Strong push for Chapman and Jansen coming

Guest Guest

How does doing nothing except trading Ozuna make any sense? If that's the plan, they might as well have another fire sale. What would they be waiting for? The great farm system? 

They should try their best while Stanton is still cheap and in his prime.

I'm not worried about the Marlins so much next season, I think they'll be fine. I'm more worried about the rest of the division just being way better than us, if that makes any sense. Hearing the Nats want both McCutchen and Sale. Just think about that. How could we ever top that not to mention the rest of the division?

I'm not worried about the Marlins so much next season, I think they'll be fine. I'm more worried about the rest of the division just being way better than us, if that makes any sense. Hearing the Nats want both McCutchen and Sale. Just think about that. How could we ever top that not to mention the rest of the division?

What do they have to lose with these moves they're supposedly rumored to make? Nothing.

What do they have to lose with these moves they're supposedly rumored to make? Nothing.

Money, as in the financial stability to make future moves. That's really my only concern with these moves because as a fan watching the specific players I'm excited. I want them to spend money but I'm always weary they overspend to the point of handcuffing themselves down the line.

They fucked themselves over so badly with bad drafting and trades, that I don't see what they can realistically do to be a good team this season. Try to build up they best they can by selling off Ozuna and Ramos and try to be more active in the international free agent market.

Over the next couple of years I would try some low risk/high reward signings and see where they stand two years from now in terms of free agency. Then consider trading Yelich and Stanton and everyone else to hit the restart button.

I don't think that spending over $100 million on a closer, no matter how good he is, is a worthy investment given that the team has some massive holes in the rotation with Jose gone.

I want them to spend money but I'm always weary they overspend to the point of handcuffing themselves down the line.

Loria won't be the owner anymore in a year or two IMO so the hope is that he pumps up the value of the team and a new richer owner takes over who can add even with the existing contracts. Loria's plan to sell only becomes more obvious with this off-season chatter. Dismantling the roster or doing nothing won't help improve the team's value in his likely final season of ownership.

Money, as in the financial stability to make future moves. That's really my only concern with these moves because as a fan watching the specific players I'm excited. I want them to spend money but I'm always weary they overspend to the point of handcuffing themselves down the line.

Seems like they're only spending big money on one elite reliever. 

Maybe Loria is willing to do so because he plans on selling sooner than later. 

Either way, if they don't do something, they should just have a fire sale. Might as well go for it now.

What I'm trying to say is that the Marlins are in a hopeless situation. Their farm system is terrible, the free agent market is terrible, Jose's value vanished into thin air, and they have some serious holes in their rotation.

Bringing in someone like Chapman seems like a move made in desperation that really won't solve any of the problems they are facing.

I see no evidence that Loria is close to selling. I'm not ruling it out and saying it's impossible, but you can't bank on that and use it as justification for the moves he's making this offseason.

They fucked themselves over so badly with bad drafting and trades, that I don't see what they can realistically do to be a good team this season. Try to build up they best they can by selling off Ozuna and Ramos and try to be more active in the international free agent market.

Over the next couple of years I would try some low risk/high reward signings and see where they stand two years from now in terms of free agency. Then consider trading Yelich and Stanton and everyone else to hit the restart button.

I don't think that spending over $100 million on a closer, no matter how good he is, is a worthy investment given that the team has some massive holes in the rotation with Jose gone.

That's a fair opinion. But if that's your opinion, why not just deal Stanton and Yelich now? 

I think you either keep the core and add pieces, or you sell everything and start over with new prospects. Apparently, they're going with the first option.

Peter Angelos is 10 years older than Loria is and is still the majority owner of the Orioles. Loria is also more meddling and fanatical about baseball than he is.

I see no evidence that Loria is close to selling. I'm not ruling it out and saying it's impossible, but you can't bank on that and use it as justification for the moves he's making this offseason.

Of course there's no evidence. Who announces they are going to sell the team in a year?  It is an assumption but I don't think a wild one

Even with my concerns, count me in on thinking they should be going for it. Rebuilding is almost the cool thing to do now but I also think teams do it too much. It wasn't that long ago that we hit the reset button as well, more than once, can't just abandon ship every time things don't go your way.

Peter Angelos is 10 years older than Loria is and is still the majority owner of the Orioles. Loria is also more meddling and fanatical about baseball than he is.

Age isn't the reason he would sell.  No better time than after he got the ASG. Longest time now until the next one plus all those ballpark penalties are over and the contracts are about to become more expensive, especially Stanton 

That's a fair opinion. But if that's your opinion, why not just deal Stanton and Yelich now? 

I think you either keep the core and add pieces, or you sell everything and start over with new prospects. Apparently, they're going with the first option.

Good point, there isn't much point in a middle ground especially with no farm to build upon.

Neither option is really going to produce a competitive team in 2017. I think they shouldn't blow things up right before the ASG because it's a bad PR move. That's why I'm inclined to sell off the less important pieces like Ozuna and Ramos and hope for the best.

I'm generally down on Ozuna and don't think he's a consistently great player. I think they should dump him ASAP before other teams realize that he's more of a player that he was in the second half, rather than the first.