Derek Jeter doesn't care about winning

Useful players like Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrel, Denard Span, Adam Jones, Carlos Gonzalez, Evan Gattis and Gio Gonzalez are all still available.

Oh yeah let's spring for Keuchel and Kimbrel. Stupid.

Considering the state of the Marlins, adding all those players still might not make the team a playoff contender, but as Bryce Harper proved, bringing in good players sells tickets.

None of those players is Bryce Harper. People still didn't show up much in 2012 with a brand new ballpark and a few big name free agents signed. 

Some Marlins tickets can be purchased for under $15, which is a good deal for a major-league team. But if you’re buying online, you are subject to paying convenience fees and order fees. On top of that, you may have to pay for transportation, parking and concessions. At a certain point, it becomes far more cost effective to just go see a movie.

Parking aside, and in some cases it's also relevant here, do you not also sometimes have to pay for transportation and concessions at a movie?

Instead, Jeter is admitting the team is going to be awful in 2019

Everyone already knew this. Literally everyone. What do they want him to say? "Yeah maybe if the other four teams in the division all suck ass, we'll be in the playoffs." That'd be the only scenario. lol

And all that was just from the 15 line Yahoo article, I haven't even touched the CBS one yet to this point!

Edit - CBS article was practically the same trash. Do they not know what a rebuild entails? Jeter is wanting fans to have a great experience, yes, but not just for 2019. I feel like these writers are thinking that way. "He wants fans to just enjoy ballpark experience in 2019." Yes, and 2020, and 2021, and so on. Ugh.

I know, I know, it's only because it's the Marlins ...

• Like 1

They all just parrot each other.

the reality is - the team has been bad.  The team will be bad.  People don’t want to support a bad team, so they’re doing what they can to make it appeal to people who do come.  And if those people have a good time, maybe they’ll come back and bring their friends too.

and when the team IS good, they’ll have a great experience already “created”.

They all just parrot each other.

the reality is - the team has been bad.  The team will be bad.  People don’t want to support a bad team, so they’re doing what they can to make it appeal to people who do come.  And if those people have a good time, maybe they’ll come back and bring their friends too.

and when the team IS good, they’ll have a great experience already “created”.

Yeah but Jeter is putting the stadium experience before the on field product because he doesn't care about winning at all. What don't you understand about that?

Just imagine how packed it would be if they just signed a guy like Stanton.... 

didnt click the links you guys did a fine job summarizing.  I can’t handle the national opinion on what’s happening here.  I watch all the games.  I interact with local people that are dialed into what’s happening.  That’s all that matters...not yahoo sports editorials 

People still didn't show up much in 2012 with a brand new ballpark and a few big name free agents signed. 

Actually the team averaged over 27K in 2012, with a 94-loss team. I should know - I had a 1/4 season ticket in the upper deck. One fire-sale later, and they were under 20K for 2013...

Actually the team averaged over 27K in 2012, with a 94-loss team. I should know - I had a 1/4 season ticket in the upper deck. One fire-sale later, and they were under 20K for 2013...

Was it really 27K a night in 2012, though? Realistically? After a certain point people weren't showing up.

They sensationalized his words, I am not surprised though. People read headlines and often skip the full story. All these papers knew what they were doing.

Click-bait copy-paste articles from each other like I said before.  Completely agree people read headlines and not the story, so they make headlines dramatic to get looks/likes.

They sensationalized his words, I am not surprised though. People read headlines and often skip the full story.

This one is dumber than normal though. How can anyone really think he doesn't believe winning is priority? All he said was that he wants people to have a great experience at the ballpark, win or lose. Not sure how that means they aren't trying to win at the same time. Sounds like a smart business strategy to me. And all this after he just told the team at the start of spring training that they're still expected to win even if the roster isn't built to win yet. Nobody makes those words the headline when that's the real story here.

This one is dumber than normal though. How can anyone really think he doesn't believe winning is priority? All he said was that he wants people to have a great experience at the ballpark, win or lose. Not sure how that means they aren't trying to win at the same time. Sounds like a smart business strategy to me. And all this after he just told the team at the start of spring training that they're still expected to win even if the roster isn't built to win yet. Nobody makes those words the headline when that's the real story here.

I said it before, but the reality is - he's completely right.  A lot of people go to go, and don't care about the game.

Sometimes my mom will come with me and my dad and brother or if we go with other friends.  She could absolutely care less about the game, she's there to be with us and (hopefully) have a good time.  By adding all these little things and different foods, they're not only appealing to the fans that DO want the team to win, they're also appealing to those types of people like my mom, who come along just as something to do/tag along for entertainment.  If she has a good time, maybe she'll want to come back next game instead of staying home, and that means one more ticket sale, and X amount more concession sales.  Multiply that by however many groups there are, and you have a good number of additional folks that may come.

It'll take time, but its painfully obvious what they're doing once you actually look at it.  Like you said, it's a good business strategy, and I think we'd be criticizing him if he wasn't doing things like this.

Actually, it isn't just Jeter who doesn't care about winning. It's about half the league. And some teams want to win, just not that much. A guy who won the Cy Young Award a few years ago and is only 31 can't get a decent contract. At least a half-dozen teams are actively trying to lose, so that a) they can get better draft picks, b) they can stockpile kids who may some day become the nucleus of a competitive team, and c) save a lot of money. A lot of people think that the Marlins are doing the right thing because this is the system we have. I say the whole system sucks.

But yeah, Jeter doesn't give a crap about whether we win this year, probably next year, and maybe even 2021.

[MEDIA=twitter]1104909368812818432[/MEDIA]

Isn't this what Jeter meant?

Those fans go to a game and enjoy themselves regardless of result, it doesn't mean the team and organization isn't trying to win but it means the mood and atmosphere allows for a great time no matter what happens on the field.