MLB Notes - Free Agent Deadline Talk, Manfred Won't Seek New Term, MLB To More Strictly Enforce Obstruction Rule

rmc523

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/manfred-mlb-favors-free-agent-signing-deadline.html

“We would prefer to have a free agency signing period, ideally in December, with a deadline,” Manfred said, regarding the league office and the owners (relayed by Alex Speier of the Boston Globe). Manfred confirmed the league has floated that possibility in conversations with the MLB Players Association, which opposes the idea.

“We actually made proposals to that effect to the MLBPA. They were not warmly received,” he continued (link via ESPN’s David Schoenfield). “With the system we have right now, one of the tactics that’s available to player representatives is to stretch out the negotiation in the belief they’re going to get a better deal. That’s part of the system right now. There’s not a lot we can do about it. Certainly, from an aspirational perspective, we’d rather have two weeks of flurried activity in December, preferably around the winter meetings where (media is) all there to write about it.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/rob-manfred-not-planning-to-seek-another-term-as-mlb-commissioner.html

Rob Manfred spoke with the media today and said that his current tenure as MLB commissioner will be his last. His current term runs through January of 2029. Alex Speier of The Boston Globe was among those to relay the news.

“You can only have so much fun in one lifetime,” Manfred said, per Evan Drellich of The Athletic. “I have been open with them (the owners) about the fact that this is going to be my last term.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39524850/sources-mlb-enforce-obstruction-bases

Major League Baseball intends to strictly enforce the obstruction rule around the bases this season, instructing umpires to be more diligent in calling the infraction, sources tell ESPN.

The league is holding a videoconference call with managers on Wednesday to inform teams.

Obstruction is defined as the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. The league is focused on the latter part of the rule as it believes infielders are blocking runners' paths to the bag under the guise of fielding the ball from a teammate.

The enhanced enforcement of the rule, which is already on the books, will mostly impact plays around second and third base. The most common infraction is when a middle infielder puts his lower leg on the ground to block the runner's path to second, sometimes leading to hand or ankle injuries depending on how a runner slides. A common infraction at third base involves an infielder moving up the line to block a runner's path as he receives the ball from an outfielder.

Edited by rmc523

• The title was changed to MLB Notes - Free Agent Deadline Talk, Manfred Won't Seek New Term, MLB To More Strictly Enforce Obstruction Rule

Mixed feelings on the FA period from me. I'm all for creating more urgency to sign FA's and stop the lingering process but my issue is how strict are they on FA signings after the period ends? Sure teams can make great moves during the period but what if there is still work to be done after the period? How can that be done? What if there are proper fits still available? I don't like restricting the chance to still add later. Take this Marlins and Tim Anderson connection right now. Say the Marlins were active in the FA period but spring training opens up and it's realized that an unsigned free agent would be a great add for the team, why can't they go sign him?

I want the urgency of a FA period with the flexibility to still making signings later if needed, is that even possible?

35 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Mixed feelings on the FA period from me. I'm all for creating more urgency to sign FA's and stop the lingering process but my issue is how strict are they on FA signings after the period ends? Sure teams can make great moves during the period but what if there is still work to be done after the period? How can that be done? What if there are proper fits still available? I don't like restricting the chance to still add later. Take this Marlins and Tim Anderson connection right now. Say the Marlins were active in the FA period but spring training opens up and it's realized that an unsigned free agent would be a great add for the team, why can't they go sign him?

I want the urgency of a FA period with the flexibility to still making signings later if needed, is that even possible?

There would still be a chance of adding later. At that point it's likely the C-tier and lower FAs anyhow. Trades could be made still.

It's typically the top guys who all get signed during those strict periods. Salaries won't deflate. Shoot they may even go up with that urgency.

Shut up, Das.

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Ok so then this loops the question back around to: is there really a FA period if they can still be signed later? 

Yes. This signing period is for multi-year deals, after would be one-year or ST NRIs.

Shut up, Das.