Everything posted by SirFishFan
-
100 Losses - We Did It Guys!
Obviously that part was a joke. However even though Arraez has been struggling the past week or so.. he’s still leading the NL in hits and batting average. He deserved a Arraez tracker thread much more than Jazz. Since he actually is a star player and did actually make a difference for the Marlins last year. 😂
-
100 Losses - We Did It Guys!
Don’t forget that 2019 season when the Marlins finished 57-105. Anyone have fond memories of that year? Curtis Granderson, Starlin Castro, Jorge Alfaro, Neil Walker, Martin Prado, Harold Ramirez, Caleb Smith, Jordan Yamamoto. 😂 In the past 5 years the Marlins have lost 100 games twice. Been to the post season twice. Have had 2 different managers of the year winners. Traded away 2 superstars( Arraez and Jazz) and two years in a row set some random mlb records - 12 consecutive one run wins to start a season in 2023. And most mlb players used in a single season with 70 on September 13, 2024. 😂 Who says being a Marlins fan isn’t fun? (Not talking to you Das.)
- The Jazz Tracker
-
1st round pick hurt, because...................we hire morons
Of course they are. “While diligently working on his swing during a rain delay. Our player selflessly ran over to assist a fellow player with a weight lifting exercise and in the process inadvertently injured the muscles in his back and chest. After X-rays were done it was determined that no muscles were broken and player is expected to make a full recovery.” - @SirFishFan imitation of a typical team pr statement 😂
-
The Jazz Tracker
Yeah I agree with that decision. He’s the Yankees problem now. Keeping up with his daily performance feels akin to keeping up with your ex and watching all their instagram posts with their new partner and thinking “that should be with me..” 😂 It’s time to move on from the past and press on forward to another 65-97 season! 😂
-
Marlins Trivia Pursuit #5
- Polly's September Game Thread
Wow. And right in front of your husband too. #pollyamory- The Jazz Tracker
Wait, did you use to post here under a different screen name?- Polly's September Game Thread
I don’t watch games anymore, just the highlights. However I noticed the Nats pitcher DJ Herz I’ve never heard of him before. Something about him seemed really familiar.. I couldn’t put my finger on it.. until a little while later it hit me.. 😳 Long lost son?- Marlins Trivia Pursuit #5
So just going off the top of my head of course and not looking up any answers and just relying on vague memories. 1) What Marlin took a fastball up & in only to hit a HR in the same at bat vs what pitcher in the World Series? I want to say Miguel Cabrera vs Roger Clemons 2) Name the Marlin who never wore batting gloves as a hitter? (If there is more than one, it must be the player I’m thinking lol) Moises Alou? 3) What Marlin coach was fired and replaced by Jack McKeon? Jeff Torborg 4) Marlins drafted and traded what pitcher that went on to be a 2x CY winner and is a ballot on the HOF? That’s a hard one.. because I know that a lot of great pitchers played for the Marlins in the past.. I think I vaguely remember hearing something bout Johan Santana being drafted by the Marlins but never played for them.. he could fit the bill of that question, but honestly I don’t remember if he won any Cy Young awards. So I’m not confident enough just based off the top of my head to give an answer. So I will skip giving an answer for this question. 5) The last name of what Marlin was referenced when error(s) occurred after his ALL-STAR performance? Somehow I’m thinking Dan Uggla for some reason so I’ll go with that as my answer. 6) What Marlin often times wore a hat/cap under his batting helmet? No idea.- The Jazz Tracker
Well to be fair. He is married to the Admin. So I mean.. he probably thinks that entitles him to lock threads at will. Its funny because he’s always at cocktail parties almost every night and just shows up at home to use the admin computer to lock threads then he calls a cab and heads back out to the discotheque.- The Jazz Tracker
(But my friends call me Jazz.) 😂- The Jazz Tracker
A few weeks ago there was a discussion on another thread about most underrated players and someone said they were surprised that Jazz wasn’t on that list. I made a post responding and wrote that I actually thought that Jazz was overrated and the reasons why. I didn’t even know about that poll. Which I just discovered that @Michael made a thread back in June about it. So, there @pollythewog it’s not just me who thinks Jazz is overrated.- Marlins Trivia Pursuit #4
That one I know! And I have the full story. I remember hearing it on a broadcast all the way back in 2003. The answer is Alex Gonzalez and the story they gave on that broadcast was that the nickname was given to him by Kevin Millar who said that Alex Gonzalez face and facial expression looked like a dead Sea Bass. 😂- Polly's September Game Thread
I just watched the highlights and holy cow, the Marlins actually looked like a fun and exciting team today for the first time in a long time. Conine 3-4, Norby 2 HR 4 rbi day, Sanoja 2-4 with a 2B and rbi. Cabrera lights out pitching. I know it was just one game and to be fair I didn’t watch it just saw the recap highlights. However from what I saw in this game highlights gives me a small sliver of hope for next year. Still a lot of things to figure out. But if years down the road we look back and realize that the real benefit of this terrible horrid season was to give a chance to some of these younger players like Conine and Sanoja and others to get a chance to play in MLB and show they belong instead of being held back by players like Avi and DLC and hopefully start to build a new core of players for the next few seasons. Then it would have been worth it. If nothing else just getting rid of Avi Garcia was the whole highlight of this year for me. 😂- 2024 Roster Moves Thread
Maybe for having the same name as a restaurant. Seriously that’s a real restaurant in Long Island New York. 😂- Relievers on only one team for the longest time?
