8/9 Post Game Thread

Bad game to end what turned out to be a not so good series. Should have won this one and that's saying a lot considering deGrom was on the mound.

Monte's swing is way too long right now. He laid off bad pitches but man he has got to be able to crush those fastballs in the zone. Certainly came up a lot in big spots during the game. Oh well. Learning experience, I guess.

That umpire was so god awful. Lavarnway didn't help Pablo at all either, for what it's worth. But to have some full strikes and full balls be called the other way, man ...

• Like 1

that was one of the very worst displays I've ever seen of calling balls and strikes and like everyone else, I've been watching baseball a very long time.  when you could fit an entire baseball or two between where the pitch ended up and where the strike zone is and you're getting the call wrong over and over you need to go back to umpire school. 

I was utterly amazed nobody got tossed yesterday for arguing.

Monte, outside, of a couple nice catches, also takes some really bad routes in the OF (which seems to be a trend overall with our outfielders this year for whatever reason).  I know it's still super early and he's barely had his cup o' coffee at the big league level but man, if you ain't hitting or playing defense...well...you're hurting way more than helping. 

I was so happy to see Eddy the Eagle get some hits in there yesterday and continue his streak of nice defensive plays.  Fly Eddy, Fly.

11 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Really ?

Thats what I am wishing for at least. OF offensively/defensively have been atrocious. If BA isn't going to play RF, then lets get strong arm out there. I know reports previous says Miami offered and he rejected, maybe Jeter and Co will swallow their pride and reach out to him again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

that was one of the very worst displays I've ever seen of calling balls and strikes and like everyone else, I've been watching baseball a very long time.  when you could fit an entire baseball or two between where the pitch ended up and where the strike zone is and you're getting the call wrong over and over you need to go back to umpire school. 

I was utterly amazed nobody got tossed yesterday for arguing.

Monte, outside, of a couple nice catches, also takes some really bad routes in the OF (which seems to be a trend overall with our outfielders this year for whatever reason).  I know it's still super early and he's barely had his cup o' coffee at the big league level but man, if you ain't hitting or playing defense...well...you're hurting way more than helping. 

I was so happy to see Eddy the Eagle get some hits in there yesterday and continue his streak of nice defensive plays.  Fly Eddy, Fly.

From what I'm seeing, Monte has really good fluid mechanics. He's just overswinging terribly right now trying to put one out. During that at bat with the tying run on second in the 8th he should have been thinking contact. You have a dude on the mound throwing 98. Put the barrel out there and let the pitch speed do the work. Even Glenn Geffner was saying "You don't need the 3 run home run right now Monte" during the broadcast. All in all though, I'm confident he'll get to the point where he'll swing and miss plenty, but the extra base hits will come in droves. And that's all we need from him. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

From what I'm seeing, Monte has really good fluid mechanics. He's just overswinging terribly right now trying to put one out. During that at bat with the tying run on second in the 8th he should have been thinking contact. You have a dude on the mound throwing 98. Put the barrel out there and let the pitch speed do the work. Even Glenn Geffner was saying "You don't need the 3 run home run right now Monte" during the broadcast. All in all though, I'm confident he'll get to the point where he'll swing and miss plenty, but the extra base hits will come in droves. And that's all we need from him. 

So long as it doesn't become Stantonesque. Which is ... likely, but he did show discipline with a lot of the breaking pitches he saw.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

I think the umpires behind home plate have been horrific this year to the point where I want an automated strike zone. I know some traditionalists may think it’s extreme, but I’m willing to live with that and the other rule changes this year except the extra inning garbage. 

I feel like we say this year after year, and yet...it doesn't make it any less true that the umps seem to be getting worse and worse.

I really hope that shit stain from Sunday received an awful report card for Sunday's game. I swear he lost his contacts before the game.  It's been a LONG time since I've seen a butchering of a game that bad.