Justin Nicolino: Trying to no longer suck

SilverBullet

I’m not a big believer in the “if Jose were still alive, we’d be good” idea, but if Jose were still alive and we would’ve gotten Syndergaard instead of Nicolino, then, yes, I’m not sure the rebuild ever happens.

It’s hard to believe we ever had a shot at Syndergaard and the scouts chose Nicolino. I’ve never believed that rumor was true because if it is, all the scouts should’ve been fired.

I’m not a big believer in the “if Jose were still alive, we’d be good” idea, but if Jose were still alive and we would’ve gotten Syndergaard instead of Nicolino, then, yes, I’m not sure the rebuild ever happens.

It’s hard to believe we ever had a shot at Syndergaard and the scouts chose Nicolino. I’ve never believed that rumor was true because if it is, all the scouts should’ve been fired.

Yeah but who knows if our people screw up Syndergaard? Or even if Nicolino stays in Toronto or gets traded to the Mets and then he ends up better there? 

I guess I'm saying we don't know how much of it is/was the players and/or the coaching/development staffs. 

this is a big part of Nico's value circa 2012 - he was supposed to have a high floor which has collapsed along with his command

One of the main reasons Justin Nicolino is such a highly regarded prospect is because of his repeatable delivery. Nicolino has a fluid windup and that will help him a ton once he faces more advanced hitters. Also, his delivery doesn't look like it will put him in any position where injuries would be more likely. His command, control and mechanics are why he has such amazing potential. If his body fills out (he's only listed at 160 pounds), Nicolino has a very good chance at becoming an above-average major league starting pitcher.

this is a big part of Nico's value circa 2012 - he was supposed to have a high floor which has collapsed along with his command

One of the main reasons Justin Nicolino is such a highly regarded prospect is because of his repeatable delivery. Nicolino has a fluid windup and that will help him a ton once he faces more advanced hitters. Also, his delivery doesn't look like it will put him in any position where injuries would be more likely. His command, control and mechanics are why he has such amazing potential. If his body fills out (he's only listed at 160 pounds), Nicolino has a very good chance at becoming an above-average major league starting pitcher.

I hate this teams obsession with “simplifying” the delivery of lefties to the point where the pitcher has no deception, and hitters time them like a pitching machine. They ruined Willis, miller, Heaney and Sean west that same way. You can’t just “throw strikes” in this league if you’re not doing something to keep them off balance. The hitters are too good. Same with nicolino, this team can’t develop left handed pitchers!

Nicolino’s stuff is absolutely terrible. I’m not even sure how he was ever a top prospect to be honest. The numbers were always there so I get that part, but it just seems obvious that his stuff wasn’t going to play that way at the next level.

I think one of his comps back in the day was Mark Buehrle. No disrespect to Buehrle who had a solid career, but you never choose a guy like Buehrle over a power arm like Syndergaard imo. It’s also odd that the Marlins chose that since they do seem to love guys who throw hard. I’ve always wondered if that rumor had any truth to it.

nothing wrong with pitching to contact, except when that contact consistently yields high impact balls in play or over the fences. 

He'll be atrocious this year too, or, in other words, our #3

nico's issue is he walks everyone in the majors. His whole thing was he's supposed to have the great command. I think he's a classic example where mlb k zone is smaller than milb, or maybe he just got scared

if you don't strike guys out you have to make up for that skill in three ways.

1. Don't walk guys (less than 2BB/9). Without a high K rate it's hard to get out of jams.

2. Don't give up home runs (less than .7HR/9). if you don't get a lot of strikeouts you will have a lot of balls in play 1/3 of those on average will be hits Meaning over time you will yield more baserunners.

3. Lots of soft ground balls. This was in theory why the scouts like him so much. When he was with the Blue Jays he had a ground ball % over 50%. Which in theory meant his ability to prevent hard hit balls wasn't luck.

With all that said the modern Justin Nicolino does none of those things. Unless he changes dramatically this year he is not a major leaguer.