Here Comes Big Choi !

Marlins2003

Did You See the Black Callus In My Palm?

FEBRUARY 16, 2004 22:50

by Jong-Seok Kim ([email protected])

A black callus was seen in the palm of his right hand while he said to good-bye to his intimate friends.

Shaking hands with him and touching his palm, the palm was like the back skin of a turtle. He doesn?t easily form a callus because of his thick palm. Consequently, the callus points out that he has prepared himself well for a new season.

?Big Choi? Choi Hee-seop, the 25-year-old first baseman for the Florida Marlins, left for America with big hopes. Choi departed for Chicago through Incheon International Airport on February 16 after finishing an 80-day domestic schedule since his return to Korea on November 26 of last year. He is supposed to make preparations for the season in earnest.

Appearing at the exit wearing a black leather jacket, Choi spoke of his aspirations for the coming season with his tanned face and a bright look. He started by saying, ?I have stayed one more month in Korea than last year, and spent time with training and good conduct. I can now leave Korea happily.?

He looked satisfied with his intensive training for two months in the baseball camp of Namhae, Kyoungnam. ?I focused on batting exercises, while I concentrated on physical strength training last year. I am ready to play the game in 100 percent condition,? said Choi with confidence.

He also mentioned that he increased his skill to cope with the ball inside and curve balls as well against left-hand pitching, working on his weak points through an analysis of video and a correction to his batting form which he can?t yet expose to public. He also stated that he changed his passive attitudes against left-handed pitchers. He used the expression of ?I was astonished myself,? referring to results of training.

He opened his excited heart at the question of his movement to a new home, leaving Chicago Cubs. ?I remember the day when I left for Chicago five years ago. I am already thrilled to play for a new team.?

Choi said, ?My goal of this season is to perform twice as well compared to last season.? He played for 80 games, batted .218 and hit eight homeruns with 28 RBIs last season. He wants to perform double that in every field including the number of games played and homeruns.

Choi has to compete with Wil Cordero, who was just contracted with Florida in the position of first baseman. However he was confident saying, ?I can do better if I have a fair rival. I am confident, and it will be all right if I play as I have trained before.?

Getting focused in his new place where is called the ?Yao Ming of Florida,? Choi will pack his things during a 3-day stay in Chicago and will move to Jupiter, Florida where their spring training camp will open.

Choi Link

Choi said, ?My goal of this season is to perform twice as well compared to last season.? He played for 80 games, batted .218 and hit eight homeruns with 28 RBIs last season. He wants to perform double that in every field including the number of games played and homeruns.

hmmm, double the numbers?

i'll be expecting a .436 batting average. :mischief

hmmm, double the numbers?

i'll be expecting a .436 batting average. :mischief And 56 RBI...? :(

I agree with Cape, I am more worried about Dontrelle than Choi. But I like D-train's make-up - he is old school and I think has the ability and the mentality to succeed.

As for Choi - he will hit against righties while Cordero will hit against lefties. I think Choi will have a successful season and will show signs of great promise but he, like any other young player (except Cabrera, Willis...), will struggle at times. But that is what Cordero is for...

I am not saying Dontrelle will fail, but that his role will change and I would like Jack to put him in the bullpen when AJ is back to capacity in order to help shelter Dontrelle a little more. He still needs to grow and is still a rookie.

Cabs has his shelter in Conine, D-Dub needs his. I would like to see a six-man rotation until AJ is back to 100% capacity and then put D-Dub in the pen. The six man rotation gives our starters needed rest from May to July and gives the pen a fresher arm in August and September.

I am not saying Dontrelle will fail, but that his role will change and I would like Jack to put him in the bullpen when AJ is back to capacity in order to help shelter Dontrelle a little more. He still needs to grow and is still a rookie.

Cabs has his shelter in Conine, D-Dub needs his. I would like to see a six-man rotation until AJ is back to 100% capacity and then put D-Dub in the pen. The six man rotation gives our starters needed rest from May to July and gives the pen a fresher arm in August and September.

I agree somewhat with the 6-man rotation, but I hate the Dontrelle-to-the-pen idea. Why would you turn a promising 21-year-old starter into a reliever?

I see Jack doing what Jeff did for Beckett early in his career-- making him the fifth starter and not expecting much from him in the role. Kind of easing him in to one of the bette starters as time goes along...

Studies have shown that 5-man rotations have not extended a significant amount of players' careers any more than pitchers in 4-man rotations. So why have six starters? It would just leaves us weak in the bullpen and/or bench.

Anyway half of Burnett's rehabilitation is getting back into the rhythm of things. It's best that he starts every 5th day slowly building up his stamina..

please.

that is idiotic to have a six man rotation.

please learn something about pitching rotations and staffs and come back.