When the padres fleeced the marlins MLBTRADERUMORS article

97marlin

They also just wrote about dismantling the 2017 outfield. Man I get it's a slow news time but c'mon.

I saw that. Didn't even bother reading it. Like how many times do we need to go over that?

It's literally brought up every time any one of Stanton, Yelich, or Ozuna are mentioned.

I saw that. Didn't even bother reading it. Like how many times do we need to go over that?

It's literally brought up every time any one of Stanton, Yelich, or Ozuna are mentioned.

Eh. It'll go away once the team starts being successful long term. So, fairly soon.

I watched the game where they clinched the 97 postseason berth and the post game analysis and interviews and celebration really stood out to me because there was zero inkling that this franchise would become such a punchline. Everyone was acting like that success would become the norm and like that ownership and front office could do no wrong. I guess that's commonplace for every winning team but just thinking about how drastically the narrative would flip just months later and continuing to present day was a little jarring.

I watched the game where they clinched the 97 postseason berth and the post game analysis and interviews and celebration really stood out to me because there was zero inkling that this franchise would become such a punchline. Everyone was acting like that success would become the norm and like that ownership and front office could do no wrong. I guess that's commonplace for every winning team but just thinking about how drastically the narrative would flip just months later and continuing to present day was a little jarring.

I remember it differently back in '97. there were persistent rumors towards the latter half of that season that Huizenga was going to gut/sell the team and it was even one of the questions asked of him during the post-game WS sound bytes on the field by some female reporter (Sorry, don't remember who).

Eh. It'll go away once the team starts being successful long term. So, fairly soon.

It'll take at least a decade of success before that happens. They'll find a way to bring it up.

Too bad we'll never know what could have been.

What is with mlbtraderumors. I get the marlins are a volatile team. And everyone has an opinion about them but man. I'm not sure there has ever been more articles written about them on a national website. Worse I feel like they are all rehashed articles that have happened before.

April 22: The outfield trades

April 25 morning: Ray's won the Anderson trade

April 25 afternoon: Marlins Gambling away future

Are they doing this for every organization? Or are they just especially obsessed with Jeter (maybe they are A-rod fans?). Not to mention two of those articles are rehashes, mind you in a negative tone, of two articles that fangraphs produced during the deadline.

The florida trade

The marlins declare their type

Both articles emphasize the same ideas, manage to be less opinionated. And present the downsides of the moves overall. While at the same time presenting the idea in a reasonably structured argument. The author on fangraphs praises the Nick Anderson trade. Essentially saying it's exactly what everyone in both groups should be doing. Then in the second fangraphs article the author doesn't ridicule the marlins for taking risks. They acknowledge that the marlins strategy suggests a belief in development. And emphasizes that though not what he would think to do (he prefers the Daimondbacks method) understands that by stockpiling these kinds of individuals they increase there odds of success.

MLBTradeRumors stick to stories about what might happen, let the other sites look back on what did happen.

They're doing it for some other teams too. They've talked about how the Padres have gotten guys and stuff too.

They just have no normal content right now with everything shut down, so they're trying to write articles about something.

I get that. I think all of the sports writing world is suffering. Some sites, like fangraphs, are looking for membership. I guess MLBTRADERUMORS is just producing content.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.