Players union complains to commish about Marlins

Admin

Fuck them. It's clear this isn't just a salary dump on the new ownership's part.

Remember that a primary purpose of this union is to squeeze as much money out of the owners as possible. It's no surprise they would be peeved that the Marlins chose to cut costs over adding contracts.

There's no way the players can win this argument especially when the Astros just won the World Series after tanking for a few years and with the improvements in the Marlins farm in the last 2 months there's enough evidence to say that a fire sale and rebuilding even by tanking a few years can lead to a world series. 

Marlins payroll is going to come out to around $87 million as of right now. Hard to bitch about that.

5 clubs were lower than that to open 2017 - including the Brewers.

That number is probably going down when a few more guys are traded, but they aren't in egregious land quite yet. I understand the historical precedent of the Marlins continuing to do this, but I think a complaint is better served in 2020 when hypothetically the Marlins are going to have 15-18 players making the minimum, including multiple potential high impact players like Brinson, Alcantara, and Guzman, and if they do nothing, that's telling.

Marlins payroll is going to come out to around $87 million as of right now. Hard to bitch about that.

5 clubs were lower than that to open 2017 - including the Brewers.

That number is probably going down when a few more guys are traded, but they aren't in egregious land quite yet. I understand the historical precedent of the Marlins continuing to do this, but I think a complaint is better served in 2020 when hypothetically the Marlins are going to have 15-18 players making the minimum, including multiple potential high impact players like Brinson, Alcantara, and Guzman, and if they do nothing, that's telling.

That's the year Jeter said he was opening up the wallet if things go to plan, right? Should be able to spend quite a few bucks by then, especially if there are that many making so little and, hopefully, producing.

This team could be pretty good in a couple years. Let's hope for the best I guess.