Joel Sherman suggests trade for Tomas

SonOfJack

The suggested trade is fine but what's up with the demeaning tone of that article? Derek Jeter is doing a rebuild in Miami. Old news. Drop the pitchforks and see what happens next. 

My biggest take away from the article is that we will have one of the thinnest baseball ops in MLB.  What the hell is that about? I thought they were going to do things different yet the longer they run the show the more they look like the old owner.  If you plan on drafting better and spending money on IFA then wouldn't you want the best possible information available? From the best possible evaluators? I'm sorry but nothing about this group excites me.

I love ya [uSER=2328]@SilverBullet1929[/uSER] but why do you take negative articles so personal?  Joel Sherman is a very good and reputable reporter.

That trade really sucks. Prado is probably better as is, let alone Ziegler is going to be competent. That's a no brainer for the D-Backs.

There will be easily better trades for those guys. If you're just going to throw away money, at least get prospects and not a guy with a negative career WAR in 300 games making $40 million.

Also, I would make that trade in a heart beat.  If Tomas has a good first half he will have more value than any of the three we would be sending to AZ.  Trade him at the  deadline to an AL team that needs a DH and eat half of the salary and you might get a decent prospect in return.

I love ya [uSER=2328]@SilverBullet1929[/uSER] but why do you take negative articles so personal?  Joel Sherman is a very good and reputable reporter.

I'm not taking it personal but the article is about a proposed trade and Sherman throws in a whole bunch of unrelated hate on Jeter. It comes off childish and biased, like if there's a personal vendetta. It's bad journalism and I have always liked Joel Sherman. 

And how is Joel Sherman suddenly the expert on what makes a good front office? 

I'm not taking it personal but the article is about a proposed trade and Sherman throws in a whole bunch of unrelated hate on Jeter. It comes off childish and biased, like if there's a personal vendetta. It's bad journalism and I have always liked Joel Sherman. 

And how is Joel Sherman suddenly the expert on what makes a good front office? 

He's  not an expert but as a respected baseball journalist who covers the game for a living, I would consider his a very informed opinion. He could still be wrong of course.  

On a side note.

What about the fact that the Marlins have one of the thinnest baseball operations departments in the game ? Doesn't that concern you about the ability of this owneship group?

He's  not an expert but as a respected baseball journalist who covers the game for a living, I would consider his a very informed opinion. He could still be wrong of course.  

On a side note.

What about the fact that the Marlins have one of the thinnest baseball operations departments in the game ? Doesn't that concern you about the ability of this owneship group?

That's not accurate and we are still building our baseball operations department.

I don't even know what that really means. I've also never heard that from anyone else. Is it a quantity thing? Who's the front office? Hill, Denbo, Greenlee, and some assistant GM people? Do other teams have more people than that? And generally I've always heard favorable things about our front office from "baseball people"... even Hill gets commended here and there. The thought was usually that after Loria and Samson the front office was full of talented people who just couldn't break out of Loria's control. So take those talented people and swap a couple of lower guys for Denbo and Greenlee, wouldn't that be considered good? 

That's not accurate and we are still building our baseball operations department.

You might not agree with his opinion and that's fine.  However, if Sherman throws that out there I'm going to believe he has done his homework. This isn't Joe Frisaro we are talking about.  As for the "we are still building it part", perhaps, we'll see how it plays out.  However, haven't they had sufficient time to fill out the baseball ops department?  I mean it's not like putting together the Presidents cabinet for God's sake.

You might not agree with his opinion and that's fine.  However, if Sherman throws that out there I'm going to believe he has done his homework. This isn't Joe Frisaro we are talking about.  As for the "we are still building it part", perhaps, we'll see how it plays out.  However, haven't they had sufficient time to fill out the baseball ops department?  I mean it's not like putting together the Presidents cabinet for God's sake.

Im not sure what youre doing with Sherman, but he's not this pillar of baseball writing excellence you're making him out to be.

Wait wait wait... I know it's a thing around here to rag on Joe Frisaro but now suddenly he's not credible just because you like Joel Sherman? What makes you say Frisaro doesn't work hard and do his homework when he writes? Is it because he doesn't write for the New York Post? When I read Frisaro post news I believe he's done his homework. I also know the difference between news and when he's just speculating. 

And back to the baseball ops department thing, just because Joel Sherman doesn't like our front office doesn't mean they aren't "filled out" or capable of doing a good job. 

Just got cheaper maybe.

even the move he suggested in the article made no sense.  Prado is a better player when healthy and all its doing is adding more salary a few years from now when the goal should be to do the opposite, not to mention Tomas has a -1.4 WAR in his first three years and the only positions he isnt a liability at we have starters already in Bour and Anderson.

Wait wait wait... I know it's a thing around here to rag on Joe Frisaro but now suddenly he's not credible just because you like Joel Sherman? What makes you say Frisaro doesn't work hard and do his homework when he writes? Is it because he doesn't write for the New York Post? When I read Frisaro post news I believe he's done his homework. I also know the difference between news and when he's just speculating. 

And back to the baseball ops department thing, just because Joel Sherman doesn't like our front office doesn't mean they aren't "filled out" or capable of doing a good job. 

When I mentioned Frisaro I was referring to reputation and not necessarily working hard or doing their homework.  Reading my post again I can see the way I wrote it makes it sound like that. I worded it poorly.

Of course it's my opinion but I think Frisaro is terrible at his job regardless of how hard he might work or not.

On the contrary, I find Sherman to be one of the best baseball journalists in the game today. 

Also, do you think that Sherman lied or didn't do his homework?  Because in the article he mentioned that we have  "one of the thinnest" baseball ops department in MLB.  He never mentioned that they weren't good.  Although he did take a couple of shots at Hill but who could blame him for that.  

I have always liked Sherman. I don't think he lied or didn't do his homework. But I don't get what he means about having a thin front office and since I've never heard that comment from anywhere else and since Sherman seems to be pretty adamant about ragging on Jeter even if he sneezes too loud then I just don't think that thin front office line is very meaningful. Also, until he says what that actually means, it could also just be an opinion. 

Im not sure what youre doing with Sherman, but he's not this pillar of baseball writing excellence you're making him out to be.

I think he's one of the best baseball journalists in the game today.  Also, I never said he was pillar of baseball knowledge.  I'm just saying that he is a very reputable and respected source.

I have always liked Sherman. I don't think he lied or didn't do his homework. But I don't get what he means about having a thin front office and since I've never heard that comment from anywhere else and since Sherman seems to be pretty adamant about ragging on Jeter even if he sneezes too loud then I just don't think that thin front office line is very meaningful. Also, until he says what that actually means, it could also just be an opinion. 

I honestly hadn't noticed that he was being hard on Jeter.  Of course that could just be because I loath Jeter myself.  LOL

I'm going to assume that they have a thin Baseball ops department because Loria wasn't big on analytics and didn't have a big analytical team.  Jeter seems to be of that same mindset and probably hasn't hired a large analytical team either.  Who knows?

I honestly hadn't noticed that he was being hard on Jeter.  Of course that could just be because I loath Jeter myself.  LOL

I'm going to assume that they have a thin Baseball ops department because Loria wasn't big on analytics and didn't have a big analytical team.  Jeter seems to be of that same mindset and probably hasn't hired a large analytical team either.  Who knows?

Lol you missed the title? It said it all... "Trade Proposal for Jeter's Selfish Plan"... there was zero reason to put the word selfish in the title.