9/2 Postgame

I don't know why Jeter is to blame for any of this.

I also don't know why we're blaming anyone. The team is being built. It is not built yet. 2020 was not a full season and you can't compare it to any other season. Making the playoffs in 2020 meant little for our expectations over a full season. The more games you play, the higher the chances that slumps/hot streaks will even out and you have the true "best teams". The 2020 team likely doesn't make the playoffs over 162 games and that's ok.

You have to give these guys a chance. They are continuosly drafting well and developing players. It's dumb to make a splash when it's not your final piece. We don't even know what that piece will be, although I suspect it will be a 2B or C

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I also don't know why we're blaming anyone. The team is being built. It is not built yet. 2020 was not a full season and you can't compare it to any other season. Making the playoffs in 2020 meant little for our expectations over a full season. The more games you play, the higher the chances that slumps/hot streaks will even out and you have the true "best teams". The 2020 team likely doesn't make the playoffs over 162 games and that's ok.

You have to give these guys a chance. They are continuosly drafting well and developing players. It's dumb to make a splash when it's not your final piece. We don't even know what that piece will be, although I suspect it will be a 2B or C

Good post but are you agreeing with those who say there needs to be more urgency to win, and that in 2022 the team needs to step forward or would you be ok with them still scuffling in 2022?

2 hours ago, Entendu said:

I disagree - to an extent.  Obviously you don't sign someone to some big contract year one of a rebuild.  But sometimes a splash needs to be made early to show everyone (both on the team and externally/to other teams, FAs, etc) that you mean business and that things will be different - like the Nationals when they signed Jayson Werth a year "early".  Their top guys weren't ready yet, but they signed him to show what they planned to do.  And I think we're at that point now.  If there's ever a team that needs to show people things will be different, it's the Marlins.  To your point, we have seen "different" as far as drafting, international spending, etc.  Now we need to see it with FAs.

I think a big component to the "we need to be doing more/moving forward out of rebuild stage" argument is because of the pitching we have NOW that's being wasted on lost seasons.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I disagree - to an extent.  Obviously you don't sign someone to some big contract year one of a rebuild.  But sometimes a splash needs to be made early to show everyone (both on the team and externally/to other teams, FAs, etc) that you mean business and that things will be different - like the Nationals when they signed Jayson Werth a year "early".  Their top guys weren't ready yet, but they signed him to show what they planned to do.  And I think we're at that point now.  If there's ever a team that needs to show people things will be different, it's the Marlins.  To your point, we have seen "different" as far as drafting, international spending, etc.  Now we need to see it with FAs.

I think a big component to the "we need to be doing more/moving forward out of rebuild stage" argument is because of the pitching we have NOW that's being wasted on lost seasons.

I'm not sure how much signing Werth early mattered. You change an FA's perception by throwing money at them, and you change the media/other teams' by winning games. Maybe it gives your team an internal pick-me-up and a sign that you're willing to get them players, but any boost from that seems marginal at best. Good players will win regardless of how they feel.

21 hours ago, Entendu said:

I'm not sure how much signing Werth early mattered. You change an FA's perception by throwing money at them, and you change the media/other teams' by winning games. Maybe it gives your team an internal pick-me-up and a sign that you're willing to get them players, but any boost from that seems marginal at best. Good players will win regardless of how they feel.

I remember it being a rather big deal at the time - like a "wow, Washington is serious now" move/reaction in baseball.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I'd be ok with .500 ball or something close to it. They're on pace to lose 94 games. Is 13 extra wins a big stride considering all the injuries? I don't think so.

Ok that's fair, I agree with your "it's still a process" posts but I'm afraid of the moving of the goal posts and being ok with last place finishes just because "it takes time." I think it's time to, at the very least, be improving every year at the MLB level.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Ok that's fair, I agree with your "it's still a process" posts but I'm afraid of the moving of the goal posts and being ok with last place finishes just because "it takes time." I think it's time to, at the very least, be improving every year at the MLB level.

There's only so much improving that's possible before you have to give the same performance every year.

I mean I'm ok with going 173-0 every year, but ...