The skinny on Redman

Shamrock

Looks like we might trade Redman to the Red Sox for Scott Williamson. I'd much rather have B Y Kim and think Redman is worth more.

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel: "Graves is stuck in Cincinnati and Sullivan signed in Kansas City, but Williamson, 27, has become a prime trade target for the Marlins as they search for a new closer."

Providence Journal "One logical fit for the Sox might be the world champion Florida Marlins, who won't re-sign closer Ugueth Urbina. It's possible the Sox could take lefty starter Mark Redman for Williamson then deal Redman elsewhere."

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel: "It's the wild rumor that won't go away. More and more, as you stroll the lobby of the New Orleans Marriott, the industry scuttlebutt on Vladimir Guerrero keeps coming up Marlins."

So we know its between us and Baltimore and that it doesnt look good. They have the money we have the intangibles. Nothing that new here, except the Williamson thing.

Although speculation last night was that the Orioles were very close to signing Ivan Rodriguez, it's still possible they'll end up with Javy Lopez.

It was rumored that the Orioles would sign Rodriguez to a three-year contract with a base salary of $7 million a season and incentives that would allow Rodriguez to earn $10 million a year. However, two team sources told the Baltimore Sun said the club was still leaning toward Lopez because Rodriguez was asking for more than the Orioles wanted to spend. It appears certain that the team will get one of the two catchers. Vladimir Guerrero and Sidney Ponson also remain possibilities. Source: Baltimore Sun

c/o rotoworld.com

Also the Rule V Draft begins today with the Tigers likely taking Pirates lefty Frank Brooks.

Also looks like we will be apart of the A-Rod deal! Kind of...

With Texas now willing to accept a pitcher instead of cash, the Rangers and Red Sox may be moving closer to an Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez swap.

No team was more displeased by Miguel Tejada's $72 million contract than the Red Sox. Any chance of them getting Nomar Garciaparra signed for $12 million per year now seems to have disappeared, making the A-Rod deal more likely to happen. As part of the trade, the Rangers would probably get Byung-Hyun Kim, Scott Williamson or whatever the Red Sox could get in return for Williamson from another team. Nomar would probably be sent to the Dodgers (perhaps for Odalis Perez) if an A-Rod deal takes place. Source: Boston Herald

Scott Williamson was told yesterday that he can stay with the Red Sox in a setup role or accept a trade elsewhere to serve as a starter or closer.

He has to decide by today. Even if he wants to stay -- and it's assumed that he'd prefer to go -- the Red Sox will move him if he becomes the key to the Alex Rodriguez deal. Speculation has him going to the Cardinals (perhaps along with 2002 second-round pick Jon Lester) for Jason Marquis. Marquis would then be sent to Texas in an A-Rod deal or to Toronto for Orlando Hudson. Also possible is that he'll be shipped to Baltimore for Jerry Hairston Jr. or Brian Roberts or to Florida for Mark Redman (another player who would be moved on to another team). Source: Boston Herald

I hope we pony up bigger change and go after Kim instead of Williamson. As rotoworld speculates the Sox then sensd Manny and Redman to the Rangers for A-Rod. Kid Theo is the MAN.

Scott Williamson was rookie of the year a while back with the Reds, and if he'd get himself back in shape the guy can be a devastating reliever.

looks like he made 1.6 million last season....

if they make the move, i'm hope they're sure about it, because normally i'm not in favor of trading a good starter for a reliever, unless that reliever is top-notch.

Scott Williamson was rookie of the year a while back with the Reds, and if he'd get himself back in shape the guy can be a devastating reliever.

Speaking of shape, does anyone know if Brad decided to go on a diet already?

Williamson isn't really proven yet (though I do admit, I definitely believe he's a great pitcher) though he had a great postseason, but if this frees up some more payroll, even I can see Baltimore having some competition for Guerrerro. If that's what I would do with the money is another story, but the money would certainly be there.

However, aren't they making about the same amount?

yeah, actually i'm thinking it's not really for money, & more based on "needs", as Das points out.

Williamson made 1.6 last year & is up for arbitration this year i believe.

Big Red could command somewhere between 3-4 million, so I'm not sure how much (if any) we'd save by signing Scott W, but I still think he's got it in him to be a top closer.

If they get Williamson, either Loop or Benitez (either of whom should play for $3 million), along with Fox that would be a pretty decent back of the bullpen.

I think they both will be as good as Urbina, to be honest. They physically have what it takes to close, and the intangibles will put either over the top. For Williamson, he is reunited with a skipper who believes in him and wants to prove he can close. For Benitez, he gets to redeem himself in a pressure-void environment.

I think both are capable of a Chad Fox-like turnaround.