Marlins To Designate JB Shuck, Activate Garrett Cooper

MrAndMrsFish

The Marlins are set to designate outfielder JB Shuck for assignment, according to Craig Mish of Sirius XM (Twitter link). His roster spot will go to Garrett Cooper, who’ll be activated from the disabled list.

Shuck, 31, has struggled at the plate in his action this year in Miami. Through 142 plate appearances, he carries only a .192/.255/.231 batting line. He has hit a bit more in past seasons, but in the aggregate is only a 72 OPS+ hitter in 1,232 trips to the plate in the majors.

As for Cooper, 27, he’s finally ready to return after suffering a fractured wrist on a hit-by-pitch early this season. The Marlins had picked him up from the Yankees over the winter in hopes that he’d make good on the promise he showed in the 2017 season. Cooper ended up posting a .359/.423/.634 slash in 350 total plate appearances in the upper minors last year and also hit well in his first, brief stint in the big leagues.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/marlins-to-designate-jb-shuck-activate-garrett-cooper.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Works for me. Annoyed me a good bit with Shuck that, despite how fast he is [he's 10th on the sprint speed leaderboard at 29.6 ft/sec], so few steal attempts. Perhaps Mattingly is a bit tight with the reins on stealing, but considering he's the fastest guy on our team, he needed to be let go a bit more.

Works for me. Annoyed me a good bit with Shuck that, despite how fast he is [he's 10th on the sprint speed leaderboard at 29.6 ft/sec], so few steal attempts. Perhaps Mattingly is a bit tight with the reins on stealing, but considering he's the fastest guy on our team, he needed to be let go a bit more.

Well, I mean, he was never on base.

I think it's just another fake news from Mish,checking the transactions of Marlins.com and the player that takes the spot of Shuck was Meyer and not Cooper.

Cooper will be activated soon since he flew to DC, but Mish did get bad info or guess wrong on the day.

I know you're just kidding.

Only about the 200 million. If Shuck was hitting .300 right now you'd be calling him untouchable and deeming a trade of him to be a firesale. We only have to look at Conley to confirm that. In March he didn't deserve to be on the roster and now in your opinion he's potentially the next Andrew Miller or Brad Hand and should be unotuchable.

Only about the 200 million. If Shuck was hitting .300 right now you'd be calling him untouchable and deeming a trade of him to be a firesale. We only have to look at Conley to confirm that. In March he didn't deserve to be on the roster and now in your opinion he's potentially the next Andrew Miller or Brad Hand and should be unotuchable.

to his defense, Conley isn't worth a lot now. And if we wait and see he might turn out to be Miller. He also might turn out to be Tazawa. But considering the return we would get today if we traded him, it might be worth it to hold on to him.

to his defense, Conley isn't worth a lot now. And if we wait and see he might turn out to be Miller. He also might turn out to be Tazawa. But considering the return we would get today if we traded him, it might be worth it to hold on to him.

I think almost everyone in favor of trading Conley or Steck or Claw wants a good return. There are a couple of people who will take anything, but most of us want a good return. No reason to settle, I actually used these exact words the other day.

Cooper will be activated soon since he flew to DC, but Mish did get bad info or guess wrong on the day.

[ATTACH]2056._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Hate to defend Mish but he never said definitively that Cooper was being activated he said that Shuck was being DFA'd and he guessed that it might be to allow Cooper to return. It was probably a site like Bleacher Report that took that as confirmation of a Cooper activation. As much as I would love to prove Cooper wrong the problem is when people who think they're reporting news make assumptions from other people's tweets just to try and be first on something. 

Screenshot_20180706-102404_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4f26b9b533288fbd3cab5ef31f8567cd.jpg

Hate to defend Mish but he never said definitively that Cooper was being activated he said that Shuck was being DFA'd and he guessed that it might be to allow Cooper to return. It was probably a site like Bleacher Report that took that as confirmation of a Cooper activation. As much as I would love to prove Cooper wrong the problem is when people who think they're reporting news make assumptions from other people's tweets just to try and be first on something. 

Yep seems his words were misreported then.

JB Shuck was only designated for assignment because the Marlins didn't want to pay his salary!

FUCK SALE!

FIRE JETER!

Dunno man, Shuck seems exactly like the kinda guys Jeter and co. seem to want to run out there every day!  This clearly must be a misprint - a tanking team can never have too many guys who hit below .200.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.