Billy the Marlin performer fired

SonOfJack

Sooo many potentially good replies at my disposal here, might as well use them all...

I heard that David Samson was the one to actually do the firing this time too.

I heard that Jeter eventually called him back and offered him a chance to return in a lessened role for a lesser salary. 

That's it! Trade the MVP all you want but fire Billy? Fuck off Jeter NOW I'm done!

I bet Billy had requested a trade too.

Can't wait to read MarlinsLou's analysis on this one. 

Maybe they thought the guy who was Billy was too toolsy?

Was this a pre planned part of Project Wolverine? 

Good thing they dumped this guy before he had the chance to die on the job. 

Good riddance. Fangraphs only had him ranked #29 in the mascot rankings. 

Billy the Marlin could have been the Yadier Molina of mascots. Ungrateful bastard. 

I think this is the job Paul Severino really got hired for. 

The new Billy's agent says his client is still unsure if he wants to attend Fan Fest Saturday. 

I bet they get Ichiro to come back and be the new Billy.

I bet they get Rich Waltz to come back and be the new Billy. 

Finally something that will make penguino happy! 

I bet Jose Fernandez predicted this too. 

I know you guys say we were only one really good mascot away from contending but with our farm system there was no way we were gonna realistically get a good enough mascot. 

Ok I think I'm done. 

Sooo many potentially good replies at my disposal here, might as well use them all...

I heard that Jeter eventually called him back and offered him a chance to return in a lessened role for a lesser salary. 

That's it! Trade the MVP all you want but fire Billy? Fuck off Jeter NOW I'm done!

Billy the Marlin could have been the Yadier Molina of mascots. Ungrateful bastard. 

The new Billy's agent says his client is still unsure if he wants to attend Fan Fest Saturday. 

I know you guys say we were only one really good mascot away from contending but with our farm system there was no way we were gonna realistically get a good enough mascot. 

Ok I think I'm done. 

That was like a David Letterman Top 10 list

Ok I think I'm done. 

Haha, nice. I've only been reading this forum, sorry blog, for a few weeks and I picked up on a lot of these. Not sure if the dying on the job or the Yadier Molina one was my favourite ?

Wait, we had the same guy performing as Billy for 14 years? If the guy was in his mid-20's when hired it's possible he's nearing or past 40 years old today. Maybe it was just time to get someone new in the suit. Maybe the guy wanted to leave. Maybe he physically couldn't take the job anymore. This is only "a thing" because the Marlins did it and I'll admit the timing makes it easy to make fun of. So stupid. 

Guest CHRISTYTOD

OMG - I saw this topic, and I was instantly elated! I assumed (yeah, I know.....) that it meant we were done with that stupid Billy the Marlin annoyance. To my dismay, I see that is not the case. Countless times that big monstrosity was blocking my view of a play, and I wished him gone so many times. It wasn't/isn't to be - for now. I guess I would like to see Jeter take a more old-fashioned baseball approach, like getting rid of the gimmicks (home run sculpture and silly mascot). Back in the day when baseball was truly America's pastime, men wore suits and ties to games and there were no ridiculous "mascots" blocking their view.....

OMG - I saw this topic, and I was instantly elated! I assumed (yeah, I know.....) that it meant we were done with that stupid Billy the Marlin annoyance. To my dismay, I see that is not the case. Countless times that big monstrosity was blocking my view of a play, and I wished him gone so many times. It wasn't/isn't to be - for now. I guess I would like to see Jeter take a more old-fashioned baseball approach, like getting rid of the gimmicks (home run sculpture and silly mascot). Back in the day when baseball was truly America's pastime, men wore suits and ties to games and there were no ridiculous "mascots" blocking their view.....

and threw tomatoes at Ruth

what an incredibly musty and old timey post.