Jose Fernandez's family upset with Jeter/Marlins

SilverBullet

i feel for jose's family, but they have to realize the consequences of his actions.  he died in a cocaine related boating accident and killed 2 others.  if he survived, he'd likely be in jail.  they havent completely abandoned his impact on the franchise, but not giving a shrine to that kind of event is reasonable and well within the marlins right.  It seems like they are the ones who cant come to grips with how their son died and why its not a good look for the franchise.

Loria's promises are the issue here. The family is going by what Loria promised them, which even in his defense, was promised out of his emotions. The team though has new owners and can do whatever they want. The family should understand that. 

And Thurman Munson's locker... is that still enshrined at Yankee Stadium?

These news outlets run these stories to get clicks and views because people love drama and hating on Jeter and the Marlins. The family is on the defensive because they're being sued by the families of the two other people that died and they want a slice of what Jose made during his time as a baseball player. Marlins have no obligation to do anything for Jose. Loria made those promises. Loria is gone. Jeter has no emotional attachment to Jose so he's not going to do anything out of empathy or guilt or friendship like Loria might've. And the lawyers comments at the end of the article are the most laughable of all. Why would anyone want to plant evidence to make Jose look bad at the time of the accident, what an absurd conspiracy with zero rationale backing it. Grasping at straws and trying to pull the ole' 'Hey look over there' and ramp up pressure on Marlins. Wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to get a payout from Jeter to shut up about all of this. All very sad.

Maritza Fernandez, Jose's mother, told reporters the team called her last month to pick up his belongings and clean out her son's old locker. She was under the impression the locker would remain intact as a shrine to Fernandez, similar to how Thurman Munson's locker remained untouched at the old Yankee Stadium following his death.

Yeah sorry but you can't compare Thurman Munson's death to Jose Fernandez. Yes Jose's death was shocking and did rock this team for the worse but he was also in different circumstances. Andre Dawson also was quoted on the recent article posted yesterday or the day before that the Marlin's pretty much let Fernandez do whatever he wanted. They didn't want him to leave in free agency so he did as he pleased. Jose Fernandez was amazing when he pitched at Marlins Park. Outside of that he was mortal and he didn't pitch for that long.

I think a plaque was sufficient. Naming a park, having a statue, and name a street after him is ridiculous. If Jose would have signed a contract to at least buy out his arbritration years when the Marlins first approached him, they wouldn't have to worry so much about financial security. I will say it is said to hear that their house is going into foreclosure.

yeah, enough has been done for Jose.  People do seem to forget the circumstances surrounding his death too - I'm not taking some holier-than-thou stance here because i did monumentally stupid shit when I was young too and I can't even fathom having the kind of access and money at that age that Jose did - but it is what it is, and it was mostly his fault that multiple people died.  I'm not going to ever argue that he was an amazing player and personality but enshrining his locker is a bit much.  What purpose would that serve other than to remind the remaining players of that painful event?  The Marlins have done way more than enough to immortalize Jose. 

Maybe his mom would like the HR Statue as compensation?

I think something little that would look good to many fans that can still be done, although it'd take time to show, is to just make sure Jose's Marlins moments aren't forgotten, to make sure he's still spotlighted when appropriate and to just make sure they don't look like they're trying to hide Jose's memory under the rug.

What I mean is, we don't need a statue or big things like that but when they show historical Marlins memories keep Jose in there. It sounds obvious but there are times when sports figures or other celebrities die in controversial or offensive ways and the teams or organizations try and look away and distance themselves from it or just kinda say "let's not bring that guy up anymore." 

With Jose they can easily show his on field moments within reason without ever mentioning how he passed. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/jose-fernandez-family-marlins-ruining-pitcher-legacy-article-1.3942363

The detail that sticks out to me here is how they say they were told Jose's locker would be enshrined at Marlins Park forever but they seem to forget that the man who may have promised them that sold the team last year. 

Enshrining his locker was fucking retarded to start with.

Fernandez being dead is 

1) Fernandez's fault, and this far and away is #1.  

2) Marlins organization or enabling him.

Too bad nobody seems to have taken any real personal responsibility.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.