Top 5 Moments of This Boring Season

Erick

I was just thinking of the top moments so far in this abysmal season. 

Is there a top moment this season for you that doesn’t involve Sandy Alcantara? Serious question.

Last night’s game was proof that the fans aren’t as awful as people say. Bruce Sherman, Kim Ng, and Don Mattingly are destroying what’s left of baseball fandom in Miami.

Over 23,000 loud fans for Sandy (a pitcher worth watching), the Dodgers (a team worth watching), and I guess Venezuelan Heritage Night played a part too.

The most boring part of the game last night was our boring manager once again not defending one of his own players. 

Since I don’t remember the last complete game I watched that didn’t involve Sandy Alcantara, I was wondering if anyone has a non-Sandy moment from this season that was exciting. I guess Fortes walkoff against the Mets is one I remember.

This thread was created mainly to point out that this team is very boring. It’s not the worst team in Marlins history, but I’ve never been more bored by a team. And it starts with the owner, GM, and manager. I’d rather have Jeffrey Loria again. 

Edited by Erick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Off the top of my head we ended April with a 7 game winning streak where it looked like there was something to build upon. We shit the bed after that but I think that 7th game win was the peak of this season, that's the top moment of the season for me. Sadly that was April 30th lol. 

Edit: crap I just looked this up. That winning streak was nice but it only pulled us up from the bottom, we came out of that with a record of just 12-8 and then ended up losing 9 of the next 10, putting us at 13-17 by mid May. Jesus what a terrible season. The high point of the year was liking wiping dog shit off your shoe and then accidentally stepping in it again... and then we pretty much just let the shit dry up and remain on your shoe the rest of the year. 

46 minutes ago, Erick said:

Last night’s game was proof that the fans aren’t as awful as people say.

As always, give the fans a reason to show up and they will. Even in a shit season this is true as we forget how "easily" casual fans can forget about the negatives when you give them a reason to forget. The problem of course is that our current product rarely gives the fans a reason to show up, and on a daily basis gives fans more reason to choose other options. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

As always, give the fans a reason to show up and they will. Even in a shit season this is true as we forget how "easily" casual fans can forget about the negatives when you give them a reason to forget. The problem of course is that our current product rarely gives the fans a reason to show up, and on a daily basis gives fans more reason to choose other options. 

Shame on the fans though for not wanting to go to the ballpark the other night to watch Joey Wendle hit 4th against a left-handed pitcher.

• Haha 1

Recently I was hanging out with some friends and one of the girls in the group brings up that the team is promoting a Sunday brunch thing and all the girls were like oh wow that would be fun we should do that and the guys were like yea cool we're down...

And I'm sitting there thinking what is wrong with these people? I refuse to support this shit show as the team is boring, they can't score runs, Donnie ruins every game, Kim Ng is asleep, Sherman is cheap, the minor league system is shit again, etc etc etc...

And then it hits me that "nobody" gives a shit about any of that, nobody even knows that, except me the dumbass who chooses to be a die hard fan of this team.

If I vent my complaints to my friends they'll be like uh who cares let's go enjoy brunch and a baseball game.

My point: we here can bitch all day but the casual fans don't care, don't know, or forget easily. Ignorance is bliss... there are plenty of people who will go to Marlins games if you give them a reason to go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Erick said:

Shame on the fans though for not wanting to go to the ballpark the other night to watch Joey Wendle hit 4th against a left-handed pitcher.

I get what you're saying but with my casual fans argument: how many people actually check the lineups before the game, let alone use that to decide if they attend the games? The crowd last night was gonna be the same no matter who was batting cleanup. Don's lineups might screw our chances to win but they aren't gonna affect attendance. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I get what you're saying but with my casual fans argument: how many people actually check the lineups before the game, let alone use that to decide if they attend the games? The crowd last night was gonna be the same no matter who was batting cleanup. Don's lineups might screw our chances to win but they aren't gonna affect attendance. 

This is true, I agree with you.

As I said, Venezuelan Heritage Night played a part in attendance last night too.

These things are up to ownership and the people who work for the Marlins too just like putting a winning product on the field.

The best thing they did this year was the Sandy’s Beach Section during Sandy’s starts. I could see that becoming more popular as time goes on. 

I think it all plays a part.

I forgot where I saw that TV ratings are way higher this year when Sandy’s on the mound as opposed to the other games.

A lot of casuals don’t care, you’re right. But also, having better, more marketable players helps too. 

