Yefri Perez

Hammerhead

Ok, so all this kid needs to do is put the ball in play and make a defender make a somewhat difficult play to get on base. From there, he will work his magic. The biggest knock on his game was Ks which he put in check to the tune of a 66/39 K/BB last year (most times he's ever walked) and 11/7 in the AFL while hitting .340 this winter.

He'll very likely be a part of the bench next year. He plays six positions. Question is... if Hech and Ozuna are both gone, with a good spring, could he challenge for a starting job?

He plays a very good CF and a very decent 2B and SS. Looking at OBP numbers, I say there is at least a slight chance he is in the Opening Day lineup next year.

But that's just me.

He's never put up an .OPS over. 700 in the minors. He'll never be a starter barring an unforeseen breakthrough. 

He literally has less power than any Marlins outfielder that has ever played in the majors, and that includes Brett Carroll. Heavy no on him.

He's never put up an .OPS over. 700 in the minors. He'll never be a starter barring an unforeseen breakthrough. 

He'll never hit for power. Look at the OBP figures though. He posted a .334 in 84 games at the highest level he's played at last season and he's kicking ass to start his AFL season. Again, all he needs to do is get on base to make a difference. I'm not saying he deserves to start right now but depeneding on what we do this offseason, he could. He plays six spots. And most of them very well.

I'm a big advocate for OBP. But the power numbers are ridiculously low, and the OBP isn't nearly high enough to make up for that. His OBP numbers aren't even good (he peaks around .334, which isn't good). 

He's roster filler. Again, barring a breakthrough he should be seen as nothing more. We should expect Perez to begin next season at AAA, not on the major league bench. He didn't light the world on fire in AA and hasn't hit at AAA yet. If he can't hit at AAA then he'll never hit anyway ever.

He literally has less power than any Marlins outfielder that has ever played in the majors, and that includes Brett Carroll. Heavy no on him.

Literally even Juan Pierre? Yes, it is true. He is a pinch runner/defensive sub at this point.

He'll never hit for power. Look at the OBP figures though. He posted a .334 in 84 games at the highest level he's played at last season and he's kicking ass to start his AFL season. Again, all he needs to do is get on base to make a difference. I'm not saying he deserves to start right now but depeneding on what we do this offseason, he could. He plays six spots. And most of them very well.

.334 obp as a 25 year old in AA is really really bad for a guy that fast. He would need to be at .390ish for the obp to translate whatsoever to mlb. See Bill Hamilton. 

his bb/so is reasonable at least so maybe there's still an adjusement to be made. Would love for him to figure out. Exciting player

.334 obp as a 25 year old in AA is really really bad for a guy that fast. He would need to be at .390ish for the obp to translate whatsoever to mlb. See Bill Hamilton. 

his bb/so is reasonable at least so maybe there's still an adjusement to be made. Would love for him to figure out. Exciting player

Billy Hamilton is a freak of nature. Definitely an anomaly but fair comparison given huge speed, low ability to get on base/power. 

The reason Billy was able to reach the majors is because he was revolutionary in his speed. Hell he had an OBP under .290 in 2015 and still stole nearly 60 bases. He was also able to consistently keep an OPS above .700 (and at his height the .900+) in the minors.

Perez isn't near that. His minor league career is far, far less impressive than Hamilton's. It's also interesting that Perez only has 1 season where he was extraordinary in the SB category (2015), and it happens to be the season he got on base at a terrible rate. SB rate went from around 14% in 2015 to 12% in 2016. Not huge on the surface, but given the fact he improved his OBP by .050 I'd have to believe that the AA coaching staff told him to focus less on getting stolen bases and work on his plate discipline. 

Perez isn't a major league player as he currently is. Perez needs to have a Billy Hamilton 2011 type season (.700 OPS, high SB number) in AAA before he shows that he'd be deserving of a 25 man roster spot.

Billy Hamilton is a freak of nature. Definitely an anomaly but fair comparison given huge speed, low ability to get on base/power. 

The reason Billy was able to reach the majors is because he was revolutionary in his speed. Hell he had an OBP under .290 in 2015 and still stole nearly 60 bases. He was also able to consistently keep an OPS above .700 (and at his height the .900+) in the minors.

Perez isn't near that. His minor league career is far, far less impressive than Hamilton's. It's also interesting that Perez only has 1 season where he was extraordinary in the SB category (2015), and it happens to be the season he got on base at a terrible rate. SB rate went from around 14% in 2015 to 12% in 2016. Not huge on the surface, but given the fact he improved his OBP by .050 I'd have to believe that the AA coaching staff told him to focus less on getting stolen bases and work on his plate discipline. 

Perez isn't a major league player as he currently is. Perez needs to have a Billy Hamilton 2011 type season (.700 OPS, high SB number) in AAA before he shows that he'd be deserving of a 25 man roster spot.

I agree on your opinion!

I just remember a former marlin, Eric Reed when I first saw him.

Reed' career avg. was over .290. NOT EVEN CLOSED

Yea I remember him, that little guy... He was the type of player you just have to love because he is by far the smallest guy on the field and you know he had to work 100 times harder to get half the results.