Strong push for Chapman and Jansen coming

Guest Guest

We were also among the league leaders in blown saves last year, and it seems like we're near the top every year, as well. That's played into the team's consistent demise. It wouldn't hurt to have a true, shutdown reliever. 

Well, 3 of those were by Rodney, which was an idiotic trade from the beginning.

I never liked that trade.

The point being is that while Capps isn't as good as Chapman is, he could probably do a decent job of filling the role that Chapman would have. And the cost would have been minuscule.

The Marlins should be acquiring and cultivating more Carter Cappses instead of paying top dollar for them in free agency. 

The point being is that while Capps isn't as good as Chapman is, he could probably do a decent job of filling the role that Chapman would have. And the cost would have been minuscule.

The Marlins should be acquiring and cultivating more Carter Cappses instead of paying top dollar for them in free agency. 

I agree with you, but that's already over and done with. What can they do about it now other than try to upgrade the roster?

I agree with you, but that's already over and done with. What can they do about it now other than try to upgrade the roster?

Well, I'm saying that they should try to acquire relief help in that fashion in the future instead of paying top dollar for it.

I'm more trying to explaining why the blown save rate was so bad last season.

I agree. And a way to improve is to get better relievers is what I'm trying to say. Just like with anything else. An upgrade is an upgrade.

Well, yeah Chapman would improve on that. But also not trading a promising prospect for a 39 year old reliever with a volatile past is another option as well. 

A lot of the Marlins pen problems as of late stem from them selling low on Capps and buying high on Rodney.

Well, I'm saying that they should try to acquire relief help in that fashion in the future instead of paying top dollar for it.

It's not that easy to acquire relievers like that. As a matter of fact, when we got Capps, half the fanbase thought it was dumb (not me fyi) because we were trading a young, position player (Lomo) to get him.

Well, yeah Chapman would improve on that. But also not trading a promising prospect for a 39 year old reliever with a volatile past is another option as well. 

A lot of the Marlins pen problems as of late stem from them selling low on Capps and buying high on Rodney.

That's the front offices problem in general. They did it with Dyson too. I agree that they have a buy high/sell low problem.

Back to the idea of signing a closer though, it's possible that the easiest way to add a starter this offseason (without subtracting from the roster) is trading Ramos.

Hate Ozuna all you want, but the lineup is worse without him. 

If you add a closer, you can trade Ramos and add a starter without subtracting from the overall bottom line of the current roster.

Past mistakes aside, that thought process seems logical to me.

Hill is off the market and Hammel isn't an ace

Hammel would be a big booster to our rotation,if we were willing to spend 2/22 on Volquez why not spend 3/42~45 on Hammel? I don't think our FO would be stupid enough to only signing top closer  but not upgrade the rotation to a "OK" level.

A 14th pick is quite high and considering our farm system I would rather get Chapman and keep the pick. 

Also not sure what Ramos could get us in terms of starting pitchers but I'll take Sonny Gray or Jose Quintana for him. 

Well yeah, that's not happening.

They will probably fuck up that number 14 pick as they always do, but at what point do they start rebuilding their farm system?

I don't think the options are all or nothing, but I have trouble going all in and sacrificing the pick, when I'm not too enthusiastic about their chances in 2017.

To be honest, this seems like something an agent would put out there to try and get teams to start making offers for a free agent with a draft pick attached.  If the Marlins did this, it would be just another signal that Loria doesn't care about the future because he'd be selling soon...which is actually something I would gladly trade a 1st round pick for...

Agreed

Also, the Marlins would totally dump Chen if they could.

Why? Legitimate question. We desperately need sp and he's got a track record of being a solid starter despite the year he had in 2016. If I'm them Chen is a keeper for now.

I think Erick was implying this same thing but I think with the starters we have, our team is as capable of doing the super bullpen idea as well as any other team. It wouldn't be hard to get Chen Volquez Conley Koehler and one more to give you about 6 innings a night. And with a closer as good as Chapman Jansen or Melancon added to the back end of the pen that we already have its not crazy to have this work.

Also while the talk about the closers has picked up steam I don't think the Marlins have stopped looking for a modest signing for the last rotation spot. They probably would rather Phelps help the improved bullpen idea and get someone else to eat innings in the rotation.