A lot of casual fans probably went last night for Venezuelan Heritage Night and to enjoy a game, but Sandy probably made it a memorable night for a lot of people. It was a great baseball atmosphere especially in the 9th inning. That’s a way to turn some of those casual fans into fans that might want to go see a game again the next time Sandy pitches. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Erick said:

Sandy probably made it a memorable night for a lot of people. It was a great baseball atmosphere especially in the 9th inning. That’s a way to turn some of those casual fans into fans that might want to go see a game again the next time Sandy pitches

Yes this is a major part of bringing those casual fans too. Let Venezuelan Heritage night and Bottomless Brunch bring casual fans in but when they see a good team and an exciting game then they're more likely to want to come back. By the same token, if they see a boring game and a 6-0 loss they're less likely to return. 

Baseball is such a weird game in the sense that you have no clue if you're gonna witness a thriller or a snoozefest on any given day. I've been to many games where I've thought man this is the kind of game that would create new lifelong fans just by watching it live. 

But like you said, many things play a part. It's up to the entire organization to work together and bring all these parts together. Especially for a franchise that can't sell tickets on name value alone.

28 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Last night's game was Venezuelan Heritage night, with a Dominican pitcher pitching a complete game, while wearing Cuban inspired uniforms. 

Cool.

Miami.

International. 

The City Connect jerseys should be our regular jersey.

Or if not, keep them as Saturday alternates and create new uniforms with the City Connect colors.

Our primary jerseys are also boring. We need to get away from the era when Jeter was trying to turn us into the Yankees off the field. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I wish they'd realize it.  And realize they'd make more money.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Recently I was hanging out with some friends and one of the girls in the group brings up that the team is promoting a Sunday brunch thing and all the girls were like oh wow that would be fun we should do that and the guys were like yea cool we're down...

And I'm sitting there thinking what is wrong with these people? I refuse to support this shit show as the team is boring, they can't score runs, Donnie ruins every game, Kim Ng is asleep, Sherman is cheap, the minor league system is shit again, etc etc etc...

And then it hits me that "nobody" gives a shit about any of that, nobody even knows that, except me the dumbass who chooses to be a die hard fan of this team.

If I vent my complaints to my friends they'll be like uh who cares let's go enjoy brunch and a baseball game.

My point: we here can bitch all day but the casual fans don't care, don't know, or forget easily. Ignorance is bliss... there are plenty of people who will go to Marlins games if you give them a reason to go.

I almost went to that with friends if they wanted to go.

But they were all busy.

1 hour ago, Erick said:

Or if not, keep them as Saturday alternates and create new uniforms with the City Connect colors.

Our primary jerseys are also boring. We need to get away from the era when Jeter was trying to turn us into the Yankees off the field. 

I mean, the city connect colors are basically our colors, except the blue is a bit different.

If they'd choose to actually use the colorful colors (red/blue) they chose for our regular sets/logos, they'd be onto something, but they're inexplicably dead-set on the use of black as a main color.  I'd flip the script, and have the blue be the primary, red an alternate, and have saturday night games be a "NIGHT LIFE" theme with the blackout uniforms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erick said:

I HATE the color red so as much as I dislike our current unis - having the primary one be red would be unbearable 

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

except the blue is a bit different.

I was pretty sure the blue was the same, could be wrong.

I actually don't hate the use of black it's just overused and I think overusing red would be bad. I think the problem is the balance of colors. Add more blue to the main uniforms, keep black as an accent, emphasize red occasionally but not more than the blue/black combo, and keep an overuse of black to an occasional thing as well.

Use the 1997 balance of colors replacing teal with blue and we're good.

I think this is the right balance... update the home uniforms to this and they'd look great, basically just make the home script blue with a black outline and make it say Marlins instead of Miami.

image.thumb.png.72d77dafa178c91af162afa1d7c237f5.png

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:16 AM, SilverBullet said:

I was pretty sure the blue was the same, could be wrong.

I actually don't hate the use of black it's just overused and I think overusing red would be bad. I think the problem is the balance of colors. Add more blue to the main uniforms, keep black as an accent, emphasize red occasionally but not more than the blue/black combo, and keep an overuse of black to an occasional thing as well.

Use the 1997 balance of colors replacing teal with blue and we're good.

I think this is the right balance... update the home uniforms to this and they'd look great, basically just make the home script blue with a black outline and make it say Marlins instead of Miami.

image.thumb.png.72d77dafa178c91af162afa1d7c237f5.png

You're correct, it is "Miami Blue" for both per the team's press releases, it was red that went between "Caliente red" for the regular ones, and "Legacy Red" for the city connect.  The blue looks like a lighter/more baby blue shade to the eye on the city connects.

image.png.c4834ffbfed9e3fda8dd3ee273240fa7.png

image.thumb.png.bbdc8ed96b56f9e96ea1d2f9f2c216f5.png

Anywho, I'm with you.  Black and red should be accents, with blue being the primary color, not black with red/blue accents.

• Like 2