at the process of his moves, they mostly make sense.

In comparison, Admin Beinfest hasn't won a trade since...well, I don't know. He definitely made one that has turned out to be, quite possibly, the worst trade in the history of sports, though.

I'm not saying his track record isn't better than Beinfest's, but that isn't exactly a high standard.

I'm not saying his track record isn't better than Beinfest's, but that isn't exactly a high standard.

I think he's a top-10 GM.