9/18 Post GameS Thread

Magic numbers (team(s)):

Playoffs: 9 (CIN*/MIL*/PHI*)

Division 2nd place: 9 (PHI*)

Division 1st place: 14 (ATL-x)

Games left: 10

Despite a higher magic number to win the east the Marlins still control their destiny since they play Atlanta 4 more times.

* = Marlins hold the tiebreaker

-x = other team holds the tiebreaker

Note that the magic numbers posted assume all respective teams play 60 games.

Edited by FishFan95

Just because Marlins have a series vs the Braves, doesn't mean they control their own destiny.  

To even talk about winning the division, Marlins would have to take 3 gms vs the Nats, sweep the Braves, then win the Yankees series.  

I believe we control our fate for the wild card.  Need to win the Nats series and or one of the Braves/Yankees series.  The tie breaker is huge right now, and could be the difference.

Anyone else think Sixto was stretching before pitches more than usual like his back or something else was bugging him throughout the game? The wife and I both noticed it and mentioned it to each other at almost the same time. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Anyone else think Sixto was stretching before pitches more than usual like his back or something else was bugging him throughout the game? The wife and I both noticed it and mentioned it to each other at almost the same time. 

Hmm ... could be something to look into. Maybe just some tightness or back stiffness from carrying the staff the last two weeks. 

yeah, it looked like it was specifically his back that was bugging him with how he was stretching before he'd get set and throw a pitch. 

Mattingly was correct in that most of the hits were on the ground at least and just happened to get through but his movement just wasn't there either (imo) and he just looked stiff on the mound when releasing his pitches as compared to other starts.  I guess we'll wait and see if he doesn't have it next start either.  I really do firmly believe his back is/was bothering him. 

Edited by hovertical
just adding more detail
10 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Just because Marlins have a series vs the Braves, doesn't mean they control their own destiny.  

To even talk about winning the division, Marlins would have to take 3 gms vs the Nats, sweep the Braves, then win the Yankees series.  

I believe we control our fate for the wild card.  Need to win the Nats series and or one of the Braves/Yankees series.  The tie breaker is huge right now, and could be the difference.

Control you destiny means that the team can win the spot on their own. It does not matter if it is likely, but if the Marlins won the rest of their games, it would not matter what the Braves or Phillies did in their games.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, EricWiener said:

Reds have gotten hot, so the Magic Number isn't moving very much.  Marlins just need to take care of business.

At this point the magic number for the Phillies is as low as the bar for general play offs so it will start to go down from just them.

• Michael changed the title to 9/18 Post GameS Thread