Thanks for having a word with @Michael I’m sure the whole site will benefit from less profanity from @Michael- 2024 Roster Moves Thread
Even one about your strong dislike of the music genre if you so desire!- Relievers on only one team for the longest time?
I’m sorry @Michael I won’t do it again. @Admin can you please have a word with @Michael about his profanity use. Thanks!- Polly's September Game Thread
Is that supposed to be something noteworthy? A team’s owner at the stadium watching the team play a home game? I don’t keep track so maybe Bruce doesn’t go to a lot of games and this is something special. Say what you want about Loria.. he had almost every Marlins fan as a hater at some point (myself included) and for good reason, but at least the guy acted like an owner as far as he was there all the time watching games so nobody would tweet about it when he was at the stadium. 😂- Relievers on only one team for the longest time?
Another factor is, how many pitchers begin their careers straight out as dominant relief pitchers? I mean I’m sure there are some right now. But I guess what I’m trying to say is most of the time if a younger pitcher has amazing pitching ability probably the team will try to have him as a starter and then perhaps later on if it’s determined that he’s better suited for a relief role might get converted to RP. Thats exactly what happened to Mariano Rivera. In his first season in 1995 he pitched in 19 games and 10 of those were starts. After that season, he never started another game again the rest of his career and was full time relief pitcher from 1996-2013. So in that case Mariano Rivera just might go down as the only relief pitcher to have a career that long and outstanding on just one team. The Nationals for example could have done something similar with Stephen Strasburg. Of course he was way more valuable as a starting pitcher. But he was with the Nats his entire career and if he was a RP.. chances are he would have also stayed on the Nats his entire career as a RP. But he didn’t. So that’s a dumb hypothetical. 😂 Marlins should go a similar route with Eury Perez. In fact I think that @Michael should ask his friend who is friends with Craig Mish to ask Craig Mish to bring up the idea to Bendix about making Eury Perez a RP after this year and then keeping him on the Marlins for his entire career so he can be another Mariano Rivera and answer @SilverBullet question in about 15 years. Thanks!- Polly's September Game Thread
Yeah like everything else related to the Marlins (crowd size, fan engagement, feeling of excitement) it all just comes down to winning. Even being 5 games over .500 is a night and day difference. I hate to say it.. but for the Marlins. Winning games is a literal cure all for all their problems. We’re not the Red Sox where even if they’re 10 under .500 will still sell out Fenway park. Yeah hopefully better days ahead next year.- Polly's September Game Thread
No.. you can start with individual game threads and keep them! Like normal. Like how things always were at least since I got here. 😂 Monthly game threads are lame and do not encourage forum interaction and member engagement (no, Pollythewog, not that kind of engagement. Which I think probably you’ve had a few.) I don’t pretend to know about these things. But I would guess that one of the goals of this message board is more member interaction and I feel like monthly game threads just breed an overall feeling of apathy (to be fair the entire Marlins season made that feeling. But a monthly game thread makes it worse. IMO) Of course all of this is just my opinion. I don’t expect anyone else to agree with it. But just wanted to post this. In the past I would interact with daily game threads at least 3-4 times a week. The monthly game threads maybe 3-4 times a month if that. 😂- Relievers on only one team for the longest time?
Nope. My first guess was Braden Looper.. but that wasn’t correct as he played 5 seasons for the Marlins. From what I found it was a tie between Mike Dunn, AJ Ramos, Steve Cishek and Antonio Alfonseca who each played in 6 different seasons for the Marlins. Fun fact: Mike Dunn holds the record for most games played by a Marlins pitcher with 405. I would say out of all MLB teams the Marlins are probably at the very bottom of the list of teams that would potentially have a player play their entire MLB career on the same team.- Relievers on only one team for the longest time?
Yeah.. that guy was nasty as a closer though.. especially around that ‘03 time. Even though I’m not a Braves fan at all.. and I used to hate watching Smoltz pitch especially against the Marlins. Now looking back I have to give mad respect for how insane he was as a closer. Of course he was always top notch pitcher as a starter as well.. but those years he became a closer was definitely intimidating for the other team having him come in. - Polly's September Game Thread