Thank you Kim!

Das Texan

2 hours ago, Valid said:

How do you know that? When have they had the chance to sign a big-name free agent up until this point under this current regime? This is really the first time they've had the opportunity to do so. I agree that there are reasons to be skeptical, but let's give them a chance before we immediately say "we know they won't."

There's technically no limitation to them signing anyone any year, aside from them not wanting to, but I understand what you mean.

Re-signing Realmuto last year would've been a very smart move at a position of need.  But they didn't even try because it was a year before their plan.  In that situation, they should've taken the financial hit for a year (new salary plus Chen money, etc), and made an effort to get him.  It's stupid they didn't even attempt to.

They have done things differently on the draft and farm system side, so I have a slight bit of hope they will spend now that the timing is in their plan, but am not overly confident in it.  It will not shock me at all if we get the whole "we tried, but couldn't agree to numbers with our targets" line.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

There's technically no limitation to them signing anyone any year, aside from them not wanting to, but I understand what you mean.

Re-signing Realmuto last year would've been a very smart move at a position of need.  But they didn't even try because it was a year before their plan.  In that situation, they should've taken the financial hit for a year (new salary plus Chen money, etc), and made an effort to get him.  It's stupid they didn't even attempt to.

They have done things differently on the draft and farm system side, so I have a slight bit of hope they will spend now that the timing is in their plan, but am not overly confident in it.  It will not shock me at all if we get the whole "we tried, but couldn't agree to numbers with our targets" line.

Part of the reason why I supported signing Realmuto last season was because of how barren the Catching market is this year. We would have to make a trade to get a significant upgrade now.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

they didn't even try because it was a year before their plan.

This front office sticks to their supposed plan so stubbornly, I think it's because Loria did the opposite of that so they're trying to not fall down the Loria path. It can be frustrating for us but at the same time, if the time for their plan to add in free agency is finally here then I'm very open to seeing what they do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Part of the reason why I supported signing Realmuto last season was because of how barren the Catching market is this year. We would have to make a trade to get a significant upgrade now.

Agreed - that was a case where you bite the bullet a year early because of the quality of the guy available.  Oh well.

• Like 2